Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco removing special offers before end date?

Options
  • 22-03-2012 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was in Tesco last week and saw great offers on Easter chocolates. I didn't have the budget to buy them then so I checked the promotion end dates on the stickers - they all had an end date 25/03/2012 - and thought I would come back to buy them this week. I went yesterday to find that all yellow stickers had been removed and the chocolates (except the novelty ones that are on special across all stores) where back to full price.
    The chocolates were not even out of stock, bar for a few ones they were all on the shelves, but at full price. I then spotted a large Tesco Finest egg with a yellow sticker saying half price with an end date 25/03/2012, the same that had been on the other chocolates a week before. I took it to the till, where it scanned at full price. I got it for half price (I stupidly forgot about their double difference policy, duh!) because the sticker was still on display, but then the guy at the till went to remove the sticker. :confused:

I wonder if anyone noticed this? I don't have anything to prove it of course :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Any special offer can be withdrawn by the retailer any time they like. There is no guarantee that it will be available when you return, even if the offer was set to run to a particular date. The stock that was on offer may well have run out, and now the shelves are stacked with new stock that was not going to be on the offer. Just because there was stock there, doesn't mean it's the same. Could be, but not necessarily the same stuff.

In short, buy it when you see it, as it may not be available later.

On the over charging you for the Tesco Finest egg, you should have gotten that for free. Tesco policy is not double the difference, it's if they over charge you at the till then you get the product for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

jor el wrote: »
    On the over charging you for the Tesco Finest egg, you should have gotten that for free. Tesco policy is not double the difference, it's if they over charge you at the till then you get the product for free.

Not any more, unfortunately! It has been double the difference for quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Not any more, unfortunately! It has been double the difference for quite some time.

Which can often work out much better! My father in law once bought a six pack of Bass as a Christmas treat for himself with the rest of the Christmas shopping, turns out the Bass scanned at €60.00 instead of €6.00 it was supposed to be. Double the difference worked out at €108.00... silly Tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In short, retailers can withdraw offers at any time they want. Unfortunately, nothing you can do at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The sticker is obviously going to be removed because regardless of signage, the offer has ended as it scanned at full price. They have to act on this when noticed and revert all signage back to the normal price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

When you say you took it to the till and it scanned at full price but you got it for half price, had you initially paid the full price?

Double the difference back only applies if you already paid the incorrect price.

If you pointed out it wasn't scanning correctly and they amended the price at the till before you paid, you're not entitled to double the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

When you say you took it to the till and it scanned at full price but you got it for half price, had you initially paid the full price?

Double the difference back only applies if you already paid the incorrect price.

If you pointed out it wasn't scanning correctly and they amended the price at the till before you paid, you're not entitled to double the difference.

Yes, I know that. That's why I mentioned that I stupidly forgot about their policy, I should have paid it in full and gone to claim my due at the customer service desk...

OK, I understand your point. But what happens when someone makes an online order on say, the 21st for a delivery date on the 24th and selects items that are on special offer until the 25th if the shop withdraws the offers before the advertised date? Can the person claim the advertised price? I usually take screenshots of special offers when ordering online, so it would be easy to prove

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭rameire

no, you get the price it is on the day of delivery with tesco, they even say that on their website, about prices may change,
    you also have the right to refuse delivery of any of the items if they are not to your liking.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Advertisement