Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't use my AIB account - will it still be charged?

Options
  • 22-03-2012 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I have an old AIB account, I used to use it as my daily bank up until about 2 years ago, switched to Ulster Bank then. I currently have a balance of €0.00 in 2 accounts (1 current, 1 saving).

My question is simple: will these accounts face charges based on AIB's announcement yesterday? Would it be safer to close out the accounts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey,

I have an old AIB account, I used to use it as my daily bank up until about 2 years ago, switched to Ulster Bank then. I currently have a balance of €0.00 in 2 accounts (1 current, 1 saving).

My question is simple: will these accounts face charges based on AIB's announcement yesterday? Would it be safer to close out the accounts?

Close them, Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

listermint wrote: »
    Close them, Yes.

Righteo joe... Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

chances are they have already incurred charges.

at the moment AIB is only free banking if you use the phone and internet banking once each quarter aswell as use a debit card once each quarter.

if you go into the bank to close your account/s you may have to pay to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Frynge wrote: »
    chances are they have already incurred charges.

at the moment AIB is only free banking if you use the phone and internet banking once each quarter aswell as use a debit card once each quarter.

if you go into the bank to close your account/s you may have to pay to do so

Went in today, asked to close it. Dude said okay, he would just have to post the details to my branch (I went to the branch closest to work, my account is closer to home though).

No mention of any charges/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

dulpit wrote: »
    Went in today, asked to close it. Dude said okay, he would just have to post the details to my branch (I went to the branch closest to work, my account is closer to home though).

No mention of any charges/etc.

AIB don't charge if the account is not used for the period.

Transactions between your own accounts on the same number line do not attract charges.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And the minimum charge of €4.50 only applies if there has been at least one transaction on your account in any quarter period, most recently, 26th Nov-24th Feb, being AIB's most recent quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

kceire wrote: »
    And the minimum charge of €4.50 only applies if there has been at least one transaction on your account in any quarter period, most recently, 26th Nov-24th Feb, being AIB's most recent quarter.
    nope you're wrong. i've an old aib account with over 5k in it.i have it tor a rainy day.no transactions for 12 months. on my last statement i'm charged 4.50 per quarter. i'm gonna get the finger out and shut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

kceire wrote: »

As things currently stand, until May 2012, you escape fees if you make one transaction online and one Laser transaction per quarter.
    • Day-to-day banking: €4.50 per quarter and €0.20 per electronic transactions and €0.30 per branch/manual transactions OR free if you comply with the below conditions before May 28 2012:
      (1) You use your debit Card at least once per quarter AND
      (2) You use internet banking at least once per quarter.
    • Day-to-day banking: €4.50 per quarter and €0.20 per electronic transactions and €0.30 per branch/manual transactions OR free if you comply with the below conditions after May 28 2012:
      (1) Maintain a balance of at least €2,500 every day for a full 'fee quarter'. The 'fee quarter' ends on the last business day, that is a Friday, in February, May, August and November of each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 pitiviperx

I think AIB are just plain idiots. who wants to keep in their current account over €2500 at all times? i certainly wouldn't. before may i will open an account in Ulster Bank and transfer all my funds in that and than just close down my AIB one.
    A lot of people will do this move. AIB only has to lose bringing in this new way of free banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would anyone know if you have a current account and a one year long term savings account will you still have to pay the charge if you have more then the 2.5 thousand on the long term account but not in the regualr current account used on a daily basis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

If you never used your bank account are there charges? I have a bank account, BOI not AIB, that was set up about 10 years ago when I was in school and never used it at all. Do I need to track this down and close it? (if BOI go down the same route of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭GSF

Sala wrote: »
    If you never used your bank account are there charges? I have a bank account, BOI not AIB, that was set up about 10 years ago when I was in school and never used it at all. Do I need to track this down and close it? (if BOI go down the same route of course)
    If the balance is zero and you have no overdraft facility I'd like to see how they can charge you.

I wrote to AIB branch last December asking them to close a €0 balance account - still waiting for an acknowledgement of my letter so I dont think AIB are ultra efficient in closing accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DAT64

Sala wrote: »

No fees for students with BOI/AIB so dont worry that account is just lying idle not incurring fees. :)

billyhead wrote: »
    Would anyone know if you have a current account and a one year long term savings account will you still have to pay the charge if you have more then the 2.5 thousand on the long term account but not in the regualr current account used on a daily basis?

You will still pay fees on your current account Billyhead!! Doesnt seem fair though!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

I have an old AIB student plus account which earns 0.02 % interest. There has been €1.27 in for years, it recently ticked over to €1.28.

A €4.50 per quarter charge will spoil my long term investment strategy, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to end my relationship with AIB, I'm sure they will be devastated.... the cost of not sending me a statement every six months might ease their pain!

LOL! They will be gutted!

Advertisement