Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madden 13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

empacher wrote: »
    I played a full game as the giants using just run plays. 49ers came out in nearly always a cover 2. avg 8.9 yards per play. thought the running was far too easy.

havent had a full passing game. wanted to try out the option plays, and PA

Running is way too easy. The edges are always wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

If running is way too easy when the real thing comes out, are we able to use difficulty sliders to make the run harder in the online franchise? Because tbh it was already too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I think so yeah. I'm not finding the run too easy tbh. I think it will be fine playing human players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

QB running:
    As far as running with the quarterback….we are not going to say you can’t run with the QB. No one is going to complain when your guys are covered or when you're about to be sacked. It is acceptable to use designed QB run plays. But, you shouldn’t be heading for the sidelines right away, or dropping back 20 yards after the snap on most passing plays.

That's the rule. I personally don't see a change needed. As long as its not most passing plays. I mean people should expect teams like the panthers, redskins, colts, Jets to have designed QB plays. But as stated not crazy drop backs or every single down.

Thought?

That's the rule. I personally don't see a change needed. As long as its not most passing plays. I mean people should expect teams like the panthers, redskins, colts, Jets to have designed QB plays. But as stated not crazy drop backs or every single down.

Thought?

That is perfect tbh

• Advertisement

I think the new engine is class. Playing against the Hawks now, Lynch was running through a gap following a perfect block. He looked like he was through but his foot clipped on of my players, on the ground, who had been flattened by a lineman. He stumbled and Fletcher smashed him while he was off balance. Love the realism and randomness

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

How do you play as other teams?

How do you play as other teams?
    Select the giants 49ers thing, then press down. The only other matchup you can do is Washington Seattle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Passing seems the exact same to me? Has there been any changes to that? Tackling has been fixed thank christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Dominic Fat Pedestal

SantryRed wrote: »
    Passing seems the exact same to me? Has there been any changes to that? Tackling has been fixed thank christ.

players have to be looking when you throw the ball and the biggest change iv found is you can choose where to pass the ball far better you can basically lead the reciever in any direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

My thoughts (bare in mind I've played NCAA 13 so most of these features aren't that new to me)

Positives:

- Presentation is much better than Madden 12. Although after a day or two everyone skips the pre-game introductions, loading screens at the beginning etc it does feel more like an NFL game. Little things such as the chain gang on the sidelines make it feel more realistic. The crowd will also get louder and louder as you're about getting closer to the end zone when returning punts, kicks etc.

- Graphically the players and coaches look as real to life as you're going to get until the next gen consoles are out.

- Commentary seems to be an improvement although as is the case with every single sports game they will start to repeat themselves pretty quickly and become annoying, but for now it's the best Madden has produced.

- Cool thing I noticed is that on fumbles the ball gets kicked around as players are diving to get it. That never used to happen and is a nice feature.

- Play action is very good, the same as NCAA 13 it develops much quicker and you can pull out of it if you see pressure coming through the line and now it's an option you can actually use unlike Madden 12 where it was 90% of the time a guaranteed sack against human players.

- You can't move players around pre-snap on defense, they just reset when you click off them, which is a great idea as it cuts down on the blitz exploits.

- You can now hard count (same as NCAA 13) in the hope of drawing offside from the opposition. The computer never seems to bite, but it will work against humans.

- I have encountered two pass interference calls in the 7 or 8 games I have played. Of course it's still far less than you would see in real life but hopefully this means they will be used far more than in Madden 12 in which I literally never seen one. It adds a bit more realism to the game.

- More options on playbooks such as Nascar with the New York Giants.

- Having to use the right stick to kick is an improvement. It makes it a bit of a challenge when trying to aim long punts out of bounds and it makes kicks from shorter distances harder. I haven't tried it out yet but if they have also introduced the ice the kicker function from NCAA 13 that would be good (around 40 seconds into this YouTube clip for an example).

- The new QB dropbacks are a welcome addition which will end the (albeit small) disagreements in our games about how far people are dropping the QB back.

- Having to wait until a receiver is looking to catch a pass is great. It stops the quick passes on Madden 12 to TE's especially that worked so often they were a bit glitchy in my opinion and ultimately makes throwing more realistic.

Negatives:

- The new physics system is a bit ''meh'' to me. Sometimes it looks good for tackle pile ups etc but other times then it looks ridiculous when players are splashing around like a fish on the ground with no one near them. I don't think we'll see the benefits of this for another year at least and will be stuck with some dodgy animations like the picture of Carroll kissing Fabianski on FIFA 12 which uses basically the same physics engine.

- The run game seems a bit strange, from the RB looking like he's riding a horse when sprinting, to the sort of cartoonish animations. Running through the middle seems like a bit of a destruction derby clusterfuck with rag dolls flying around the place. Very ''arcadey'' (for want of a better word).

- I absolutely hate the design of the names underneath the players, but that's a very small, personal fault really. I'll get used to it.

- I found it very easy to gain decent yards with RGIII using the read option. I think it's important to take into account we're playing against the computer AI rather than a human so I can't see it being as much of an issue in human games, same as with the outside running (HB Toss etc).

- Computer AI playcalling is awful. If this isn't fixed and I only played offline it would be enough to put me off buying the game completely.

- Lighting is a bit dark especially in the Redskins stadium, should be easily fixed before the full game drops.

- The game speed is so fast it feels like the players are on performance enhancing steroids at times.

- Maybe it's just me but is the camera zoomed out a little bit too far?

Overall:

A definite improvement on Madden 12.

Most of my gripes are with the new physics system which after playing with a very similar one in FIFA I knew there would be problems with or with the AI which, all things going well, we won't have to deal too much with as we have another successful year of online franchise/connected careers with lots of human games.

In fairness with regards to the physics system some things are excellent, as Pudsy mentioned with his comment on Lynch being taken down by a stray foot, but for the most part I don't think it feels natural. Of course the vast majority have asked for a new game engine so I guess we have to give them the benefit of the doubt of a year to run with it and then sort out some of the issues for Madden 14.

If they fix the weird RB running motion and smaller things such as the lighting before the game drops then I think they'd be doing pretty well.

Connected careers is where I think this game will really come into it's own though. Only 10 days now until the EA Sports Season Ticket feature drops so we'll be able to see videos on YouTube and comments on forums etc about how the final product is looking long about a week before most of us get the game.

It's difficult to judge fully from a demo but so far an 8/10 for me and things are looking good. At the end of the day we're all going to buy it anyway :pac:

How do you hard count?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Justin10

Seems people here think the game is too fast, but over on operation sports they say its too slow.

The hard count was in Madden 12?? You would also catch the defence too.

Just when I was thinking of buying NCAA, I see no reason too now. Seems much bigger step.
    EA know the engine is a work of progress and that is expected.

Commentary as posted is going to get old like any game, but at least it will take longer. I used to like flashback I think it was called, would show you open receiver you missed, only lasted one series.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    How do you hard count?

Press RB when at the line of scrimmage. I never even knew it was on Madden 12 but it seems it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Played 2 games there and love it, the dropbacks/receiver looking timing is very good. Loved my time with RGIII.

How do you cancel the play action? I ran a few PA plays and didn't do anything different, what am I missing?

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Played 2 games there and love it, the dropbacks/receiver looking timing is very good. Loved my time with RGIII.

How do you cancel the play action? I ran a few PA plays and didn't do anything different, what am I missing?

To abort the play action, just press RT after you snap the ball. The below video is a tips video for NCAA 13 but it's from EA Sports and works the exact same in Madden 13:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Managed to squeeze in one game last night before I go off on holidays, tried playing as Giants as wanted to use the best passing QB in the demo to test out the passing game.

Maybe it was the tough 49ers D, but found the passing much more challenging than Madden 12. More realistic (i.e. tougher) I think.

Great post by Paully breaking it down so won't go into his level of detail, just few quick hits:
    -New engine can look great and look bad in different circumstances. One on one tackles and gang tackles more realistic. Running game can be bit odd with it
    -Waiting until receiver is open is great addition, much more realistic
    -Glad to see more skill brought back to kicking and punting

Wish I has bit more time with it to play with all 4 teams and give RG3 and Marshawn Lynch a go, will have to wait until my return.
    Bring on the BFL!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Seems people here think the game is too fast, but over on operation sports they say its too slow.

The hard count was in Madden 12?? You would also catch the defence too.

Just when I was thinking of buying NCAA, I see no reason too now. Seems much bigger step.
    EA know the engine is a work of progress and that is expected.

Commentary as posted is going to get old like any game, but at least it will take longer. I used to like flashback I think it was called, would show you open receiver you missed, only lasted one series.

NCAA has better gameplay tbh while Madden will probably beat Dynasty with CC. For me Madden just seems half full of features that are brilliant in NCAA. Why I can't run a proper hurry up offence is beyond me. Why I have a hard count when people never jump offsides (AI or HUM).

Inifinity Engine only goes so far, it's still a game ruled by stats, iv seen RG3 hammer Red Bryant on a interception and Bryant went flying back, this just wouldn't happen in the real world. Once your trucking > tackle rating, your always going to get the go forward regardless of size, speed or momentum .

Not only that but I feel like Madden seems to remove player control with each addition, I know it's cool when you see your player stumble but give me some control over it! Let me have some input that may see him regain balance and go forward. Madden is fast becoming an auto pilot game in gameplay and don't even get me started on defence.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

QB running:
    As far as running with the quarterback….we are not going to say you can’t run with the QB. No one is going to complain when your guys are covered or when you're about to be sacked. It is acceptable to use designed QB run plays. But, you shouldn’t be heading for the sidelines right away, or dropping back 20 yards after the snap on most passing plays.

Thought?
    I think we need to specify that long qb drop backs are not allowed on any play..10 yards is fine but anything longer than that should not be allowed I don't think.

and i think rinning side to side should be moderated to an extent depending on how the zone works in this game but running forward should probably be ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think we need to specify that long qb drop backs are not allowed on any play..10 yards is fine but anything longer than that should not be allowed I don't think.

An update to the playing rules will occur after a week or so of playing the actually Madden 13 game so everyone here can have an input on what exploits there are in this one as there definitely will be some. Even 10 yard dropbacks shouldn't be allowed. You should allow the QB to finish his dropback motion and then anything goes to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

It seems there's an error with the marketplace. I might consider playing with Seattle if Russell Wilson is starting and has half-decent throwing numbers as the rest of their team is playable. Glad I get to see them in the demo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'm not sure the Hawks will fall to you Matthew.. i'm really torn between them and the Titans at the moment

adrian522 wrote: »

I'm not sure if people have noticed, but the QB dropback is done automatically in Madden 13. If you press A to snap the ball with holding anything else, the QB will either drop back 1/3/5/7 yards depending on the type of play called, and if you try to move him back any further than that whilst he's in the dropback motion he will start stumbling. Also, if you try to throw a pass when running back without feet planted it will go nowhere near where you want it to so that will cut down on it a lot.

So maybe the ruling could be something along the lines of what Santry said. Press A to snap the ball, let the QB automatically do his dropback, and then see how the play develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ibmax

Just played as the 'Skins there vs the Seahawks. I haven't played a demo in years and know they are not completed products before but for the sake of my sanity over the next 9 months, I hope this particular demo is not even close to an accurate representation of the final game. A few immediate thoughts...

- The lighting is beyond ridiculous! I lineup, i'm wearing the wine coloured 'skins top, the Seahawks are in white. I snap the ball and everyone's top and bottoms turn to black... including the ref!!! How the heck are you supposed to spot the safety from the ref!!! Punt returns... is that my blocker??? no its a 250 LB running full speed at me!!! Fumble... a guy dives on it... is he a skin??? who knows... he's wearing black!!!

- The commentary is actually pretty good. I didn't find it got repetitive at all.... much... i feel me and Phil Simms could get on

- The "infinity" engine, as predicted, is shambolic and massively inconsistant. Screens are impossible cause the RB trips over the lineman. Inside running plays look like playground "pile-ons". Press coverage... that was borderline x-rated! All other action resembles a pinball game!!!

- Everything happens at a million mph except QB dropbacks, which are stupidly slow and unrealistic.... its a slow dropback while your receivers fly around the field, randomly bouncing off the DBs or making love while in press coverage... pass interference still appears to be missing from Madden

- the O-line's are rendered irrelevant by the "infinity" engine (i was sacked 7 times, Flynn 8!!!). You either run straight by the lineman when defending or... no you just run straight by them. Good to see the nano blitzing issue has been resolved by removing blocking altogether

- when players are running in space they look like Bambi on ice... until they trip over the nearest, black object. It could be a ref, it could be a defender, it could be Pete Carroll who EA have forgotten to give a neck to

- there was a leaping LB sighting :mad:

- all in all... a pile of crap so i will stand by my original statement, "I hope this particular demo is not even close to an accurate representation of the final game"!

and if you're wondering, I won the game 12-5 (safety,TD, FG vs safety, FG) :D

ibmax wrote: »
    Just played as the 'Skins there vs the Seahawks. I haven't played a demo in years and know they are not completed products before but for the sake of my sanity over the next 9 months, I hope this particular demo is not even close to an accurate representation of the final game. A few immediate thoughts...

- The lighting is beyond ridiculous! I lineup, i'm wearing the wine coloured 'skins top, the Seahawks are in white. I snap the ball and everyone's top and bottoms turn to black... including the ref!!! How the heck are you supposed to spot the safety from the ref!!! Punt returns... is that my blocker??? no its a 250 LB running full speed at me!!! Fumble... a guy dives on it... is he a skin??? who knows... he's wearing black!!!

- The commentary is actually pretty good. I didn't find it got repetitive at all.... much... i feel me and Phil Simms could get on

- The "infinity" engine, as predicted, is shambolic and massively inconsistant. Screens are impossible cause the RB trips over the lineman. Inside running plays look like playground "pile-ons". Press coverage... that was borderline x-rated! All other action resembles a pinball game!!!

- Everything happens at a million mph except QB dropbacks, which are stupidly slow and unrealistic.... its a slow dropback while your receivers fly around the field, randomly bouncing off the DBs or making love while in press coverage... pass interference still appears to be missing from Madden

- when players are running in space they look like Bambi on ice... until they trip over the nearest, black object. It could be a ref, it could be a defender, it could be Pete Carroll who EA have forgotten to give a neck to

(i agree again i worry the new physics engine could end up destroying the game for me)

- there was a leaping LB sighting :mad:

(:Ddosent bother me to much i dont mind lbs doing it once its less frequent its not happened me yet)
    :D

just for the record im not attacking your post ian just like having something to type wile watching a show on the computer so i said id give my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

I also was not impressed with the demo. I think this game could be a step backwards from 12. My first issue is running, not rushing but actual running. Have any of you played GTA 4? That is what the running reminds me of, when you change direction you go kinda sideways.

I also didnt like the overall look of the game, as in the actual match. It looks less realistic than the current game. Maybe it's the Nike kits?

Ian, I will stand corrected on this, but demos are close enough to the finished article, it's betas that can change a lot. At this stage the game is done unless there is gonna be a day one patch hfor us all to download.

just for the record im not attacking your post ian just like having something to type wile watching a show on the computer so i said id give my 2 cents

No... Please work away :) (Though there only seemed to be 2 comments??) Looking to hear as many others feed back as possible. While my post was written with tongue firmly in cheek, I was very disappointed by an awful lot of it.

Other than the lighting which presumably will be fixed for the release, I'm most concerned by the collision engine. It works OK for something like FIFA as it only comes into play when you are making a collision - tackling, jostling for the ball.

In American Football where every play involves hundreds of collisions upon collisions it just looks overworked and muddled. While individual tackles might look more natural, I felt the flow of the game was constantly being interrupted by the bumps - receivers couldn't run a proper route and I spent as much time worrying about tripping over my own men as I did avoiding tackles!!!

Am I the only one who thinks it's a big improvement?

• Advertisement

etloveslsd wrote: »

Ian, I will stand corrected on this, but demos are close enough to the finished article

Noooooooo!!!!! You'll need a screen the size of Argentina to be able to differentiate between the ref and the free safety!!!!

Advertisement