Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need A Hobby, Some Kind of Interest

Options
  • 22-03-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭

Ok so i am bored of me tits to put it nicely. I work three days a week which is sweet but wouldnt mind having a bit of a hobby or course to do on the days off or even the weekends.

Does anyone know about the Fas courses are they any good. I am on jobseekers allowance at the moment so if I done a course would it interfer with it..

Then I need a hobby any suggestions...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

CB Radio USB DX World DX from a hilltop or car roof for €200 basic set and antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

haha that would be gas i can find out all the sca before it happens. I would think though me car might not be able to support a CB radio have to drive over bumps to get the volume working :D..

Not a bad idea though, kinda need something active as well i just saw that football thread but i dont know about that..Anyone here with Blackrock rowing club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Fas courses arent bad, if any of the evening ones intrest you, take it up, cos it wont cost u anything and u learn something new or can get more knowledge in something u already know. Not to mention the certificate to say u have passed the course.
    If i could avail them for free, i would definately take few. The nail techincian one and few computer ones would be nice...

Have u had a hobby before? How about reviving some passion that u used to have a while ago?
    Some sports that u used to do? try to find likeminded people to do it with.

Or collecting something. Always a cool thing to do. Think of what ur interested in. If u arent able to think of anything, how about finding out what ur friends are collecting...

Cooking something cool?

Take up some extra earning opportunity that has something to do with what ur interested of?
    Or voluntary few-hour things that might interest you. Anything from charities to helping out for free in say...observatory:)

Im never bored, always something to do, lol. Full of ideas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

Milly33 wrote: »
    Ok so i am bored of me tits to put it nicely. I work three days a week which is sweet but wouldnt mind having a bit of a hobby or course to do on the days off or even the weekends.

Does anyone know about the Fas courses are they any good. I am on jobseekers allowance at the moment so if I done a course would it interfer with it..

Then I need a hobby any suggestions...

Dogging. It's all the rage...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

spoonface wrote: »
    Dogging. It's all the rage...

try to keep it helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Linux. You don't even have to get up off your chair for it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Couldn't be a better time to want to try something new! The Lifelong Learning Festival is next week. Pick up a brochure and see what is happening. You can learn about fingerprinting, Spanish, Yoga and loads other stuff. You may find something that becomes a hobby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

dory wrote: »
    Couldn't be a better time to want to try something new! The Lifelong Learning Festival is next week. Pick up a brochure and see what is happening. You can learn about fingerprinting, Spanish, Yoga and loads other stuff. You may find something that becomes a hobby!

O yea, forgot about that festival. Might be worth totake a look. Learning a language is always interesting too, theres some free language courses around also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

This has caught my interest! I need to look for free courses to stop my brain turning to lime jelly! I've taken up knitting again after a gap of 25 years, but need something else. Preferably free or minimal cost!!

Where is the Lifelong learning Festival? Does anyone have any further details??

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

This has caught my interest! I need to look for free courses to stop my brain turning to lime jelly! I've taken up knitting again after a gap of 25 years, but need something else. Preferably free or minimal cost!!

Where is the Lifelong learning Festival? Does anyone have any further details??

May this help>? http://www.corkcity.ie/services/communityenterprise/learningfestival2012/

• Advertisement

Thanks for the links for the lifelong learning festival, tis a shame they didnt advertise this a bit more...I didnt manage to get to any so far as tis all been a bit manic..But something has caught my eye, which was soemthing I was thinking of before, my dad had called to see an elderish couple who he done work for before, and they were saying that they could really do with someone to do a bit of work in the garden which put the seed in my head.. Then I spotted on the Douglas Post the other day that a place either in blackrock or Mahon which is close by do this also for people who need it, so walla me thinks I may start there. I love gardening and tis great o give back, so I shall update if tis any good..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Fás courses are handy, great craic and if your in the main bishopstown building as much free coffee as you can handle and the "friendliest" security guard you'll ever meet at the main gates

Being on JSA means you wouldn't have to pay for the part time nights/Saturday courses. Day courses are free even if you where working.

The full time ones can be very intensive even more so if your working at the same time.

Two years ago, I'd my hours cut for a few months and did a course which turned out to be a full time day course,
    I was doing about 35 hours in the kerbing and paving course which was back breaking and 28 hours a week working in a warehouse, often doing two 15hr days a week.

All I got for that was travel allowance as I was making too much to claim JSB, the other lads in the course taught I was bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

Would you like to try a game of handball?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

If you want to try something a bit differant you should look at civil defence.
    (rescue/boats,basic firefighting,ambulance and emergency planning/communications)
    Cork city unit have a page on facebook.
    or in the same style you should look at St.John ambulance, Order of malta or red cross.
    You can learn life saving skills and give back to the community.

best idea though is to think of what you enjoyed as a youth, there is clubs and groups for nearly everything these days so i am sure you will find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Photography is good fun, especially in weather like we're having this week. It can be expensive, but if you're willing to go with older digital gear or film gear there's some good bargains about.

And film is definitely viable again, especially black and white. There's a public dark room after opening open in Cork earlier this year. http://the-dark-room.org/ The woman running it has plans to run some courses on developing and printing your own black and white film. Or you could read up on how to do it yourself. The basics of it aren't that hard to pick up.

mmm i dont think I would have the patience for photography coul'nt stay still for so long haha..But great idea for someone else..

I am defo going to call to Fas also, i take it you must call into the main office as when you ask for help on the site it just tells you to ring...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

It's best to just call into fas if you want to do one of their courses as some of the ones on the website are full and it doesn't tell you that. I went in a couple of weeks ago and signed up for an online course while I'm waiting to get onto one of the full-time ones. There is a lot of demand esp. for web design & multimedia type courses.

Are you interested in art or anything like that? Life drawing is a great hobby to have. Even if you've no experience in it - it's very fulfilling and you'd be fierce proud of yourself having a bit of art up on the walls at home. When anyone calls over you can show it off and say 'I did that'!
    Crawford College runs a few different courses. There is also the Cork 'drink and draw' group which is informal and a bit more fun.

Cork Volunteer Network has a great website - maybe you might like to get involved in a community service or activity for a few hours a week.

If you like dogs you could do a bit of dog walking for the SPCA. I don't know if they still do it, but you can call out to them and take a dog off for a walk or just play with it for a couple of hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Milly33 wrote: »
    mmm i dont think I would have the patience for photography coul'nt stay still for so long haha..But great idea for someone else..

I am defo going to call to Fas also, i take it you must call into the main office as when you ask for help on the site it just tells you to ring...

I do a lot of snorkling and swimming around cork. especially as the weather warms up. great fun, good for fitness and you might even get a tan

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

Definitely recommend taking up a sport with a club like running or rowing, improve health and fitness, meet people and have fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eastieC

Sports, any type, you must have some interest in one. Even if you dont want to play there isnt a sports club in the country who will turn you down if you want to get involved doing something that will help them. Doesnt have to be even anything to do with on pitch activites. Wasnt there some volunteering website that was setup before by the government? Cant remember the site name.

• Advertisement
Advertisement