Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ishihara, Dylexia and the RDF.

• 22-03-2012 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone knew whether they make any allowances for people with dylexia taking the RDF medical Ishihara test. I have know there is meant to be some link but it looks like it's at a fairly embryonic level of research. Anyway I can get a different test done privately and get a letter?

That aside does anyone know what the pass is for the Ishihara test for the RDF? Is it simply fail to see one plate you're gone? I know I have a red/green defect (unless its the dylexia) but when I was looking at joing the Royal Navy I was told: "It will depend on the examiner on the day" and I was looking at engineering so it can be that bad. This was many moons ago!

As an aside; does anyone know what the fitness test is like for a burger munching 32 year old? Am I scr.... needing to live in the gym?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I was wondering if anyone knew whether they make any allowances for people with dylexia taking the RDF medical Ishihara test. I have know there is meant to be some link but it looks like it's at a fairly embryonic level of research.

Yeah mate you seem quite dyslexic, worst case I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

GCD, the bad news is that far from getting you a private test, the M.O. may consider your dyslexia a disqualifying condition. I'd keep quiet about it and hope for the best on the colour test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

i know 2 members of the rdf who are dyslexic and it doesnt seem to affect them but maybe things have tightend up recently.

best to do as donny5 said and say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

Donny5 wrote: »
    GCD, the bad news is that far from getting you a private test, the M.O. may consider your dyslexia a disqualifying condition. I'd keep quiet about it and hope for the best on the colour test.

Dyslexia is a minor impairment compared to some of the eh, "issues" that I know various members of the RDF (and before them the FCÁ) lived with. I wouldn't worry about it, and wouldn't mention it. If it helps, I've encountered NCOs who were functionally illiterate and got by.

I won't mention episodes like the young female private who was discovered on an exercise to be hiding two hearing aids under her hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

I knew a fella who was colourblind (red/green) and still got in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I can sympathise. I am also dyslexic and cannot see ishihara plates. Tell me what the number is supposed to be and i'll quickly trace it it out to you on the plate, but the test don't work that way. The Dept of Transport test for seafarers gives you the option of Lantern or Ishihara plates. One would expect that a test for people driving ships for a living would need to be more strict than the test for people soldiering for 2 hours a week...As was said earlier though, it depends on the Medical Examiner on the day. Some are reasonable. One (after I had berated him) asked me to identify the colours of items in his office. I had pointed out that in any event, the army only had seven colours, and everyone would be wearing green....

Discus, you clearly have no idea what dyslexia is. Educate yourself, before making a further ass of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Apologies, OP and anyone else with dyslexia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

@Discus - to be fair most people don't realise the massive advantages dylexia gives you. It's a form of brain damage that forces the hemisperes of your brain to work togeather. Einstien was most likely dyslexic. It's particually advantageous for anything involving spacial awareness such and, engineering, arctiture and pilots. It tends to force you to compensate when reading by using your speech centre hence why alot of dylexics move their lips when reading.

Just because I'm a boffin doesn't mean my spelling looks like that of an 11 year old lol!

@ everyone else Thanks for the advice - I might keep stum about the dylexia as I'm going for an Ishihara test today and the optician has said you can miss a few plates and still pass. Here's hoping. Its a minor colour defect rather than blindness just incase anyone is interested.

@goldie fish The mad thing is I've been sailing for years and never had an issue - the only justification the army has really is that unless your colour vision is perfect you may not see the enemy as easily / shoot one of your guys. Fairly dubious given I'd have no issues with the TA in th UK. I can see red and green markers in the dark with no issues. I'd like to say I'm yet to have an accident but I've grounded one yacht because I 'forgot' (was to hung over to listen properly) which side of the channel I was told to be on and missed a racer out in Dun Laoghaire by inches because the skipper told me to keep helming a head lol. There is no-one more foul mouthed that posh people on racing yachts :P

To be fair I think the fact that I'm a gigantic fat b****** might be my biggest hurdle!

Maoltuile wrote: »
    I've encountered NCOs who were functionally illiterate and got by.

I was under the impression from my contact with the RAF over the years it was a requirement! :D

So failed the Ishihara at the opticians - reckon its worth carrying on or will I just be wasting their time. Dont really want to do this as I know they have a waiting list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

So failed the Ishihara at the opticians - reckon its worth carrying on or will I just be wasting their time. Dont really want to do this as I know they have a waiting list.

Do it, GCD. Don't worry about wasting their time, they'll waste plenty of yours if you get in! Have a go and hope for the best. Good luck.

Sooo... after spending hours at the hospital got refused the Pvt running the show that night was a bit of a joke - organisation wise. LT was very nice about it and said we knew it might happen don't worry - I was a bit concerned I was wasting people's time but after the God knows how many hours wait I wasn't minding so much!

Looks like this sort of thing is being taken quite seriously - I suppose they can pick and choose at the min.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

discus wrote: »
    Apologies, OP and anyone else with dyslexia.

Don't apologise to me - apologise to the King of Sweden. He's dyslexic.

Didn't stop him from getting on in the Army, Navy AND Air Force, did it?

AND he got to be king, too.

tac

Advertisement