Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A prepay SIM that doesn't expire or require regular topups

Options
  • 22-03-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    I need a SIM card for a water monitoring device which will send a text occasionally if water levels in our well tank go low.
    it mightn't be used much but it would be great if one of the telcos did a sim that didn't expire and that you don't have to put credit in unless of course it is going low.

anyone know of one off hand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Nope. I think 6 months is the best you can get. You could set an automated reminder for yourself, then throw a tenner onto it every 5.9 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have an O2 PAYG phone in the car as a standby, I haven't topped it up in over a year and they kindly gave me a free €10 topup at the end of last year cause I have it registered on the O2 website and I often enter draws and see what specials ('treats' they call them) they have on offer. I think you have to use it at least once every 6 months so I occasionally call my main mobile for a few seconds just to keep the account active but I definitely haven't added money to the a/c for over a year.

My main mobile is O2 as well so I investigated Vodafone PAYG as a standby in case my local O2 mast was down but I wouldn't be able to get away with the same arrangement with them, I think credit does expire so they would probably shut down the a/c after a while.

Didn't look at Meteor (eMobile) or 3.

Edit: tried to check the current Ts & Cs for SIMM-only plans (you provide the phone) but as usual the O2 website is acting up, try it later...

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/sim-only/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

o2 sims need a chargeable call or text every 6 months to keep the account active. You don't need to topup every 6 months. If you topup by €5, it could last a few years once your sending a text twice a year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I have a 3 pay as you go phone which has been sitting on a shelf unused since I was last in Ireland at Christmas 14 months ago, I took it out and charged it up just yesterday as I am heading over to Ireland for a visit next week and much to my surprise the line is still active, voice mail still working etc. I don't think there is any credit on the phone.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    I have a 3 pay as you go phone which has been sitting on a shelf unused since I was last in Ireland at Christmas 14 months ago, I took it out and charged it up just yesterday as I am heading over to Ireland for a visit next week and much to my surprise the line is still active, voice mail still working etc. I don't think there is any credit on the phone.

Try ringing someone first, or calling the number. Iirc 3 sims can appear active, but have been disconnected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Davy wrote: »
    Try ringing someone first, or calling the number. Iirc 3 sims can appear active, but have been disconnected

Yeah I called the number and the phone rang OK, I was very surprised, there was even a text message which my SIL had sent to my old number two weeks ago by mistake. And another text to say I have 3 new voice mails but I didn't bother checking them yet. :D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

If someone could point out the T&C where the expiry time for idle accounts is stipulated? I have searched and am yet to find this information. I have an O2 PAYG sim and not used in > 1year and still active.

This is very good as I am sure the carriers might be aware - many Irish now live abroad and vist home once a year or 2 years so keeping accounts active at least 2 years is very convenient!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭ozmo

srsly78 wrote: »
    Nope. I think 6 months is the best you can get. You could set an automated reminder for yourself, then throw a tenner onto it every 5.9 months?

I have an O2 Golden Sim - they were given away last year - dont know if offer is still on -

https://sim1.o2online-media.ie/GoldenSim.aspx

but apparently they are good for life - and dont need topping up, but still allow you to get free o2->o2 calls.

Supposed to be free texts also, so that looks ideal for your purpose - (but i think i actually get charged for them - must ask o2 to look at that for me).

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Like an above poster said, can't you just stick a timer to send a charged text every few months to keep it active?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You can't get the Golden sims anymore. I have one. You have to put credit in it once every 6 months. I thought the rule was to keep a sim active you have to use it, (I assume make or receive a txt, at least once every 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭ozmo

BostonB wrote: »
    You can't get the Golden sims anymore. I have one. You have to put credit in it once every 6 months. I thought the rule was to keep a sim active you have to use it, (I assume make or receive a txt, at least once every 6 months.

yeah offer looks over - but keep an eye out for it - its come around twice so far - or contact them and see if they will give you one if you want one.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Few months ago Vodafone sent me an SMS, mentioned I hadn't topped up in over 6 months (still have free credit on the SIM, use Tesco most of the time), and that I need to topup within 7 days to continue using the number. Put a fiver on it :rolleyes: and now look forward to the next SMS :D

daelight wrote: »
    If someone could point out the T&C where the expiry time for idle accounts is stipulated? I have searched and am yet to find this information. I have an O2 PAYG sim and not used in > 1year and still active.

This is very good as I am sure the carriers might be aware - many Irish now live abroad and vist home once a year or 2 years so keeping accounts active at least 2 years is very convenient!
    If you are a Prepay Customer
    7.3 If you are a Prepay Customer then in addition to the circumstances set out in Section 7.1 above, we may suspend (i.e. bar), restrict or end the provision of the O2 Services (in total or in part) if:
     You choose not to purchase top up credit or make a chargeable use in respect of your
    Account for a period of 6 months;
    http://www.o2online.ie/o2/uploads/pdfs/terms/consumer/General-Terms-O2-Services_august2011.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I have an o2 sim that I haven't topped up in over a year and it still works. But I have sent some texts from it which given some of the other answers here would explain that.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

i checked my first ever number (around 8 years old, was when the nokia 3210 was around) and its since been reassigned, i hafnt been using it in 7 years ofc.. so watch out for that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

registered sims dont get deactivated provided you make a charageable call or text once every 3 to 6 months... so setup your system to text u once a month and your good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

my alarm is similar. it has motion detection and sends me a multimedia message photo of an intruder if and when it happens. lets hope i get broken into at 5.9mth intervals...otherwise ill never remember to top up the credit on the sim!!!

Advertisement