Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID when checking into hostel???

Options
  • 22-03-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi,

Is there any hostels in Dublin city that doesn't require a passport as ID when checking in?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

is there a specific reason you don't want to give id

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Frynge wrote: »

He's a culchie..they dont believe in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

Frynge wrote: »

Not me - a friend is in Dublin and has very little money and no ID with him - and he has to stay until tomorrow.

or possibly even an islander.........

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Some places will ask to keep hold of your passport to ensure that you don't run off without paying, but I don't like to do this A) in case I need it myself B) if the place gets robbed, or if whoever looks after these things is lax, there goes my passport.

I usually find that offering a photocopy of your passport, as well as paying in advance, will keep them happy.

ETA: just reread the OP and I may have gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick. Call them in advance and explain that you don't have a passport. Most places will be helpful, especially if you offer to pay up front.

• Advertisement

Now lads, let's not make this a "You and Us" situation ;)

does he have any kind of bank card or headed note paper with his name on it.
    most place will be very weary with letting someone stay without a cc(in hotels) and as you've learned without id in hostels

just a thought but could a friend pay by credit card over the phone so as they have some fallback

kylith wrote: »
    Some places will ask to keep hold of your passport to ensure that you don't run off without paying, but I don't like to do this A) in case I need it myself B) if the place gets robbed, or if whoever looks after these things is lax, there goes my passport.

I usually find that offering a photocopy of your passport, as well as paying in advance, will keep them happy.

Thanks, but he doesn't have anything except an ATM card.

Is there any hostels that would accept this?

kylith wrote: »

ETA: just reread the OP and I may have gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick. Call them in advance and explain that you don't have a passport. Most places will be helpful, especially if you offer to pay up front.

That what he will be doing ( paying up front ) but he has already been turned away from one and told no hostel will take him without ID.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

InisMor wrote: »
    Thanks, but he doesn't have anything except an ATM card.

Is there any hostels that would accept this?

Use the ATM card to take out the money and pay up front..after that i'm sure they wont give a stuff about his ID.

If they kick up he can just take his cash elsewhere,somebody will let him stay in thier hostel if he has money.

Advertisement