Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden 13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

A lot of it sounds really awesome, love the added depth, removal of potential, scouting, dynamic player rating based on system, improved CPU, league twitter feed, lots more.

However some does raise some questions, bearing in mind the separate discussion on stat-padding; if player progression is based on stats/targets etc. then teams with more CPU games could have a decent advantage depending how this feature works.
    Obviously in Madden 12 its Potential that decides progression and stats are irrelevant, something to watch out for.

Definitely more excited for our Madden 13 franchise now!

Another good breakdown of Connected Careers on DLG, with little bit more detail:
    http://dlgnow.com/livewire/madden-nfl-13-connected-careers-breakdown/286

Most relevant bit for us is probably:
    " If you want to play an entirely online franchise with multiple owners all managing the GM aspects of their team along with playing all games and controlling all players, you can do that (Be a Coach) in Connected Careers."
    "The next omission is fantasy drafts to start the season." Disappointing
    "Practice with your team each week to gameplan and work with your roster to make sure you are ready for your next week's opponent." We've all been crying out for a chance to play as our team outside Franchise games

Was going to edit my other post for a fourth time, but...

Another good read on the new bits in Madden from ESPN
    http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tech/post/_/id/815/madden-improves-physics-career-mode

Physcics for collisions, etc. should be massively improved, which will also help get rid of the annoying injuries from soft tackles. Make you feel like the injury was earned!
    And you actually have to better running the ball now, running into blockers is a no-no.

Must say this stuff has really whetted my appetite for Madden 13.
    Wouldn't have been as interested if it was same old thing with updated rosters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No fantasy draft option though lads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

SantryRed wrote: »
    No fantasy draft option though lads.

Hadnt noticed that.. but i presume it'll be in there..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hadnt noticed that.. but i presume it'll be in there..

I don't think so

"The next omission is fantasy drafts to start the season. This is another feature that just could not be fit in with the level of quality Josh and the team are looking to maintain for CCM. I know there are many of you out there that love to fantasy draft and this will be a hard pill to swallow, but we have to be confident that the team is getting this ready for next year in a special an innovative way. They are setting a standard with CCM, and with that standard comes expectations that they are well aware of."

• Advertisement

"The next omission is fantasy drafts to start the season."

Nope, doesn't look like it'll be there lads.
    There could be ways around it with trades and what not, but from what I've seen it was too difficult to integrate the Fantasy Draft with all the new features

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well all these "great" features aren't doing a whole lot for me personally.

So far what I've taken from it is that there is a whole range of new "features" making the game more complicated and combing 3 different modes into one (offline franchise, online franchise and be a superstar or whatever its called), A whole load of marketing BS and the removal of one of my favourite features.

I'm not confident about this game at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

I don't know how I feel about this either. One of the big things this season was the collision engine, which didn't do a whole lot and now they are talking about collisions will be more organic and use physics. Sounds like a whole load of nothing.

Each year they say its the biggest leap forward in years and it turns out to be a minor improvement. If they really want to overhaul the game they should take a year or 2 out. But they won't make the money then so they won't.

Not too impressed about loosing the fantasy draft either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

No fantasy draft...
    That will make a big impact into how we pick teams next year..

People will be going for the packers, pats etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Raoul

No fantasy draft...
    That will make a big impact into how we pick teams next year..

People will be going for the packers, pats etc

If there is no fantasy draft then we will just have to pick teams based on this seasons rankings.

• Advertisement

So whoever wins the Superbowl, me.most.probably will be Stuck with a pretty poor team for the next year ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I think we should use rankings since year 1 when possible. Any one new to join from now will also have to pick last. What a season to potentially miss out on the play offs because of hols :pac:

Heli did you beat my Packers?

SantryRed wrote: »
    I think we should use rankings since year 1 when possible. Any one new to join from now will also have to pick last. What a season to potentially miss out on the play offs because of hols :pac:

Heli did you beat my Packers?

Will probably play tonight mate.. i'll go easy on them mate dont worry!!!

Raoul wrote: »
    If there is no fantasy draft then we will just have to pick teams based on this seasons rankings.

Yep.. iirc the Paullys post..

Something like this could work.

- The lower you finish in the league the higher your pick for teams (we should have a cut off so new players who take on a 0-12 team cant get the top pick)
    - I might get the Titans afterall :cool:
    - If theres a salary cap (it should be switched off) and then trading madness can begin!
    - Berty will still kick our asses if he gets the Buccs or some othr terrible team :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Think it's a bit early to be figuring things out on a mode we know next to nothing about. However I for one will be glad to see the end of fantasy teams.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Think it's a bit early to be figuring things out on a mode we know next to nothing about. However I for one will be glad to see the end of fantasy teams.

You gonna come back Stevo?

You gonna come back Stevo?

I said I'd come back for 13. I burnt out on 12 to the point where I couldn't enjoy it on any level (and bought Backbreaker to get some other form of football fix).

Just think that we should keep a open mind going into 13. We also have the opportunity for a lot more parallel social leagues (*eg everyone plays as a low rated QB and see how we can progress, rise of the legends etc etc).

We have a bit more flexibility when it comes to customization just gotta wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No fantasy teams is ridiculous. Not sure if I'd have any interest in this now without them as it's the most enjoyable thing about the game IMO. I'll probably still buy it though :rolleyes:

Paully D wrote: »
    No fantasy teams is ridiculous. Not sure if I'd have any interest in this now without them as it's the most enjoyable thing about the game IMO. I'll probably still buy it though :rolleyes:

Course you'll buy it everyone will buy it, the fact is the game is hardly going to be worse then 12 which imo has been the worst in the series in a good while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

It does all sound good but we will just have to wait and see. I'm not all that bothered if there is no fantasy draft would prefer to play with real teams.

• Advertisement

If this is the case, we'll obviously all start off with an NFL roster, but the management of the roster from there will be still be the same as M12 i.e. trades and draft.
    The other bits around that should be much better, with actual draft scouting rather than just being given the ratings, and the player progression should be much better.
    It will probably be something for the league to decide as a whole, but if we're using real rosters I'd be up for using salary cap and free agency too, would make everything that bit more realistic and interesting.
    Am optimistic about the game, especially for the BFL; it should give us a lot more options to shape the league the way we want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'm with you here, no fun in it anymore. I'd probably still pick the Raiders because they're the only fun team to play as. But no fantasy draft, that's an absolute joke. I don't know if I'll be playing in the boards franchise next year so. The only way I can imagine us getting around it is finding a way to get every team user-controlled, dropping everyone good into FA, and then having 25 rounds of selecting our starters. I hate all the other stuff too.

Yep.. iirc the Paullys post..

Something like this could work.

- The lower you finish in the league the higher your pick for teams (we should have a cut off so new players who take on a 0-12 team cant get the top pick)
    - I might get the Titans afterall :cool:
    - If theres a salary cap (it should be switched off) and then trading madness can begin!
    - Berty will still kick our asses if he gets the Buccs or some othr terrible team :)

Well I think teams that have played all the way through madden 12 should pick first based on reverse order of standings throughout the seasons.
    Newer players would pick after these players.

Why would the salary cap be switched off? I think we should use it if it is there, it would help limit rampant trading and players gathering up amazing rosters. Assuming it is implemented properly of course.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well I think teams that have played all the way through madden 12 should pick first based on reverse order of standings throughout the seasons.
    Newer players would pick after these players.

Why would the salary cap be switched off? I think we should use it if it is there, it would help limit rampant trading and players gathering up amazing rosters. Assuming it is implemented properly of course.

I was thinking of turning the salary cap off, so we could have a semi fantasy (draft) team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

So is the fantasy draft gone for both online and offline franchises? If so I don't see much point in even getting the game (I'll probably end up getting it second hand). It just seems like a load of BS that complicates the game for the sake of complicating it.

I think it's gone yeah.

It was a nice feature but not a deal breaker for me, despite what I said above. It will make for a nice change to play with real teams, and will be good trying to improve the weaker teams through the draft and trades year on year.

I think the slary cap could be good as it should make the better teams cut players before adding more talent, and the weaker teams should be able to sign better players and stay under cap.

I like being able to trade draft picks properly too,

All of this supposes that the cap is implemented properly.

Another plus would be less of a free for all in FA if you have to make an offer to the FA and he takes the best offer rather than one person snapping up 7 or 8 FA's as soon as free agency opens.

So some potentially nice features..

matthew8 wrote: »
    So is the fantasy draft gone for both online and offline franchises? If so I don't see much point in even getting the game (I'll probably end up getting it second hand). It just seems like a load of BS that complicates the game for the sake of complicating it.

How so ? They'v removed a lot of the crap features in 12 and made a "franchise" mode worth playing longer then 1 season now. Your being over dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Computer controlled teams will trade amongst themselves and also offer user teams trades.

FFS. I've yet to see a game where the CPU doesn't offer stupid trades between themselves that get accepted and the same for CPU to human. I really hope that this is different and hopefully it can be turned off anyway. I feel CPU trades at any level destroy an online.

FFS. I've yet to see a game where the CPU doesn't offer stupid trades between themselves that get accepted and the same for CPU to human. I really hope that this is different and hopefully it can be turned off anyway. I feel CPU trades at any level destroy an online.

They have said they'v changed the logic from past iterations so *shrug* could be better could be worse. Could be turned off else it can be monitored like it is currently (No dealing with CPU trades). When it comes to trading it is impossible to rate what is a "fair" trade.

• Advertisement

Aaron Rodgers for... Amendola.. ok ok you've twisted my arm CPU.. you're such a shark :pac::pac:

Advertisement