Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog food- senior/ overweight

• 22-03-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

im looking at trying out a new dog food for my old dog.
    she is 12/13 yrs old, small and a bit overweight.
    has anyone used 'Burns- High Oats'?
    it has 20% protein and 7.5% fat. these are the lowest
    of these two elements I can find.
    has anyone used something better, or something they found useful
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

they didnt stock this in the petshop so i
    went for multi fit- light... hopefully this will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

you cant generally buy burns in pet stores... usually the vets..

I buy my burns on www.zoolpus.ie

:D

cocker5 wrote: »
    you cant generally buy burns in pet stores... usually the vets..

I buy my burns on www.zoolpus.ie

:D

how do u find it? i might get a bag of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Renno123 wrote: »
    how do u find it? i might get a bag of it.

I use it too. Good dog food. Cheapest place to get it, as mentioned, is on zooplus. There are other online shops too. Vets normally works out more expensive but as Burns is a good quality food the feeding guidlines are low - 10g/Kg - so a bag may seem expensive but actually will last a long time.

My lot are on chicken & brown rice. Burns dogs are generally slim dogs so you may not have to go for High Oats.

Maybe get in touch with their customer service (the best!). You can either email them or 'chat' to them via the website for free. Or if you get in touch with Burns Ireland in Limerick they will get Burns UK to ring you for free. They'll advise what is the best flavour for your dog.

EDIT: forgot to say, Burns as you probably saw on their website, don't believe in different foods for different life stages. So one food suits a dog forever. Which is great, especially if you have a few dogs. Some people would say Senior, Light, etc type foods are just ways for manufacturers to make more money.

paultf wrote: »
    I use it too. Good dog food. Cheapest place to get it, as mentioned, is on zooplus. There are other online shops too. Vets normally works out more expensive but as Burns is a good quality food the feeding guidlines are low - 10g/Kg - so a bag may seem expensive but actually will last a long time.

My lot are on chicken & brown rice. Burns dogs are generally slim dogs so you may not have to go for High Oats.

Maybe get in touch with their customer service (the best!). You can either email them or 'chat' to them via the website for free. Or if you get in touch with Burns Ireland in Limerick they will get Burns UK to ring you for free. They'll advise what is the best flavour for your dog.

EDIT: forgot to say, Burns as you probably saw on their website, don't believe in different foods for different life stages. So one food suits a dog forever. Which is great, especially if you have a few dogs. Some people would say Senior, Light, etc type foods are just ways for manufacturers to make more money.

10g food per kg weight! wow, that would work out very reasonable

• Advertisement

would it be hard to keep the weight on a dog with so little food though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I use burns with all my dogs in general it keeps them leaner than other foods. A bag goes a long way. I get about 40 days out of 30kg and I have 6 dogs. you can buy it online here delivery by courier the next day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 BennyBlanc0

Renno123 wrote: »
    im looking at trying out a new dog food for my old dog.
    she is 12/13 yrs old, small and a bit overweight.
    has anyone used 'Burns- High Oats'?
    it has 20% protein and 7.5% fat. these are the lowest
    of these two elements I can find.
    has anyone used something better, or something they found useful
    thanks

Hey Renno, have a read of this article on senior dogs diet on. It introduces you to La Flamme. I read a good few dog nutrition books and she features heavily in all of them. In short it highlights that while older dogs need 20% less energy they need more protein, not less (50% more it says). You can't get fat on protein for starters, unlike carbs so they're great for older dogs. Protein will help her retain lean muscle which is vital in older animals (including us), otherwiase it wasters. Carbs dont build muscle they build fat. And she says it needs to be higher quality so I'd be leaning towards meatier ingredients (and not the can crap!) like big macs and rancheros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

We have had quite a bit of success on James Wellbeloved Senior/Light - works well, dogs don't get hungry inbetween meals and a bag goes a very long way. Some pet stores stock it and it can be bought online too (www.zooplus.ie or www.zooplus.co.uk)

Advertisement