Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War and Peace Translation

Options
  • 22-03-2012 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I was looking to purchase this book but there's so many versions I'm a bit confused.

Can anyone recommend a good translation of the book for someone who doesn't read a lot normally?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

This question seems to come up every few months. The Maude translation is probably the most well-regarded. It's in the public domain, so it's used for cheap editions such as Wordsworth Classics, and is available free via download.

War and Peace is not hard to read, btw - apart from it's length and large cast of characters there's nothing difficult about it. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

My copy is the Penguin Classics edition translated by Anthony Briggs and in the preface it actually mentions the tribulations of a translator. Some, it says, attempt a pure translation with literal translations of the original Russian. An example it gives is, when asked if one studied in Kiev the appropriate response, if replying in the affirmative would be, 'In Kiev'.

Some of the older translations would be much more orthodox I'd imagine.

Here's a link to a review of his translation: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2005/oct/08/classics.leonikolaevichtolstoy

Advertisement