Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slight flea problem - cats

• 22-03-2012 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have two cats and I have a problem (not excessive) with fleas.

Basically I knew one had them due to a bit of scratching etc.. So of course I did the usual. I flea-bombed the house, bathed the cats, applied flea repellent and have constantly been checking their coats.

When I look at their coats I rarely see anything so it's not a very huge problem. However when I run the flea comb through their fur, I will sometimes pick up the odd flea. This has been going on some months. A lot of times I will find nothing. Sometimes I may find a single flea and rarely.. two. Even getting rid of these, there always seems to be another a week or so down the line.
    I was always told that one flea can turn into a huge problem in a very short time however this does not seem to be happening.

Any tips on how I can solve this problem once and for all? They are both indoor cats and have been brought to the vet and had the flea spot put on there too. I guess they are due to a check-up in the coming months but I would rather sort it before then.

Many thanks.

Nox

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Probably a silly question but are you sure its fleas? Fleas on an indoor cat arent that common especially on ones that have been flea treated so well. Fleas on cats in general isnt as common as on dogs as they are fastidious groomers. Have they got access at all to the outdoors where they could possibly pick up the odd grain mite?

The problem with fleas is they can live for 1-2 years (!!!) without feeding and hide in little cracks,under the corners of rugs and carpets etc. If it definitely is them the only thing i can think of is your "flea bombing" isnt reaching the nooks and crevices where some are lying dormant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I'd be 99% sure it's fleas. These guys have stripey red / brown butts and look pretty much like what I see on a Google search. Also plenty of flea dirt on the cats.

Poor feckers are being bitten and pooped on and there is little all I can do. I guess I can try another flea bomb and see how it goes. Will just buy more cans this time and make sure to get everywhere I can.

The cats don't seem to mind to much but every so often they stop whatever they are doing to scratch / bite at themselves. I usually rush over with the flea comb at that point and try get where they just scratched. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

The problem is definitely environmental then unfortunately. I could understand if they were picking them up from outside, but if continuing reoccurrence is happening indoors there has to be areas untreated by your bombs. Boil wash their bedding, even throw it out if needs be. Fumigate rugs and ALL carpet edges and see how that goes.

PM'ing you a question if interested too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Don't forget to hoover like a demon and either change the bag after every go or pop a flea collar in there.

What spot ons have you been using on the cats? I find some better than others.

Also Acclaim or Indorex are pretty good environmental sprays which kill all adults and gives 12 months protection against hatching eggs.

Advertisement