Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salt water fishing help

Options
  • 22-03-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

What type of salt water fishing is available this time of year and what species should b targeted with what bait I am in the BMW region and will b fishing from the shoreline. All comments will be gladly recieved thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

I'm not sure what you mean by BMW region, but sea angling is a little slow this time of year. Too late for winter species and too early for summer.

In my area we can get flatfish but they are a little skinny after spawning, other species are small and rare enough. There's also a lot of swell in the sea which reduces visability. Things usaully pick up after May

You could just target Lesser spotted dogfish, they're not hard to catch. Just set up a two hook paternoster rig http://www.fishinginireland.info/sea/rigs.htm, just add wire trace joining the hooks which you will bait with biggish strips of mackerel. If that fails try targeting something else and you'll probably still catch them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Im not sure what you mean by bmw region.if I had a better idea where you were from I could be more helpful .

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

The Border, Midland & Western (BMW) Region covers a large and diverse area and comprises thirteen counties, including the six border counties of Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan and Louth; the three western counties of Galway, Mayo and Roscommon and the four midland counties of Laois, Offaly, Longford and Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I guess youll be fishing Galway Mayo and Sligo.This gives you loads of options.I take it your fishing from the shore.You'll have plenty of flounder and bass on the rocky shores,you wont need deep water.Best fishing were there's both sand and rocky gulleys.You will also have plenty of flounder and bass in the estuary's.You will have mackerel in the next few weeks,there is already good reports of catches.There are quite a few sea trout around but im not sure about your area.Theres bass,flounder,dogfish and coal fish to name but a few of what could be caught from sandy beaches.

If you feeling lucky you can try for some mullet.One on the best fighting fish pound for pound but not an easy catch

You will also have plenty of Pollock and wrasse from the shore over rough ground.iv had great catches on light gear and plastics already this year.

baits too use FRESH FRESH FRESH.

Peeler crab
    lug worm
    mackeral
    sand eel
    razor fish
    squid

Get yourself a good selection of plastics and lures like the savage gear slug eels or the rapalla max cast,there great lures that wont break the bank if and when you lose them and twitch them across the bottom or surface.
    Theres loads more but this should keep you interested.
    Best of luck:)

Advertisement