Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iMessage gone bat**** crazy ?

• 22-03-2012 9:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone else has ever encountered with imessage on ipad2.

Woke up this morning to see three extra messages, and I don't speak Romanian... Secondly, the numbers aren't in my contact list. I'm baffled.

197201.PNG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

weird.

but at the risk of stereotyping, the fact that its romanian would be a huge red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭MAR86

I don't know how this could have happened, but the phone number is romanian alright, the network is Orange, it looks like a conversation between 2 girls, looking to catch up after an exam :)

From what i can read, it doesn't look like a scam, maybe it is a mistake, but i wouldn't be 100% sure

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Only Apple can help solve this mystery :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Wasn't there a bug that if you restore a device that the iMessage ID remains?

So if I restore my phone, sell phone, they send iMessage to a contact with the phone, the recipient sees my number as the sender?

Think I read that on here.

Did you buy the iPad second hand OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

So if I restore my phone, sell phone, they send iMessage to a contact with the phone, the recipient sees my number as the sender?

Yeah Stainless, bought on adverts.ie from an Irish seller though.
    I haven't restored the device since I got it either. Will post more later as I'm stuck in work at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

that sounds more likely. i a full reset and sw update will most likely fix this, dont restore from back up, set it up as new.

BUT before you do, go into imessage settings and see what details are under "recieve at" and let us know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I just sold my old 3GS today. Hearing stuff like this really worries me.

that sounds more likely. i a full reset and sw update will most likely fix this, dont restore from back up, set it up as new.

BUT before you do, go into imessage settings and see what details are under "recieve at" and let us know.

In my iMessage settings, "Receive at", is my apple ID email address.

The device is jailbroken, I'm not that pushed about updating the firmware because I will lose the jailbreak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I just sold my old 3GS today. Hearing stuff like this really worries me.

Yeah thankfully I sold my 3GS to a friend so not too worried if it happens. Could turn out humourus in fact.

Mine kicked off again this evening and is messaging away as I type here.

Shot a little bit of video: Note there is no text in the input box yet messages are appearing as if they were sent my me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Unless the device has been reset properly you will receive the previous owners iMessages. It hasn't been hacked, it was just never restored to factory settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I sold my iPhone last year and Im pretty sure I had the sense to factory reset it.
    Is there any way to make sure I did that? Like a list of devices that access iMessage?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Trotter wrote: »
    I sold my iPhone last year and Im pretty sure I had the sense to factory reset it.
    Is there any way to make sure I did that? Like a list of devices that access iMessage?

No, not that I'm aware of. It's something Apple could certainly do with implementing though.

No, not that I'm aware of. It's something Apple could certainly do with implementing though.

If the old phone is gone from the find my iPhone list, thats a decent sign that the link was broken between the old phone and my iCloud/iMessage account though right?

(Sorry for hijacking the thread OP!)

If the old phone is gone from the find my iPhone list, thats a decent sign that the link was broken between the old phone and my iCloud/iMessage account though right?

Not really a hijack as it's a "related" issue :)

I updated the ipad this evening to the latest IOS 5.1, and lost my jailbreak and related stuff.

I hope this sorts the issue out.

I hadn't thought of that. If so, I guess it's a bad sign that two of my old devices are showing up. :o Although it seems you can remove them using the iCloud website. I'm still not sure this would solve the iMessage issue.

I hadn't thought of that. If so, I guess it's a bad sign that two of my old devices are showing up. :o Although it seems you can remove them using the iCloud website. I'm still not sure this would solve the iMessage issue.

The other thing Im thinking of is that I went from an iPhone 3GS to a 4S. That meant the 3GS sim was cancelled by the network and a new microsim with my number activated for the 4S.

All those things combined, Im hoping Im not in the OP's position.

The other thing Im thinking of is that I went from an iPhone 3GS to a 4S. That meant the 3GS sim was cancelled by the network and a new microsim with my number activated for the 4S.

I don't think that would make any difference. The issue is that Apple's servers have the number and/or email address registered to that device.

I still suspect this bug is mostly a result of people either not restoring their phone, or restoring but then activating it using their SIM. I don't know what happened in the OP's case though.

It's a very nasty bug. Apple need to provide away to de-authorise devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lackagh1970

I got new microsim today and after doing restore on itunes, imessage perfect again

Advertisement