Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Flynn Mahon report

Options
  • 22-03-2012 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Great shame has been brought on our County with todays findings in the Mahon report.

1036 Former Minister and EU Commissioner Padraig Flynn "wrongly and corruptly" sought a substantial donation from Mr Tom Gilmartin for the Fianna Fail party and having being paid IR£50,000 by Mr Gilmartin for that purpose proceeded to use that money for his personal benefit.
    The Tribunal was satisfied that the £50,000 funded at least a significant portion of the purchase of a farm in Co Mayo in the name of Padraig Flynns wife and was not used except minimally for political expenditure associated with Mr Flynn.

Hopefully the criminal assets bureau will brought into to claim back these assets for the state.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0322/mahon.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Claim the assets? The Fecker should be prosecuted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

ya just read that

did he pay any tax on it?
    wonder will anything happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I had a good giggle when I saw your username - CJhaughey :D

Pot calling the kettle black :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

CJhaughey wrote: »

I wouldn't hold your breath unfortunately.

I still have to laugh about how many people love the man (and daughter) around Castlebar. Reminds me of this from the Savage Eye

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

In P. Flynn's case, he literally did fix the roads :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Mach 2

50k is just the tip of the iceberg. Both him & his daughter..............a right pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

He was made pay the tax plus fines and interest on the 50k mentioned above but no criminal proceedings were ever brought against him and probably never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

He was made pay the tax plus fines and interest on the 50k mentioned above but no criminal proceedings were ever brought against him and probably never will.

what's the statue of limitation for criminal matters like this in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Just saw his famous late late appearance back in the day on six-one. He is one smug gobsh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Here it is agin for good measure. What a schmuck.

• Advertisement

johnayo wrote: »
    He is one smug gobsh1te.

I think you are being very polite.

The really worrying aspect is, if he or his daughter ran in an election tomorrow there's every chance both would be elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

johnayo wrote: »
    Just saw his famous late late appearance back in the day on six-one. He is one smug gobsh1te.

Yeah and Flynn is too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

I must say how thoroughly ashamed I am of the people of Castlebar on RTE new at six this evening.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

MOD NOTE Folks be careful of what you are saying please. Keep it to the report and don't make allegations outside of what is in the public eye please.

It only takes one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

bensweeney wrote: »
    I must say how thoroughly ashamed I am of the people of Castlebar on RTE new at six this evening.
    Here here! this "charactor" was representing our country on a massive salary as an EU commishioner! This is the type we want on the international stage as the public face of Ireland. If the Mahon tribunal does anything i hope it eliminates people like these from even entering politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭loverslane

yop wrote: »
    MOD NOTE Folks be careful of what you are saying please. Keep it to the report and don't make allegations outside of what is in the public eye please.

It only takes one ;)

Doubt he can deny how pious he is. His entrances into mass and funerals are synonomous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

loverslane wrote: »
    Doubt he can deny how pious he is. His entrances into mass and funerals are synonomous

synonomous with what?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,262 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I reckon Pee Flynn is rotten to the core. About time that fella was made to answer for his corrupt ways. He's the only one from ''that government'' that got away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

loverslane wrote: »
    yop wrote: »

It only takes one ;)

Do you mean infamous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

He did a lot of good work for Castlebar and Mayo, that can be acknowledged along with all the dodgy dealings as well.

He doesn't care anyways, as said in today's indo the skin is thick in that family!

• Advertisement

He did a lot of good work for Castlebar and Mayo, that can be acknowledged

Why, are TD's, Ministers & EU Commissioners ment to do different :confused: The only reason the likes of Flynn (&daughter) ever did good was first & foremost to benefit themselfs. To think any different would be delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

How about six years for Fraud, the guy who got six years for importing Garlic was a minnow in comparison and still got six years

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wouldn't hold your breath unfortunately.

I still have to laugh about how many people love the man (and daughter) around Castlebar. Reminds me of this from the Savage Eye

That clip sums up everything that is wrong with a lot of voters in Ireland.

mayotom wrote: »
    How about six years for Fraud, the guy who got six years for importing Garlic was a minnow in comparison and still got six years

You've got it the wrong way around, Flynn was the minnow compared to the garlic fraud guy, he done the taxpayer out of €1.4 million

Mach 2 wrote: »
    Why, are TD's, Ministers & EU Commissioners ment to do different :confused: The only reason the likes of Flynn (&daughter) ever did good was first & foremost to benefit themselfs. To think any different would be delusional.

Some deliver more than others. Do you begrudge people in a public role getting paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Just a smug corrupt conman with his houses and farm also got a eu grant some brass necks and his daughter no different.

Some deliver more than others. Do you begrudge people in a public role getting paid?

What are you talking about. Where, when I did I mention or imply I objected to public rep's getting paid. Actually, I suspect you've nothing better to retort with thus you comment.

As for some delivering more that others, I presume you ment delivering to themselfs!!!

But please continue on blowing the trumpet for Flynn, if nothing we'll get a laugh.

patwicklow wrote: »
    Just a smug corrupt conman with his houses and farm also got a eu grant some brass necks and his daughter no different.

You can't tell that to people that who received Xmas cards from him. :)

Mach 2 wrote: »
    What are you talking about. Where, when I did I mention or imply I objected to public rep's getting paid. Actually, I suspect you've nothing better to retort with thus you comment.

As for some delivering more that others, I presume you ment delivering to themselfs!!!

But please continue on blowing the trumpet for Flynn, if nothing we'll get a laugh.

I'm not blowing the trumpet for anyone, I'm just arguing against the usual rabble rousing you see here when a politician is found to be corrupt. You mention that Flynn was only out to benefit himself, could the same not be said for every single person working in the public life who gets paid for their services? After all I doubt many of them would do it for free. I couldn't give a toss if Flynn or any of the other politicians are out to benefit themselves as long as they deliver what they were elected to do. That's the system we have at the moment, it's badly in need of reform but sadly the people of Mayo had to turn to someone like Flynn to get things done. It's understandable why it had to be so.

Your presumption is wrong by the way.

• Advertisement

I couldn't give a toss if Flynn or any of the other politicians are out to benefit themselves as long as they deliver what they were elected to do.

Enough said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement