Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco fruit and veg display and sell by dates

Options
  • 22-03-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭

Happening more and more I've noticed. An item the display untill date may be the same day or within a day or so. The sell by date is a day or so after that. Within a day or so of buying it the fruit or veg is rotten or gone off and can be still in the sell by date. Their stock has no shelf life and seems to be getting worse. Most people do their shopping once a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Just don't buy fruit and veg in Tesco. That may sound like a smartarse answer, but it's not meant to. The quality in the fresh food sections is absolutely shocking and the prices are at least double (sometimes triple) Aldi/Lidl prices where you get top-notch stuff that stays fresh for a lot longer than the Tesco crap. I made the change from Tesco about three years ago and I reckon I've spent about €300 max. in total at Tesco since then. Never go there unless I really have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I agree should shop elsewhere but lidl doesnt have the same ranges. Tesco have a good selection of free from brands and its a bit of a pain driving around to different places to shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Have to give them that alright! The Free From range is very good in fairness.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

We;d buy an awful lot of veg and tbh it goes off pretty quick when bought from Tesco....atleast we've found that, we tend to get stuff in Lidl because of this.

Not sure of the reason, perhaps Lidl have the veg on the shelfs for shorter periods then Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Had to stop getting tomatoes in Tesco as i was bringing them back rotten before sell by date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think you get better deals and produce in a local fruit and veg shop than you would in a lot of supermarkets. At least the owner's within reach if there's a problem with something.

Advertisement