Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Sales Analysis

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i think it would have a thing to play in sales m8. a lot of people, me included were unhappy that it had no support for psone.

i alone have parasite eve 2, ff7, ff9, CTR on my vita.

But you bought one anyway :P It was pretty obvious it was coming, considering Sony said it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But you bought one anyway :P It was pretty obvious it was coming, considering Sony said it was.

i sure did! :P

i still love it a lot. It just needs some more love from game devs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

One of the biggest problems that Sony have and one they could easily adress is the price of their memory cards. I've bought all my Vita games barring Little Big Planet from PSN because it's cheaper and available on the same day of release. However I've filled up my 16gb card and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend another €50 (or €80 for a 32gb card) just for the privilage of giving them even more money on PSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭RedXIV

One of the biggest problems that Sony have and one they could easily adress is the price of their memory cards. I've bought all my Vita games barring Little Big Planet from PSN because it's cheaper and available on the same day of release. However I've filled up my 16gb card and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend another €50 (or €80 for a 32gb card) just for the privilage of giving them even more money on PSN.

I'd agree with this. When I have space available, I can't fill the card fast enough but once it hits a limit I lose interest. Sony ends up losing out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Where are you getting these figures from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

VGChartz. They normally have a quarterly review section too with some interesting analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Does anyone see it likely that the DS will finally sell that final 1.05 million it needs to match the PS2 as the best-selling console of all-time? The PS2 officially launched in Brazil in '09, which has potential for top-up sales, but it's prohibitively expensive to the average wage (and most sane people), and the market's rife with imports and piracy anyways.

I know Nintendo promoted two new variations of the DSi recently (no, really: http://tinyurl.com/dyxam7s), but I doubt they'd quite crack the mark. Even with a couple of big DS-brand titles coming in, like Pokemon Black 2 and White 2, I don't see many first-timers choosing a new DS/i/iXL, when they can have the same functionality and a new platform in the 3DS/XL. There's the guaranteed lower-end of the market, but that rarely ever counts for all that much of a console's life-sales in the long-run, and more a stab at bleeding the last few coins from a retiring system.

Interestingly, on top of all this, EA went ahead with a PS2 version of Fifa '13 this year, and wasn't bothered with the DS. Mind, I imagine this has more to do with the relatively straight-forward process of porting the PSP version over to the PS2, instead of starting from scratch with a DS version, even with it being the more recent system(and actually still somewhat supported). EA being lazy, who'd a' thunk it? Rarely a company to pass up a penny, whatever end of the market. Anyways, if this fact sells a single PS2, I'll have to reconsider many things in life.

I'll probably be picking up a Vita within the next year, to play the port of Muramasa: The Demon Blade. It's got the stuff from the Wii original, but has 4/5 extra characters/stories (if I'm recalling correctly). It was a brilliant game first time round, so triple the original is worth a punt, I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

I know this is slightly off topic but im surprised at how much less preorders Black Ops 2 has in comparison to MW3.The game has 483,000 less preorders so far. Looks like cods dominance is finally starting to decline?

224214.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

...Or people actually wanted to find out what happened in MW3?

Whereas people couldn't give a toss about black ops story :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Taylor365 wrote: »

that'd actually be a little disappointing if that was the reason as the Black ops story was far superior to any of the MW storylines imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

That graph doesn't say a whole lot to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

tok9 wrote: »
    that'd actually be a little disappointing if that was the reason as the Black ops story was far superior to any of the MW storylines imo.
    Really?

I didn't make it past the 3rd or 4th mission. Uninstalled it after that...and that was a pirated edition! :O

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can't even remember what happened in any of the Call of Duty games since CoD4, that's how much of an impression they left with me. It's just excuse after excuse to put ethnic and racial minorities in front of my crosshairs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sort of on topic but I stumbled across this press release for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, it is just an interesting little insight into the benefits of digital distribution for indie developers.

This was the first game that Stardock did not release at retail and despite the digital only approach, became the fastest-selling title in the company's history

http://www.stardock.com/about/newsitem.asp?id=2738

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Taylor365 wrote: »

I'd imagine a tiny percent of people play COD for the story, as rubbish as it is. COD is all about multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Not defending any of the CODs as I hated MW3 but Black Ops had an enjoyable single player with an all right storyline in comparison to the others.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Long bump but there's some interesting developments this month.

Below is from March 2012:
    Platform Weekly (change) Total
    3DS 172,755 (-4%) 16,482,680
    PS3 160,732 (-7%) 62,625,044
    X360 116,336 (-3%) 65,420,835
    PSV 91,633 (-19%) 1,587,485
    Wii 76,120 (-5%) 95,337,679
    PSP 43,460 (+4%) 73,539,794
    DS 34,895 (-10%) 151,705,833

Software:
    PS3 2,271,316 (-6%) 529,793,582
    X360 2,049,697 (-35%) 617,982,439
    Wii 1,368,565 (+16%) 777,487,106
    DS 763,674 (+51%) 723,523,142
    PC 547,148 (-19%) N/A
    PSP 473,761 (+109%) 260,082,992
    3DS 429,841 (-20%) 33,654,482
    PSV 148,022 (-23%) 2,078,040

Hardware sales as of 18th May
    3DS 138,079 (-18%) 31,115,373
    PS3 124,134 (-7%) 77,183,123
    X360 83,095 (-4%) 77,221,659
    PSP 50,273 (-10%) 78,983,743
    PSV 32,115 (-36%) 5,080,019
    Wii 28,807 (-6%) 99,544,889
    WiiU 25,979 (-18%) 3,047,056
    DS 15,826 (+3%) 153,398,847

The 3DS has sold 15m in 14 months. REALLY impressive figures from there. The 3DS hit 30m at the end of April due to a surge in figures from big name releases. I'd expect more spikes over the summer as the 3DS software library becomes ever more impressive.

Also the PSVita surpassed 5m sales in early May. Unfortunately comparing that to March, that's 3m sales in a year. The older PSP sold the 5m in the same period (just won't die thanks to some quality eastern releases) which I'd say cut through Sony's heart (if they have one) 3DS currently outselling 5:1, hell even the older DS is not that far behind the Vita sales, but the PS4 might bring a resurgence to Vita sales.

Another very interesting note to see is that the PS3 looks like it will overtake the Xbox 360 in hardware sales by the end of the month. Congratulations if it will happen (probably will)! The 360 sold around 12m units to PS3's 15m in the same period.

The Wii U selling 3m within 6 months comes to many as a disappointment but to be perfectly honest I cannot see how. It's probably below many's estimates but 3m in a half year is nothing to gawp about. Recent news about the consoles 875% sales spike after Xbox One conference also just cements the Wii U's console status as a stayer.

Finally the Wii is on the verge of breaking 100m sales, more then likely over the summer period.

Vita has 5 million sales in a year? I was expecting far more disappointing sales than that. That's some very good sales for a year. I think the reports of it being a disaster are more game journo daily mail style headline grabbing. Same with the WiiU.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Vita has 5 million sales in a year? I was expecting far more disappointing sales than that. That's some very good sales for a year. I think the reports of it being a disaster are more game journo daily mail style headline grabbing. Same with the WiiU.

+1

I was expecting a lot worse by the amount of doom and gloom moaning. 5mil vita? That sounds good. At this time of the year too. Let's not forget, it's in Ireland still autumn/winter puss raining time. The rest of the world is enjoying Sun and holidays. It's not the golden time for hardware sales.

5million vitas with quite poor software lineup is great. We all know it's 5 million hungry vita users, who will buy next proper good title in heart beat too. Surely that is already worth making games for.

It's 3m for a 14 month period and 5m total. I really hope sales on it continue to rise

• Advertisement

It's 3m for a 14 month period and 5m total. I really hope sales on it continue to rise

Well, they should. If ps4 will really deliver the full on streaming, then we are in business. That will alone make ps vita worth owning.

Advertisement