Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Graveyard Near Dollys Pub at the Roundabout

Options
  • 22-03-2012 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Does anyone remember the old graveyard that sat on a hill at the roundabout beside Dollys Pub? I remember about 25 years ago you could walk up a small pathway up the hill (beside a house which has now been demolished to make way for factory) and there at the top was a VERY old cemetary. It backed onto an old disused quarry which is now a bus depot. I had a look down there it looks like the Hill has been preserved but no way to visit it as its all locked off with high security fencing. Is the Graveyard Still intact? Anyone have any info on this off the beaten track secret place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Does anyone remember the old graveyard that sat on a hill at the roundabout beside Dollys Pub? I remember about 25 years ago you could walk up a small pathway up the hill (beside a house which has now been demolished to make way for factory) and there at the top was a VERY old cemetary. It backed onto an old disused quarry which is now a bus depot. I had a look down there it looks like the Hill has been preserved but no way to visit it as its all locked off with high security fencing. Is the Graveyard Still intact? Anyone have any info on this off the beaten track secret place?

Yep it's there and still protected in it's own fencing. It can be seen within the left of the bus yard up past the roundabout, past the petrol station.

The area is known as Godamendy

I have maps and so forth showing it to be there hundred's of years!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Cheers Chuck yeah if i remember the grave stones were from the 1700s. Do you know if its accesible? Shame to have such historic treats like this locked up and forgotten about. The quarry used to be great for shooting in. I wonder what they quarried there, It all looks so different now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Cheers Chuck yeah if i remember the grave stones were from the 1700s. Do you know if its accesible? Shame to have such historic treats like this locked up and forgotten about. The quarry used to be great for shooting in. I wonder what they quarried there, It all looks so different now!

It's only a bus yard now but regard's the Graveyard, no one can prevent you from accessing the graveyard, even if it's on private property.

If you're ever popping up there on a weekend, PM me, I'd be happy to list down what's actually up there myself.

Advertisement