Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC application question

Options
  • 22-03-2012 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hello all

OK I did a lot of searching but can't find an answer to this.

Basically myself and my girlfriend have everything we need to begin our IEC application. When we went through the check-list again last night we realised that she had been in Australia for 7 months and may need a police cert for this.

Would it be ridiculously stupid to leave this out?
    Do they run your passport number to see if you've resided in other countries?

I think I may know the answer to this already :(
    Is there much of a wait for certs from Oz?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JamesA1984

I'm pretty sure they will check your passports when you get there if not beforehand - imagine the dissapointment if you get turned away at immigration because of it and banned from the country because of a false declaration.

I was in the same boat, it was dissapointing that I got to the point where I could apply with everything but the aussie certificate - the good news is they were very efficient, I got mine back 3 weeks after I sent it so I think all in all it is worth it to do it legitimately. All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭8vjohn

JamesA1984 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they will check your passports when you get there if not beforehand - imagine the dissapointment if you get turned away at immigration because of it and banned from the country because of a false declaration.

I was in the same boat, it was dissapointing that I got to the point where I could apply with everything but the aussie certificate - the good news is they were very efficient, I got mine back 3 weeks after I sent it so I think all in all it is worth it to do it legitimately. All the best!

The thing is she has a brand new passport since last week as she needed it be valid for the full year when in canada.

How do you go about applying to the Australian police for a cert?

Thanks for the response by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 squigels

Yeah this has caught me out as well, no one here would recommend lying on a visa application form. If they want to find you they will. I am going to be waiting weeks for this Australian police cert (based on their 15 working day processing time + time it takes to arrive) so I sent everything else in to the IEC with the expectation of having it by the time IEC get back to me. I'm gonna state the obvious that I have Garda clearance from Ireland and it's unlikely I turned into Ned Kelly while in Australia.

To get an Australian Police Cert, fill out

http://www.afp.gov.au/~/media/afp/pdf/n/national-police-check-application-form.ashx

Print off with copy of your passport (They don't want copies of Non-Australian driver licences)

Unlike the Irish clearance it costs money so you have to go to your bank and ask for a bankers draft for AU$45.

Send to

Australian Federal Police
    Criminal Records
    Locked Bag 8550
    CANBERRA ACT 2601

What I have done is attach a letter detailing my times of entry and exit from Australia, my immigration visa number and the passport number I entered under as well, and that if they require anything else e-mail or ring me as if they send the form back rejected I'm really stuck for this Canada visa.

It's a bit of a disaster to be honest but best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭snoopmadra

sorry for hi-jacking thread,but can any one tell me what to answer for this question??

Indicate your highest level of education

"FTS" refers to "full-time or full-time equivalent studies"
    "diploma" refers to a diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship (not university)
    "Bachelor’s degree" refers to a University degree at the bachelor’s level

im a carpenter,who served the standard 4 year apprenticeship with FAS and have 12 years experience on site(including apprenticeship)....thanks in advance:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭rjessome

snoopmadra wrote: »
    sorry for hi-jacking thread,but can any one tell me what to answer for this question??

Indicate your highest level of education

"FTS" refers to "full-time or full-time equivalent studies"
    "diploma" refers to a diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship (not university)
    "Bachelor’s degree" refers to a University degree at the bachelor’s level

im a carpenter,who served the standard 4 year apprenticeship with FAS and have 12 years experience on site(including apprenticeship)....thanks in advance:)

It's considered a Trade Certificate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭snoopmadra

rjessome wrote: »
    It's considered a Trade Certificate.

thanks,after going on i realised how silly a question that was :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pbreen

what about applying for PR when in canada , when you already stated that you did not live in Australia, but infact you did. could be in deep **** there

Advertisement