Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MEngSc Biopharmaceutical Engineering

• 22-03-2012 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone here doing this course full or part time... at the moment or previously? How's it going for you?

Looking into doing it in September. Trying to decide between full & part time. Financially I think I will be able to do it full time (Sept - May) so i'm leaning towards this and getting it done quicker.

I'm contracting in the biopharma industry right now, but I believe my lack of process knowledge is hindering me if jobs are posted internally. My undergrad is in Manufacturing Eng.(hons).

Do you recommend the course and are graduates successful in the job market afterwards? Biopharma/Bioprecess is prob the area to be in at the moment I believe. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 waseqr

cHi 00lk,

it really depends on you. no real distinction between full time and part time other than the fact that you will be finished sooner on the full time.
    It actually runs from September to September for full time as there is a project element to it. Depending on weather you chose a design project or research you will be in the college on a full time basis over the summer for the second one.

The course it's self is ok. Not a very high standard more of an overview aimed at a diverse audience. not many on the course are in the industry directly most of the class are last years undergrads. As a rule it depends what area you are working in as a lot of it maybe familiar to you if you have already been working in industry.

The main issue I would have with the course is the lack of anything in depth most courses are given at a level which would not push you too much. Some of the lectures are great and give it their all. A lot of the course overlaps with the feeling that some subjects are being thought twice.
    Also be aware that you will be in lectures with undergrads at different stages more so if you are taking the science modules aimed at the engineers(all 4 of them are at 2nd year or third year undergrad level).

As far as it getting you a job. To be honest I would imagine that it may help as you have the experience to back it up. but I would not rely on it alone. Susan McDonnell is the course coordinator and she should be able to provide some statics. Bear in mind that the full time course is only in its 2nd year at the moment.
    I personally found that it had no relationship to me getting my job. That went on my experience.
    I have to say though that there is a lot of flexibility a few have changed from full to part time.

There are other course that maybe of interest which are very similar in their output DCU run one which my old boss went on and thought it was great. Their notes seem quite good. Like the UCD one some of the modules are thought in TCD.
    Also IT Sligo have an online version and UCC have something also.
    all in all i would check out my options before I would apply for this course again. While I did not dislike it I was disappointed at some of the content.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 waseqr

as regards the employment rate not sure. but remember no such thing as a magic bullet as regards getting into an area.
    also you should do what interests you instead of hoping to use this as a lever into the 'career' of the moment. This is an evolving industry and there is a lot of cross over between 'regular' / biopharma/ environmental and med devices as regards people and qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Sorry for digging up an old thread...

I am currently working in the Biopharmaceutical Industry in Quality but I am looking to upskill in bioprocess/production.

Would love to hear from others who have done this course, particularly those that have opted for the part time course.

How does the project element fit the part time constraints? How many days of lectures per week? What are the methods of assessment? Have you benefited from completing the course?

Thanks in advance! Any information on the couse would be greatly appreciated. ☺

Advertisement