Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such thing as a non-student visa for USA?

Options
  • 22-03-2012 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I hear of countless people going to america to live/work in...even my old neighbour, while being irish born has an american mother and a sister living over there, do you have to have a relative/get married over there if you want to stay for longer, because that's what this guy is doing, staying with his sister? I don't exactly want to apply for a Green Card or anything...just live in a state for about a year or two, I had a conversation with my sister about this and surely there must be a way of going over without a J1....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

With an American mother, your neighbour is probably a US citizen too, but yes, it is easy to get a visa if you have a close relative who is a US citizen and lives there, or at least a greencard holder.

There isn't really a 1 year work visa or similar, if you are not a student. There are work visas for highly skilled people, or those from international companies being transfered (such as Google etc), but that is about it. Then there is the greencard lottery (officially called Diversity Visa Lottery); it's designed for those that want to immigrate permanently. but they won't stop you leaving after a couple of years if that is what you want.

You might look at Canada, I *think* it is easier to get a short term working visa for there.

Advertisement