Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting house rewired

Options
  • 22-03-2012 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a house rewired and as this is kind of a once in a generation type job, I'm just wondering what "non-standard" features should I be thinking about now that I might regret in the future if I omit.

At the moment I'm thinking about:

-Wired smoke and carbon monoxide alarms
    -Outdoor security lighting
    -Outdoor power point for lawnmower etc
    -Four sockets at TV points in living room and playroom

Anything else I should be thinking about?

I've heard of people doing data cabling but what's the point of that with everything wifi nowadays ?

I like the lighting from halogen but is everyone going LED nowadays?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

wired networking is simpler and less troublesome

fit the smoke heat co according to building regs and manufacturer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

M cebee wrote: »
    wired networking is simpler and less troublesome

Fair enough but we use a macbook air (no ethernet port), an ipad and there are a couple of smart phones in the house so none of these benefit from cabling. The PS3 is beside the UPC router so can be wired if required. Domestic data cabling is starting to sound a bit noughties for most users.

if that's all you're doing on your home network -then yes you don't need cabling,
    wi-fi will do

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Maybe leave feeds out for garden lights,electric gates and power for a shed etc.

A 2.5 and a 1.5 feed up to the attic for lights and a socket.
    A supply for future solar panels.
    Atleast 4 coax cables to the attic in case you ever mount a dish so sky wont come along and clip them down the front of your house.
    I would always run atleast 4 coax and 1 CAT5 to the main TV and 2 coax and 1 CAT5 to all other tv points around the house and run everything back to a single point(Utility room etc)and not back to behind your main TV.

When it comes to sockets its a simple case of its better looking at them than for them so dont skimp this part,The most common extra i see in new houses is people wanting more sockets or an electric shower think about that one too it would do no harm running the wire even if your not planning on having one installed yet..

If you are going with downlights GU10 LED`s are the definatly the way to go.

The best thing I find is for the client to walk the house room by room with the electrician with a tin of spray paint and mark every socket and switch where the client wants them as its alot easier to visualize the finished layout as opposed to the electrician working off a plan.
    The important thing to remember is it is your house and you will be living in it not the electrician, architect or interior designer so put the points where you want and feel they will be most needed..

Get yourself a good electrician and he should be able to advice you on everything on site in your walk around.

Good luck with it.

apparently some sky installers dont use the cables in the attic

always wondered what was goin on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

run a cat5/6 upstairs and to the attic from the router just encase you have any wifi weak spots you can then setup a hard wired access point to over come this....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

apparently some sky installers dont use the cables in the attic

always wondered what was goin on
    They claim they are not insured to go into attics. It's really because it involves more work than just clipping it down and around the wall outside.
    Personally, I'd run them if they weren't willing to go into the attic and connect onto the existing cables.

I'd agree that 2 coax and 1 cat 5e to each tv point is the way to go. And at least 4 to the main tv. And insist on ct100 coax or equivalent. None of the rg6 rubbish most sparks put in.

yes 2 coax mimimum afaik for fta/freesat+saorview

2 network cables needed for hdmi?
    cant remember

and if course netflix now

wifi is alright for browsing on the move-no way is wired networking on the way out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

yes 2 coax mimimum afaik for fta/freesat+saorview

2 network cables needed for hdmi?
    cant remember

and if course netflix now

wifi is alright for browsing on the move-no way is wired networking on the way out

Yes 2 cat5/6 cables are needed for HDMI over data cables

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Fair enough but we use a macbook air (no ethernet port), an ipad and there are a couple of smart phones in the house so none of these benefit from cabling. The PS3 is beside the UPC router so can be wired if required. Domestic data cabling is starting to sound a bit noughties for most users.

Remember if you have network cabling installed it permits you to install several wirless routers all linked together around your home ensuring good reception everywhere. I like to surf the net at the end of my garden with my iPad :)

Depending on the size of your home, the materials used and how many walls there are between you and the router the signal can deterioate significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what "non-standard" features should I be thinking about now that I might regret in the future if I omit.

It is good to plan ahead like this and put some thought into electrical design. Too many people ignore this at their peril.

Installing extras (or provision for extras if money is tight) will cost far less to install as the house is being built.

BTW everything you have suggested below is very standard now.

-Wired smoke and carbon monoxide alarms

As M Cebee said "fit the smoke heat co according to building regs and manufacturer".
    Sound advice.

In addition I always like to have a rate of rise heat detector in the kitchen. This will not be set off by smoke from burning toast or by heat alone. A rapid rise in temperature will set it off.

-Outdoor security lighting

I would suggest that you check out the Stinel range.

-Outdoor power point for lawnmower etc

Good idea. In the past I generally drilled through the wall at the back of and indoor socket to provide an outdoor socket. MK Masterseal are best IMHO.

If you have a large garden you may consider installing a socket (fed by an armored cable such as an SWA) at the end of the garden and/or garden lighting.

-Four sockets at TV points in living room and playroom

The trend now is to have a single power point for the screen. This point would have wiring to another position that would have a satellite box, DVD player, media player, and network point for computer. As M Cebee pointed out Netflix is now available. Between these two points would be at least 1 HDMI cable.

Personally I think the days of satellite TV are numbered, the future is streaming film, music, photos and TV

In the "old days" big boxy TVs were installed in the corner of rooms on pieces of furniture. Nowadays flat screens tend to be installed away from the corners and are frequently wall mounted. Personally I think that this minimalist look is far more appealing and acoustically it is better too.

As flat screen TVs become slimmer so do the speakers within them. In general as speakers become thinner sound quality decreases. Due to this and a number of other factors more and more people are installing sound systems which they use when watching TV.

Also remember the most comfortable way to watch TV is when the center of the screen is at the same level as your eyes when you are watching TV. Many people mount screens far too high in my opinion. This means that they are always looking up and viewing the screen at an angle, thus getting an elongated view and a sore neck!

Speaker positions and the quality of speaker cable is crucial. Many people mount the speakers far too high.
    In general surround speakers should be at ear level when you are in your TV viewing position. Mid range speaker should be lower with the front mid speaker just under the screen. Base speaker generally on the ground, as the sound from this is mono and lower frequency its exact location is less important.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Speakers and TV positions, see above

I like the lighting from halogen but is everyone going LED nowadays?

Personally I think that energy efficient lighting such as LED is preferable for many areas in the home, but I prefer halogen for areas where light quality is most important such as kitchen and sitting room.

Advertisement