Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulcher mower or regular mower?

• 22-03-2012 3:01pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

have a large enough area and am sick of collecting the grass and hauling it somewhere to dump. Was getting a mulcher mower but my brother tells me they cause the lawn to moss over eventully. Can anyone say for sure?

tks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not a definitive answer by any means but from what I've read the main factors leading to excessive moss are usually shady poor soil and inappropriate mowing, e.g if you cut too much off at a time.

Most gardening books say cut no more than 1/3rd off and recommend frequent light cuts instead. The thinking is that frequent trimming does not stress the grass, retains moisture, the grass will remain healthy and there's the added benefit that the mulch will be very fine and should decay rapidly thereby continuously fertilizing the soil. The healthy grass can then crowd out any sprouting moss before it takes a foothold.

I don't think mulching will cause excessive moss, but if your brother is anything like me, allowing the lawn grow too tall then giving it a severe mowing can.

Advertisement