Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Sales Analysis

• 22-03-2012 1:21pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought it would be interesting to post a weekly update on hardware sales.

This week the 3DS leads the way globally in sales, followed closely by the PS3. The 360 and PSVita are on each others tails with the Wii trailing behind. PSP is now outselling the original DS for the first time in over a year believe it or not, primarily down to a strong Japanese base. Notice that all hardware sales are down on the previous weeks, with the PSVita already down 33% on last weeks sales following its launch in some major territories. I'd say its a disappointment on Sony's side to see sales drop so fast.

3DS 179,947 (-9%) 16,309,738
    PS3 172,371 (-21%) 62,464,312
    X360 120,314 (-11%) 65,304,481
    PSV 113,252 (-33%) 1,495,821
    Wii 79,399 (-12%) 95,261,183
    PSP 41,658 (-4%) 73,498,007
    DS 38,912 (-17%) 151,670,904

On the software sales, it looks quite rosy for 360 publishers. All figures exclude digital sales, which would have an impact on most platforms, and especially the PC platform. With the launch of some major games, it certainly helped the 360 with 1.6m of the 360 sales going solely towards ME3.

X360 3,113,029 (+74%) 615,896,038
    PS3 2,402,787 (-7%) 527,497,811
    Wii 1,172,059 (-13%) 776,107,457
    PC 669,551 (+52%) N/A
    3DS 534,403 (+5%) 33,221,615
    DS 499,183 (-21%) 722,751,541
    PSP 224,311 (-26%) 259,606,414
    PSV 189,693 (-16%) 1,929,000

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PSP Vita not doing bad despite what the press say. Seems they just love doom and gloom stories as much as tabloids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PSP Vita not doing bad despite what the press say. Seems they just love doom and gloom stories as much as tabloids.

+1.

i find ps vita an amazing device! i still dont understand how the hell 3ds sells so much...

did they include digital distribution in to pc part?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

+1.

i find ps vita an amazing device! i still dont understand how the hell 3ds sells so much...

All figures exclude digital sales, which would have an impact on most platforms, and especially the PC platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Digital sales are going to be an increasingly large factor with the Vita too as games as genuinely cheaper on the PSN store when they launch.

Digital sales are going to be an increasingly large factor with the Vita too as games as genuinely cheaper on the PSN store when they launch.

vita and PC. specially PC. I could just imagine how many games were sold on steam, origin etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

i still dont understand how the hell 3ds sells so much...
    My wife is a primary school teacher and she says all the kids in school have replaced their DS with a 3DS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To be honest it's got a fanastic little library so far.

Well I would not trust a child with ps vita, but I would give him 100 quid ds...
    So Nintendo like always making a killing in young gamers market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

+1.

I would say psp could pick up when more games come out, I was an early adopter of the psp go and got burned badly .

Nintendo on the other hand seem to keep things simpler but allot of the games are good fun . Sony on the other hand at times made crap ports of full games and how the released a download only device without allot of their backcatalogue is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

PS Vita is doing plenty bad. Sure, it can pick up, but the fact a desperation price drop was known to be inevitable before it even launched in the West tells its own story.

What its sales are most indicative of is the bottom sliding out of the market for core, big budget and big price handheld games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Man the PSP has sold more than the 360 or PS3 thats a stat I wasn't expecting. How much would a Psp be 2nd hand now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

+1.

I'm a big fan of all 4 'active' handhelds, and despite the fact that the Vita already has some good titles due to a very decent launch lineup, the 3DS certainly has better titles right now. Love them both, but they have a long way to go before outdoing their predecessors both in terms of sales and quality games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I never got the handheld gaming thing
    I know you are going to say that there are some fantastic games on them but I just feel like they are 2nd rate cut down games
    the only one I ever had was a Gameboy which I bought years after they came out and only played the games that came with it, maybe if I got it as a kid I would be more inclined to like them but the ones that were out then were overpriced and too simple in nature like the Game and Watch series

Syferus wrote: »
    PS Vita is doing plenty bad. Sure, it can pick up, but the fact a desperation price drop was known to be inevitable before it even launched in the West tells its own story.

What its sales are most indicative of is the bottom sliding out of the market for core, big budget and big price handheld games.
    You clearly dont own ps vita and haven't played or spent enough time with it. If I would get my money back for my ps vita and 3ds, I would go and buy vita again with no second thoughts. I don't even mind paying 40eu price for games on it as you get more of a console version of games on it, then watered down portable versions. Ps vita is not doing that bad, it's too early to be digging a hole for it. It's out only 1 month in eu.

Skerries wrote: »
    I never got the handheld gaming thing
    I know you are going to say that there are some fantastic games on them but I just feel like they are 2nd rate cut down games

If you go into handhelds only looking for home-console style games, you're only going to come across the '2nd rate cut down' games. Even with the Vita, Uncharted doesn't really do anything for me, but I could play Lumines or Motorstorm RC all day. I've certainly played both more than any of the AAA games released in the last 6 months.

The one exception to that for me is RPGs, which I just don't have the time to play in front of a TV any more. Being able to play them while commuting/travelling makes completing them a realistic task for me. And the sheer amount of top quality (i.e. better than or as good as their home-console equivalent) JRPGs released on the DS/PSP means I'll never be able to make it through them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I would predominantly play RPG's, FPS's and RTS's and I am not into JRPG's so I prefer to play in front of a monitor/tv so handhelds aren't my bag
    They would be good if I had to commute long distances but I don't so mobile gaming would be enough for me
    I think they are great for what they are and especially for kids which I think is their biggest market
    I may eventually get a Vita some time down the line as it is quite impressive for what it is and much closer to a home gaming system than we have previously had

Even when I'm at home I play handhelds more than home consoles, though that's probably just me. I still play gameboy games frequently. I play retro stuff more than newer stuff on home consoles so in general the stuff I play on handheld is probably more 'advanced' than the stuff I play in front of a tv anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

ghostchant wrote: »
    Even when I'm at home I play handhelds more than home consoles, though that's probably just me. I still play gameboy games frequently. I play retro stuff more than newer stuff on home consoles so in general the stuff I play on handheld is probably more 'advanced' than the stuff I play in front of a tv anyway.

Same here, i find it difficult to commit time to movies or tv shows but gimme a book or album or handheld game and i've no problem at all.
    I think it has something to do with the fact that i'd be stuck on a couch for an extended period of time:pac:

ghostchant wrote: »
    Well you are not alone. For example my handhelds have newer left home after I bought them. For me vita is more of a home console when I am in a bed and misses is not up for a "game". She can watch her telly and I can play my games. I own all of the current gen stuff amd only two things are most played: pc and ps vita.
    Older gamers have partners or kids and know that telly or pc is harder to get too, so things like handhelds is the only salvation. Plus you get more and more stuff on handhelds which are console quality.

You clearly dont own ps vita and haven't played or spent enough time with it. If I would get my money back for my ps vita and 3ds, I would go and buy vita again with no second thoughts. I don't even mind paying 40eu price for games on it as you get more of a console version of games on it, then watered down portable versions. Ps vita is not doing that bad, it's too early to be digging a hole for it. It's out only 1 month in eu.

Where did I say I disliked the Vita? It's an undeniable fact 30-40 euro handheld games have become a much, much harder sell. The Vita's price was actually quite good at announcement, but the tablet price war when combined with poor sales in Japan has made it clear Sony need to do what Nintendo did with the 3DS and be very aggressive in re-pricing it if they don't want it to be an afterthought in the handheld market.

You or I could love it as a platform but that doesn't mean it isn't in serious need of work to make it viable as anything but a miniature niche in the industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Source on the data in the OP?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Already an update as the thread started late :P

Platform Weekly (change) Total
    3DS 172,755 (-4%) 16,482,680
    PS3 160,732 (-7%) 62,625,044
    X360 116,336 (-3%) 65,420,835
    PSV 91,633 (-19%) 1,587,485
    Wii 76,120 (-5%) 95,337,679
    PSP 43,460 (+4%) 73,539,794
    DS 34,895 (-10%) 151,705,833

Software:
    PS3 2,271,316 (-6%) 529,793,582
    X360 2,049,697 (-35%) 617,982,439
    Wii 1,368,565 (+16%) 777,487,106
    DS 763,674 (+51%) 723,523,142
    PC 547,148 (-19%) N/A
    PSP 473,761 (+109%) 260,082,992
    3DS 429,841 (-20%) 33,654,482
    PSV 148,022 (-23%) 2,078,040

In short, PSP sales still on the increase, PSP, DS and Wii software sales jump. PSP sales up over 100% due to a number of high profile releases in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

Those psv sales look pretty good, but why are we hearing so many doom & gloom stories?

jaydoxx wrote: »
    Those psv sales look pretty good, but why are we hearing so many doom & gloom stories?

Bad news gets more hits than good news.

How is being outsold by a margin of almost 2:1 by your nearest competitor, who also has been out nearly a year longer, something not alarming or newsworthy? Nevermind that being continually outstripped in Japan by the 3DS means the Vita us far less likely to get a big ticket Japanese third party gane to even lead on it without a serious money hat from Sony. Monster Hunter papered over alot of cracks in Japan (and indirectly in the West) on the PSP but it's more than a little unrealistic to expect lightning to strike twice, this is a very different handheld market.

Guys, stop being so defensive. Most of the press is justified.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Buuump! Figures for the previous week:

Hardware sales:

3DS 218,138 (+21%) 20,703,278
    PS3 206,216 (+68%) 66,766,226
    X360 142,853 (+17%) 68,600,737
    PSP 47,481 (+49%) 75,088,618
    PSV 43,243 (+30%) 2,957,433
    Wii 38,210 (+9%) 96,668,772
    DS 21,457 (-8%) 152,082,461
    Total 717,598 (+30%)

Software Sales:
    PS3 4,290,529 (+101%) 577,417,175
    X3603,538,545 (+53%) 662,833,350
    PC 1,253,108 (+83%) N/A
    Wii 808,875 (+10%) 803,797,218
    DS 504,095 (+7%) 741,400,472
    3DS 503,975 (+9%) 48,846,939
    PSP 455,921 (+71%) 268,253,760
    PSV 187,592 (+87%) 5,558,577
    Total 11,542,640 (+61%)

PSP still performing strong in Japan combined with the new PSP model keeps it ahead of the PSVita.. for now. I think come Christmas the tables will finally turn and the Vita will pick up. The PS3 has been slowly catching up to the 360 and has been almost constantly outselling it over the last few months. Will we see a swaparound for 2nd place in hardware sales?

Nintendo hit a landmark a few weeks back by hitting the 20m mark on the 3DS. So from the point where this thread started to now, over 4m have been sold. Wii still selling but might not hit 100m sales by the end of the year. Will be close though!

As for software it's been an interesting week with both big PSP and PSVita games racking up their sales. This in turn boosted their hardware sales and it looks like a continuing trend with some AAA titles coming out on PSVita at least.

PS3 sales doubled this week over last week primarily due to FIFA 13, same surge applies to 360. PC surge of 83% is primarily down to the new World of Warcraft expansion which has sold almost 700,000 in a week retail, almost 3m total. 3DS not seeing much of an increase due to no large name releases.

Exciting times on the horizon with Christmas approaching.

I wonder how much of those Vita sales are in japan, I don't see it being popular anywhere else in the world. Shame, I hope it picks up, some good stuff being announced and coming out for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I would have assumed that people were waiting for the PSone compatibility issues to be sorted before they bought the PS Vita which was only fixed a month ago.

I've been playing alot of my Vita the last while, really enjoying it as a console although I'm not using half the revolutionary features. I just love the screen though :D

I doubt PS1 compatibility is a big selling point.

• Advertisement

I doubt PS1 compatibility is a big selling point.

i think it would have a thing to play in sales m8. a lot of people, me included were unhappy that it had no support for psone.

i alone have parasite eve 2, ff7, ff9, CTR on my vita.

Advertisement