Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden 13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'm struggling to think of a team I could actually want to play as. Maybe the Panthers. Infact they're the only team I can think of who I'd like to be. So hopefully I can get them next year, if I can't surely no one will take the Raiders, who I think could be picking number one in the 2013 nfl draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Based on what they've said, I would think they have made the CPU logic much better for trades and roster building. Have seen it mentioned that the CPU team will evaluate free agency and draft based on need and type of team they have, instead of the current 'pick best available player, which can only be a good thing.

Like in the BFL the CPU Dolphins drafted a RG last year despite having Jahri Evans and now have two unreal RG's (98 & 89).

But as with all of this, I don't we should overreact and be too optimistic (my own feeling right now, looking forward to playing around with this new mode) or too negative. Will have to wait and see how it actually works in practice.
    As guys have said, they have promised things before and under-delivered. Once the game comes out and we've had a chance to play it we can assess better which of these features we want use or not.

EDIT: As for the order of picks, I think it would be tough to do it based on record because of the imbalanced CPU/Human schedules. If we could go back through the fixtures and get a Winning % vs. human opponents I think that would be a much better indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ibmax

matthew8 wrote: »
    if I can't surely no one will take the Raiders, who I think could be picking number one in the 2013 nfl draft.

they wont... the defense can't be any worse than last year and the offense will be better with a fit DMc and full offseason for Palmer. They are no worse than 6 wins which makes them 3 wins better than (at least) the Vikings, Jags and Colts

As for Madden 13, i'm guessing this "press release" is to drum up some feedback. I wouldn't rule out a fantasy draft yet. If i remember correctly, when madden 07 (Shaun Alexander) first appeared on the Xbox 360 it had no fantasy draft but the PS2 version did. There was massive backlash from that and it appeared in 08!!! If the same amount of moaning starts appearing in the various forums then i'm sure it can be retrospectively added to this year.

The thing i'm really worried about from the "release" is the "collision engine". EA used this in FIFA this year and Pro Evo has it's own equivalent. While its taken out the generic animations which at times were ridiculous its replaced them with stupid scenarios where players just spend all day bumping into each other or tripping over everything that moves. Even this has been known to happen:

article-2071700-0F1A4F6900000578-746_636x450.jpg

Presumably andy Carroll beat this poor chap up afterwards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'l buy it anyway and give it a chance. Just disappointed there's no fantasy draft. I'll probably end up raving about it when I get it :pac:

Release date in the USA is 28th of August which keeps in line with big releases on a Tuesday over there, IIRC that means we'll get it in Ireland on Friday 31st.

One thing I would like to see fixed in the new game is pass defense. The bull rush is broken because even if you get a perfect power move off at the snap, your guy takes like 5 seconds to walk over the guy he just flattened, and the pass is thrown. And then you have the coverage. Tight ends are so overpowered it's ridiculous. They're ignored by the coverage people. Then you have the jumping problem. You'll never see 2 players jump for the same ball, for some reason only one person ever jumps to make a play on it and it infuriates the heck out of me, it seems like whoever has a higher jumping rating automatically gets it, even if the other guy is in a far better position to make a play. It's why berty's so good at endzone passes. He just picks guys who can jump to play WR and the game engine favours those guys.

• Advertisement

Apparently you can't even change positions in the depth chart in this game. Nor can you edit any players, their numbers or equipment, or play other teams' games in offline franchise, or control 2 teams in offline franchise, or even make your own playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Nothing wrong with playing with real teams. Until I started playing Boards I had never played in Fantasy. Great enjoyment to be had taking a team,particularly a weak team and figuring out how to use them. I think this is the best version yet despite complaints above Sure TE are overpowerd but they can still be stopped. Sure a 6'5" receiver with high Spec Cath and jumping will haul in balls over most defenders ( Plax did it in a Superbowl ). Again it can be defended.

You have to work to understand the game both offensively and defensively. The more you play online the more you see, the more experienced you get. Then you can better figure out how to get things to work on both sides of the ball. Also I have spent hours in practice mode figuring out stuff, it pays off.

The best madden players I know are the guys who have been playing longest - fact.

From what I have read Franchise mode will be the best yet. So wait and see, buy the game and enjoy learning it.

What matters most is what happens on the field. And you have a fundamental flaw when jumping is the be all and end all to making certain plays and when Casey Hampton is collecting more sacks in your franchise than James Harrison and Lamarr Woodley. I don't have a clue why they are making connected careers when there are these huge issues with the game. And what this depth chart issue also does is make it extremely hard to switch defensive scheme and I bet in the game Aaron Hernandez and Jermichael Finley will be on the roster as tight ends and we can't switch them to WR, even though that's where they line up. I'm not concerned with being good at the game right now, I'm concerned that the game is out of touch with reality.

6'5" WR catching over a 5'10 DB is physics.

You can use packages and substitution button to put any TE in any WR position ??? You can put your TE anywhere you want on your WR depth chart.

A lot of the restrictions on changing positions in the depth chart is down to people abusing that feature in previous versions.

6'5" WR catching over a 5'10 DB is physics.
    Only one player ever going for a ball isn't.
    Berty44 wrote: »
    You can use packages and substitution button to put any TE in any WR position ??? You can put your TE anywhere you want on your WR depth chart.

A lot of the restrictions on changing positions in the depth chart is down to people abusing that feature in previous versions.

Apparently not in Madden 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Apparently you can't even change positions in the depth chart in this game. Nor can you edit any players, their numbers or equipment, or play other teams' games in offline franchise, or control 2 teams in offline franchise, or even make your own playbook.

You'v got the Depth Chart completely wrong. What you can't do is Change a players position in the Edit Player screen in Franchise mode like you could do in the past. You can still move people into different position on the depth chart.
    What matters most is what happens on the field. And you have a fundamental flaw when jumping is the be all and end all to making certain plays and when Casey Hampton is collecting more sacks in your franchise than James Harrison and Lamarr Woodley. I don't have a clue why they are making connected careers when there are these huge issues with the game. And what this depth chart issue also does is make it extremely hard to switch defensive scheme and I bet in the game Aaron Hernandez and Jermichael Finley will be on the roster as tight ends and we can't switch them to WR, even though that's where they line up. I'm not concerned with being good at the game right now, I'm concerned that the game is out of touch with reality.

They'v addressed the biggest issue of Super Linebackers which is my biggest problem with pass coverage.

Stev_o wrote: »
    You'v got the Depth Chart completely wrong. What you can't do is Change a players position in the Edit Player screen in Franchise mode like you could do in the past. You can still move people into different position on the depth chart.

What's your source for this? Operation sports forums are telling me otherwise.

Do either of you guys know if connected careers will be online or if they're keeping it online franchise? And will the online franchise/CC have all the options the offline franchise had, like hiring other coaches and changing emphasis on different skills for different players? And what about XP? Last year hot/cold streaks (dumb idea imo since it took just one game for a streak to start) weren't online so will it be the same story for a lot of the new stuff this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

What's your source for this? Operation sports forums are telling me otherwise.

No they aren't on OS some bemoaner took the already news that you can't edit players in CC as "You can't change their depth chart position", which makes no ****ing sense and you v got to be an absolute idiot to even believe for one second of this.

Stev_o wrote: »
    No they aren't on OS some bemoaner took the already news that you can't edit players in CC as "You can't change their depth chart position", which makes no ****ing sense and you v got to be an absolute idiot to even believe for one second of this.

No need to be a jerk about disagreeing with me. It's a concern of mine and I haven't seen any reassurances from EA. It seems like the stupidest thing in the world, but I would've felt the same way about removing fantasy draft, NCAA importing and customisation before they told us about Madden 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

I'm sure it'll all be grand lads.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've robbed this post from one of the guys over on Maddenpfl who has done a fair bit of research on what Madden 13 will be like:
    guys

spent quite a bit of time going thro you tube and various other places to gen up on the changes to online franchise( sorry connected careers)

couple of things ive heard

the cap is in woohoo
    real free agency is in
    contract holdouts are in

after speaking to berty before the draft im happy to write a cap review of each team
    just a few pointers for you guys such as who to resign and what you can or may want to do

each team has an offense defense and positional scheme
    so lets take Wr's
    some teams may want speed(raiders)
    or size (chargers)
    and as such value each player differently

so wr A is a small speed freak and if hes on the raiders his ovr may be 80
    but on the chargers he may be rated as only a 72

this also effects the draft and how you value each player

when you start the game and take over your team as a coach and can change your teamsO or D schemes and positional scheme and there by alter your players ratings the only example ive heard was changing the redskins passing scheme from west coast to vertical which changes RG3 rating from low 70s to an 80 no idea how that effects wrs/te or hb

for lots of reasons this seems to be very important
    get the players to fit the scheme which if you think about is what the pats and steelers do take james harrision 7th round from nowhere college tweener end becomes anolb and superbowl MVP or brady didnt play in college 7th round pick bledsoe gets broken and there you are

there will be 4 preseason games how the hell we are going to manage that ive no idea some may want to play the games some may not but it does eat into the 5 seasons in a year
    maybe sim the the preseason 1 week every 24 hours? thoughs that want to play can squeeze in a game

you have to cut your roster down to size , looks like 75 players before preseason game 1 down to 53
    by game 4

scouting
    wow where to start
    ok your team has a scheme and every player is sceme specific
    so drafting a 4-3 end when you run a 3-4 sceme is a bad move-lower ovr and also lower developement(more on that in a bit)
    you can unlock various info each week
    each coach gets 10,000 points and each attribute or trait costs various points
    if you scout an attribute say speed it may cost 800 points but only unlocks a letter grade say B
    from what ive seen a b is between 78-91 so if thats a wr and your after speed you may want to spend more points on speed however the second time its more expensive say 1000 points but now you know hes a 88

so in this example you have scouted 1 player and spent 1800 points of your 10,000
    (these numbers are what was seen in a pre final build and most likely will change)

you also have a developement stat rated 0-5

so lets say you draft a perfect fit and hes great lets pick RG3
    as he plays he gets xp points these can be spent as the coach(you) sees fit
    if he does nt play cause rex grossman starts(yea i know not going to happen but)
    or he gets injured then he does nt play he gains no xp and in fact could regress

not only that but playing in the right system improves your ability to grow by increasing the amount of xp you get

now here is where it gets interesting
    playing time
    because after a player is drafted he gets 4 season targets
    take RG3
    his season goals may be
    1. score a touchdown this season
    up to level 4. throw for 3000 yards and score 15 TDs
    (im guessing ive no idea what rg3s real targets are)

so if rg3 gets all his targets he may get 2000 xp points
    if his developement is 5 star he may get another 5000 xp points
    and if hes playing in the right scheme he gets all that x2
    again im guessing

compare that to joe bloggs you signs with the giants as mr irrelevent
    hes also a qb
    but his developement is only 1
    now hes behind manning andthe giants backup(sorry cant remember)
    if he does ny play he gets no xp and does nt improve
    but if all heel breaks lose and manning plus backup break their arms in preseason
    and joe bloggs starts
    maybe his targets are very low so he easily meets his goals hes playing in the right system
    so he could end up with 5000 points
    turning him into an excellent backup or trade bait

XP
    can be used to improve all attributes but with varying cost
    again take RG3 his speed may be an 88 to get it to an 89 may cost 15,000 points or a season and a half in xp where as his throw acc. may cost 1500 so 1point of speed or 10 points in acc or maybe 4 points to his injury rating and the rest to get rid of his fumbling problem that he developed
    because yes DPP (dynamic player progression)is in online mode
    and is season overlapping if tom brady stinks inthe superbowl hes going to have a ability hit in his next preseason game
    in other words your roster is very organic its not just a case of getting player a plug him in and watch him improve

Traits
    can be devolped or got rid off or improved by performance or xp

i feel like ive barely uncovered anything
    but i am so pumped about madden13
    everyone who ive heard talk about it has said its so immersive if player A is struggling to be resign then the league will find out via twitter
    if the guy with the no1 draft pick calls in the top rated QB for a prviate workout the gossip tweets let you know and plan accordingly if your picking at No2
    each week theres stories about featured college players so and so broke his leg soand so is a shoe in for the heismen it goes on and on

ofcourse it does boil down to gameplay and what happens on the field but at least the league will feel like a living breathing thing that we are all involved in

hope thats of interest to people and apologies for any typo's

cheers

I've been playing NCAA 13 the last couple of days and think it's quality.

I'd imagine that a lot of the game play features in this will be the same as in Madden so for those wondering here's a few differences I've noticed that I expect will also be in Madden 13:

The new play action is brilliant. You're now able to actually use it properly without getting sacked 99% of the time. Also, for example, there's been a few times when I've ran for decent gains on 1 or 2 downs, and when you go to play action in the playbook it will flash on a couple of plays ''setup!!'' to let you know you've set things up nicely to use a PA play as the defense is focused on stopping the run now. Doesn't work all the time which is good but a nice new feature.

I love the new system in which the WR has to actually be looking to catch a pass. It should have been implemented years ago but at least it's in now. Also, I've noticed a few times especially when playing in wet conditions, WR's slipping and blowing a play. Brings a bit more realism to the game. There's some cool new catch animations too such as diving catches (which were virtually impossible to do on Madden 12).

QB play is much improved. The 1/3/5/7 step drop backs are excellent and if you try to run back 20 yards etc like was possible in Madden 12, you're going to get hit for a huge loss. The pocket speed seems to be quite a bit slower now too and pump fakes work better. The use of the left stick is handy as you can effect the trajectory and aim of the ball by throwing to the WR's shoulder, high, low etc.

It's also much harder to tell zone from man this year too, so don't expect to be able to be able to audible a receiver across and be able to tell straight away from that.

One of the best things is there are no more super linebackers swatting balls away out of nowhere and no secondary that can pick balls by seeing them throw the eyes in the back of their heads. Similar to the receivers they have to be looking to break up plays or intercept.

On defense it's much harder to get to the QB. Last year you could basically just bull rush at the line of scrimmage every time and have a lot of success. This year as the pocket is slower it takes a bit more skill.

Motion blur is a bit meh. Doesn't really make too much difference IMO and you have to be really looking for it to notice it. A feature just gone in for the sake of it really.

The audio on NCAA is quite poor IMO, hopefully it will be a bit more improved come Madden 13.

I can't comment on the new physics system as it's not in NCAA.

Overall, things look quite promising for Madden. Of course their just features that should have been in about 3 years ago but it's looking like it will be a much more enjoyable game than this years edition if NCAA is anything to go by.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that the option play is very good too. I don't know if it was possible to run the option properly in Madden 12 (if it was I was never able to) but I'd imagine this will be in for Madden 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Dominic Fat Pedestal

dont know if this was posted or not but
    http://www.vgstrategy.com/madden-13-rookie-player-ratings/

it was before the draft but it gives a rough idea of how you teams favourite new players gona be

also heres the teams ratings

http://playerratingspro.com/

looks like im not getting my eagles was hoping they would be rated low and no1 else would want them :(

dont know if this was posted or not but
    http://www.vgstrategy.com/madden-13-rookie-player-ratings/

it was before the draft but it gives a rough idea of how you teams favourite new players gona be

also heres the teams ratings

http://playerratingspro.com/

looks like im not getting my eagles was hoping they would be rated low and no1 else would want them :(

Cheers for that mate.

Not one team in the 90's and the strongest teams are an 86. Good news as it means that things will be more even, even if someone chooses the strongest team in the game.

Based on those ratings, Luck, RGIII and Richardson and Blackmon are going to make a huge difference to those that get Colts, Redskins, Browns and Jaguars.

RG3's stats are insane.

Infact RG3 is so good I might play as the Redskins next year. Turn them into a 4-3 with Orakpo and Kerrigan at end, only worries that the DTs, whoever out of Cofield, Bowen and Carriker I start, would be weak, as would the OLBs. Poor o-line too but being Dan Snyder would negate that.

Does any1 else thing the RPGs element there bringing in sounds silly

Does any1 else thing the RPGs element there bringing in sounds silly
    They're not ideal, but I like the fact that player progression will actually be based on something you do rather than the current pre-determined progression in M12
    They've been using a similar system in Pro Evo's master league for years and it works pretty well I think

They're not ideal, but I like the fact that player progression will actually be based on something you do rather than the current pre-determined progression in M12
    They've been using a similar system in Pro Evo's master league for years and it works pretty well I think

i like the way it worked last year it was realistic now your gona have every wide reviever in the league having 99 speed within 2 years adn every qb will have 99 tpw and tacc etc

i like the way it worked last year it was realistic now your gona have every wide reviever in the league having 99 speed within 2 years adn every qb will have 99 tpw and tacc etc

Don't think last year was realistic at all, players progression/regression had zero to do with performance

And you won't have everyone at 99, the higher up a stat goes the more expensive it becomes, same with any type of RPG.
    So if you have a WR with speed 95 and catching 80 will be much cheaper to upgrade his catching stats. So it's all about what you value in a player

• Advertisement

Don't think last year was realistic at all, players progression/regression had zero to do with performance

And you won't have everyone at 99, the higher up a stat goes the more expensive it becomes, same with any type of RPG.
    So if you have a WR with speed 95 and catching 80 will be much cheaper to upgrade his catching stats. So it's all about what you value in a player

As coach my understanding is that you will not be able to upgrade specific players. In our franchise we will all be using Connected Career as coaches not players. If you were using CC as a player then you could upgrade.

As far as I know as a coach you can only use XP to get improved player progressions, not specfics.

Advertisement