Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden 13

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Nothing worse than having no options... taking off making 10-15 yards and then getting hammered and fumbling!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Whats your best option say when your QB has the ball and all your passing options seem to be covered? leg it with him?

Best thing to do is throw the ball away mate. Click the right stick and the QB will do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Paully D wrote: »
    marko93 wrote: »
    I don't know too much about individual teams, but I often find myself straying from my running game plan when I'm down a few TDs. What teams are best suited for running?

Also anyone on PS3 wanting a few games I'm up for it!
    marko93101

Texans, Ravens, Eagles and 49ers are good run teams in Madden 13. Vikings and Jaguars have the two best rated running backs but their teams overall are pretty poor.
    Thanks! Think I'll give the Ravens a bash!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I absolutely despise the way WRs have to look before you can throw the ball. On many routes, like the streak route against the blue zone, you need to throw the ball just as he's getting into place to go past the CB and before the safety can reach him, but he's not looking and the safety is there and always makes the pick by the time you can throw.

matthew8 wrote: »
    I absolutely despise the way WRs have to look before you can throw the ball. On many routes, like the streak route against the blue zone, you need to throw the ball just as he's getting into place to go past the CB and before the safety can reach him, but he's not looking and the safety is there and always makes the pick by the time you can throw.

It's a far, far better system than in previous years though where the WR's seemed to have eyes in the back of their heads. This is much more realistic and one of the best things they've added IMO.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    It's a far, far better system than in previous years though where the WR's seemed to have eyes in the back of their heads. This is much more realistic and one of the best things they've added IMO.

Well, why not just let me throw the ball whenever anyway and if they're not looking when it arrives they simply don't see it and can't make the catch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You can still throw it at the player whenever.

Well, why not just let me throw the ball whenever anyway and if they're not looking when it arrives they simply don't see it and can't make the catch.

That is what happens, isn't it? :confused:

SantryRed wrote: »
    You can still throw it at the player whenever.

It's deceiving if the button doesn't show up.

It's deceiving if the button doesn't show up.

Learn the passing game more and know your routes ;):p

• Advertisement

Have to say I'm loving the Cowboys. All 3 WRs burners with the GOAT at QB and a good HB/OL. Secondary is fixed on last year and the front 7 is a good converted 4-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Do we have a community set up yet? Thought I saw a code for it somewhere but can't find it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Raoul

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Do we have a community set up yet? Thought I saw a code for it somewhere but can't find it again...

Its in the sticky thread. Search for boards and password is Ireland.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Some questions guys,is there anywhere I can read up on defensive plays?
    Like playing there when I think the opposition might run the ball so I can pick plays that defend that? just to know the difference between them
    And also whats the correct etiquette with time management?
    Like in a game where there's a few minutes left and you have a lead,is it frowned upon to run down the clock? (figure I better ask these questions before the league starts)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Like playing there when I think the opposition might run the ball so I can pick plays that defend that? just to know the difference between them
    Like in a game where there's a few minutes left and you have a lead,is it frowned upon to run down the clock? (figure I better ask these questions before the league starts)

Good game man, no matter how many times I double-covered Welker Brady kept finding him!

If you want to guess a type of play the opponent is going to run hold down LT and a list will pop up (pass, run, run left, run right, etc.) to adjust your defense in a simple manner.

No bad etiquette really on time management, best to have a read through our rules in the forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056569083
    Covers bad sportmanship things, glitches, when you're allowed to go for it on 4th down, that kind of thing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Good game man, no matter how many times I double-covered Welker Brady kept finding him!

If you want to guess a type of play the opponent is going to run hold down LT and a list will pop up (pass, run, run left, run right, etc.) to adjust your defense in a simple manner.

No bad etiquette really on time management, best to have a read through our rules in the forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056569083
    Covers bad sportmanship things, glitches, when you're allowed to go for it on 4th down, that kind of thing

I only picked Pats for Brady,I started playing ultimate team and picked him as my starter player so he's about the only QB I'm familiar with in the game.I wasn't actually trying to pick out any particular reciever with him(had to even google welker there)

I defo broke the 4th down rule,I went for it in my half in the 2nd quarter I think,apologies for that.
    At least I only did it once

Have a read of this mate it covers all types of defensive plays. Berty from our franchise did it. It helped me so much when I was starting off this time last year:
    Originally Posted by Berty44 View Post
    First line under each formation is Description, 2nd line are the advantages, 3rd line the disadvantages

Goal Line
    Run prevent in short yardage situations, specifically third or fourth and short or on the goal line
    Packed defense to prevent the short run. There are a lot of tacklers near the line of scrimmage.
    Audible to another defense if the offense changes formation.So many defenders near the line can be disastrous if a running back breaks through.

4-3 Normal
    Four Defensive Linemen, three Linebackers, four defensive backs.
    A balanced run and pass defense. Good against inside runs and short to medium passing.
    Avoid using against four or more receiver sets (even three is risky). Blitzing Linebackers can leave slants and outside runs open.

4-3 Over, Under
    Moves an outer linebacker to the line for five Defensive Linemen, two Linebackers, and four defensive backs (Over and Under refers to different sides of the line).
    Increased pass rush possibilities. Protect against inside and outside runs.
    Vulnerable to the passing game and fewer Linebackers in the middle could mean fewer tacklers if the back breaks the line.

3-4 Normal
    Three Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, and four defensive backs.
    A balanced run and pass defense. Defends outside runs and flat passes.
    Softer pass rush, though more blitz variation with extra Linebackers. Vulnerable to multiple receiver sets.

3-4 Over, UnderThree Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, and four defensive backs. An outside linebacker tightens up the edge of the line (Over and Under refers to different sides of the line).
    Increased pass rush with linebacker at the line.
    Fewer Linebackers defending the short passes. Vulnerable to multiple receiver sets.

3-4 Solid
    Three Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, and four defensive backs. Both outside Linebackers crowd the line.
    Increased pass rush opportunities and disguised blitzing. Stuff the run with increased penetration.
    Vulnerable to quick passes if outside Linebackers blitz. Avoid against multiple receiver sets.

3-4 Even
    Three Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, and four defensive backs. Outside Linebackers crowd the line and middle Linebackers tighten up.
    Balanced run stoppage for inside and outside runs.
    Tighter formation could be vulnerable to the pass.

3-4 Stack
    Three Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, and four defensive backs. Resembles a 4-3 in alignment.
    A 4-3 look for your excellent Linebackers. Variation in pass rushing for fast outside Linebackers.
    Avoid using against heavy passing situations.

46 Normal
    Four Defensive Linemen, three Linebackers, four defensive backs but shifts one safety up to the linebacker position leaving one safety deep.
    Similar to 4-3 but safety provides extra run stopping support. Pressuring defense.
    Vulnerable to deep passes with just one safety back. Avoid using against heavy passing situations and multiple receiver sets.

46 Bear
    Six Defensive Linemen (some are Linebackers on the line), one linebacker, three defensive backs with one safety playing in a linebacker spot leaving one deep safety.
    Combines the 46 Normal and 4-3 Over defenses. Increased pressure along the line for stronger run defense and pressure. Weak pass defense.
    Avoid using against multiple receiver sets.

Nickel Normal
    Four Defensive Linemen, two Linebackers, five defensive backs.
    An additional defensive back helps protect against the pass. Be sure the "nickel back" is lined up against the slot receiver.
    Optimum against 3 WR sets. Losing a linebacker means losing a good tackler. Use packages to ensure best corners are against best receivers. Your nickel back isn’t as skilled as your starters, usually.

Nickel Strong
    Same as nickel but shifts the safety toward the strong side.
    Increased safety help on the strong side. Helps provide additional coverage on a stacked formation (where more receivers and/or tight ends are on one side).
    Similar to the standard nickel. Also the safety shifted over could leave the other side open, especially if there are backs on pass patterns.

Nickel 1-5-5, 1-5-5 Prowl
    One Defensive Lineman, five Linebackers, five defensive backs.
    Crowded line of scrimmage with basically one MLB (prowl with two). Five Linebackers help defend against a run and five defensive backs help defend the pass. Allows for some blitzing variation.
    Can be a weak run defense if your Linebackers focus on coverage.

Nickel 2-4-5
    Two Defensive Linemen, four Linebackers, five defensive backs.
    Added Linebackers help defend against an unexpected run. In the 3-4 playbook because of the team’s typical linebacker skill.
    Need to increase pass rush with linebacker pressure.

Nickel 3-3-5
    Three Defensive Linemen, three Linebackers and five defensive backs.
    An added linebacker to defend the run or short passing.
    Need to increase pass rush with linebacker pressure.

Dime Normal
    Four Defensive Linemen, one linebacker, six defensive backs.
    Six defensive backs to counter the passing game. Use against four or more wide receiver sets.
    Weak against an unexpected run.

Dime Flat
    Same as dime but closes Safeties in and backs off corners.
    Defenders are tighter and closer to the line to protect against run or short passing. Good for end zone defense.
    Weaker against deep passing.

Quarters Normal
    Three Defensive Linemen, one linebacker, seven defensive backs.
    Seven defensive backs as a pass prevent defense.
    Easy to run against.

Quarters 3 Deep
    Same as quarters but shifts a defensive back into a deep safety position for three deep Safeties.
    Three deep Safeties to protect against the deep ball. Use in long yardage situations.
    Easy to run against.

Quarters Combo
    Combination of Quarters normal and 3 deep.
    Protects against the deep ball with three deep Safeties.
    Easy to run against.

Dollar Normal
    Eight defensive backs.
    Eight players focused on stopping the pass. Use in certain passing situations (long yardage) or even in the red zone to crowd the end zone.
    You have a lot of bad tacklers on the field if your opponent runs the ball!

Also, running down the clock with a lead near the end of the game is fine, everyone does it. The best thing to remember if you are not sure is this:

If you don't see it in the NFL you shouldn't see it in one of the Boards franchise games.

Thanks for the advice lads, my game really picked up sticking to the plan and not stressing on 3rd down.

Might only be in Coach mode but won my first two games by over 20 points!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Have not got the hang of kicking at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Old system was far better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    Old system was far better

I much prefer the kicking now i have to say

How do i kick the thing!

How do i kick the thing!

Right stick down will start the power bar, then when the power bar is at the top pull the right stick up.

Word of warning though - the power bar goes much slower in online games than offline games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Really enjoying this much more than its immediate predecessors. Had a cracking game in my Falcons franchise last night that included the Broncos stopping me on first and goal at the 1 four times in a row. Matt Ryan is out for the first four weeks of the season, but the Heisman winning Troy Smith is finally getting his NFL career on track as a surprisingly effective replacement :)

Really enjoying this much more than its immediate predecessors. Had a cracking game in my Falcons franchise last night that included the Broncos stopping me on first and goal at the 1 four times in a row. Matt Ryan is out for the first four weeks of the season, but the Heisman winning Troy Smith is finally getting his NFL career on track as a surprisingly effective replacement :)

You joining up Jamarcus??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

You joining up Jamarcus??

PS3 :(

If anyone on PS3 fancies a few games I'm up for it!

PSN is marko93101

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

How do you change the scheme when in connected career offline? Anyone know?

madalig12 wrote: »
    How do you change the scheme when in connected career offline? Anyone know?

It's currently broken where everyone is down as West Coast no matter what. The scheme is determined by the playbook that you choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭davetherave

Just got called for an illegal forward pass, can't say I've ever seen that penalty in any madden.
    I do like the physics and mechanics though. It seems more lifelike/realistic. Had a guy really stretch out for a grab and even though he made it, he still lost his balance and fell over. Even little things like a half back losing his balance or stumbling if he gets knocked in the trenches.

Advertisement