Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airport Express for AirPlay over Wired Connection

• 22-03-2012 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've cat6 wired to a couple of points around the house and was hoping to have multi-room audio in sync for parties etc.
    I've been burned by trying to rely on wireless before and want to know if anyone is using an Airport Express through it's ethernet connection.

To expand a bit, main PC / Media server is under the stairs and all the cat6 points terminate under the stairs on a patch panel along with my router which does all the work (D-Link 657 HD media router).

Anyone use AirPlay like this over wired? Love the iTunes Remote app and the idea of AirPlay being used like this but have a preference for wired connections.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

this lad reckons it should work fine most of the time.
    http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/27408/do-multiple-airport-expresses-keep-itunes-audio-synchronized

It would be interesting to know if the reality is the same as the theory.

I have a sonos system so synchronisation is guaranteed (and it works like a treat) . Thats probably not an option for you.

What I have in addition though for a cheap way of wiring in the kitchen/ bathroom, is a set of wireless speakers.
    This one to be exact: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Connected-Essentials-HPL200-Wireless-Speakers/dp/B0001I51DW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332405130&sr=8-3
    Sound is very impressive for the size of them, transmitter is very good so long as the input is set to a reasonably high volume - I have one speaker about 30m from the base and a number of VERY solid walls in between are no problem to it.
    Each speaker has its own power connection so you can have them in different rooms, or even batttery powered for use in a garage or patio.
    EDIT: should have mentioned, the wireless speakers are in sync to the millisecond with the incoming audio as they are analogue with no buffering or other messing that you get with digital systems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

I know it can be set up this way I just wanted to see if any one else on boards had experience with using AirPlay over ethernet (I've my shed with a Cat6 feed too).

It's for the house warming and the plan is to have two points out the back (once of which may be the main PC / media server moved down to the shed) and then make use of the tv in the kitchen and another cat6 point I've put mid way down the garden that would be covered. (Garden is quite long!).

If it works like it should it would be great but if it doesn't . . . silence!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

Why not use apple tv's?
    Almost the same price, more functionality, and no issues with ethernet

johndoc wrote: »
    Why not use apple tv's?
    Almost the same price, more functionality, and no issues with ethernet

Liked the idea of a music streamer and additional wi-fi access point in one unit as the back garden is quite long but one of the units will feed off the Cat6 in the shed and do the wireless for the half of the garden the router in the house can't reach.
    If it all works I should be able to have a garden full of music and be able to use the wireless and the Remote app on my iPhone to change songs etc. producing a house warming to the envy of all nerds in attendance.

Got 2 refurbished AirPort Express' for €66 each with free delivery from Apple.
    One of the new Apple TV's may interest me down the road if XBMC can go on it and maintain the ability to play 1080p content.

• Advertisement

They arrived this afternoon. First point setup and streaming music without a skip or pop within 10 mins. Awesomely simply to setup (it is Apple so that's to be expected...)
    Very very impressed.

So to anyone else, yes it will work and work pretty well as far as I can tell!

Advertisement