Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAS's "Web Design with Adobe Dreamweaver" course

Options
  • 22-03-2012 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

Thinking about doing this course: http://goo.gl/w7Vy5 (Course Code ELR87)
    Seems it's Adobe certified, and upon completion they issue "Adobe Certified Associate in Web Communication Using Adobe Dreamweaver CS5"

anybody done that or had any experience with this particular course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

been to Pitman Training in Limerick today for an aptitude test for this course. what a joke! nobody bothered to check peoples' IDs (there were about 20 folks there). some genius made the compulsory to wait 1.5mins after answering every single of 27 questions of the "Windows7 test", meaning something that could take 5 mins took over 45mins for people to finish and the only person there didn't have a clue and tried to contact their IT dept in Dublin to speed up the process (she failed).

just thought I'd put it here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

no but there is a exam for dreamweaver as far as i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Went on it 3 yrs ago, not a bad intro course with ok notes. I took it for what it was, an intro course to test the waters and see if I liked web design without spending a fortune. I didn't but liked the experience and it helped me understand HTML a whole lot more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I was on it last year. I definitely recommend it. But, be prepared in the first couple of weeks to be sitting there doing nothing. I felt like there was a lot of padding on the course (trying to stretch the day out).

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

what was the aptitude test for this? Is it testing prior familiarity with dreamweaver or just general aptitude for computer familiarity?

• Advertisement

Stevolende wrote: »
    what was the aptitude test for this? Is it testing prior familiarity with dreamweaver or just general aptitude for computer familiarity?

Well, the test when I did it, involved doing a webpage layout in fireworks/photoshop. They'll give you the design and you've to replicate it.

That is the test to see if you qualify to get on the course?
    Just wondering what you do need to know before the course begins.
    Since i'd be interested in taking the course but haven't heard exactly what prior aptitude test would be like and thought if I could find out I could practise for it.

If it's that I think I can do some practise but somebody earlier in the thread says about a 27 question test that was badly set out by invigilator. & I didn't think that sounded the same as what you just said.

That is the test to see if you qualify to get on the course?
    Yes
    Just wondering what you do need to know before the course begins.
    It starts on the basics, so don't worry about previous knowledge too much.

Thanks,

is there another multiple choice thing in the aptitude test as well in some areas or something? Was just trying to find an online version of a Windows 7 test, which is mentioned above figure it is something I should be able to pass even if I'm more familiar with XP.

Thanks,

is there another multiple choice thing in the aptitude test as well in some areas or something? Was just trying to find an online version of a Windows 7 test, which is mentioned above figure it is something I should be able to pass even if I'm more familiar with XP.

Not as far as I remember. It was just the web page to replicate on photoshop/fireworks. It's a beginner course.

• Advertisement

There was a general computer aptitude test, nothing to do with the dreamweaver

This course ended with an Adobe ACA in Web Communitations using Dreamweaver, and was a completely waste of time for me. Poorly educated trainers, and the whole thing could have taken 5 days not 17 weeks.

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    There was a general computer aptitude test, nothing to do with the dreamweaver

This course ended with an Adobe ACA in Web Communitations using Dreamweaver, and was a completely waste of time for me. Poorly educated trainers, and the whole thing could have taken 5 days not 17 weeks.

Never had a general computer aptitude test myself, but totally agree that the course could have been done in half the time easily. Was very much a talking point amongst the other attendees.

Does help if they remember to provide the image you're supposed to be duplicating. Managed to forget they hadn't recently.

& it does seem a much easier test than I thought it was from the description. Had me worried over the summer as I meant to apply myself to a lot more practise than I wound up doing.

I noticed that there was a different certification between what was offered on the full time day course and the night course
    nights =>City and Guilds iTQ Certificate of Unit Credit in Website Software Level 2
    day => Adobe Certified Associate in Web Communication Using Adobe Dreamweaver CS5

though only the day is listed as with Dreamweaver.
    I was thinking that if I didn't manage to get the day course I could do the evening one to a similar end but it's a different certification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 artvaark

As a seasoned web designer I would recommend anyone to stay away from Dreamweaver. I used it in the past, but the longer you work with a WYSIWYG editor, the longer it keeps you from fully understanding html and css. Why not learn yourself with the help of many good sources on the internet and start coding from scratch?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dellboyblues

ref to adobe certified associate in web communication using adobe dreamweaver cs5 with FAS in Limerick! I notice that it also using Adobe Fireworks as well (which I haven't any knowledge of), so since I have completed a FETAC level 5 in both Web design and Multimedia authoring would it be worthwhile me doing this? or is it a waste of time?

I have just completed a FETAC level 5 major award in creative media with the aim of doing advance multimedia and web development level 6 in September!

it's a free adobe cert, if you want it, go for it, otherwise I think it will be a waste of your time

it's a free adobe cert, if you want it, go for it, otherwise I think it will be a waste of your time

So I guess it s not worthwhile doing then? :( Shame would have thought it might worth a bit of training or extra knowledge. I just recently went to a 'Game Design' briefing in Limerick and that was a complete shamble because it a level 6 major award which contains 8 modules and it is done over a 35 weeks period including 4 weeks of work experience. The bad thing about it was that they didn't have a clue that people on long term unemployment normally collect their money at the post office nor did they realised that you have to sign on every 4 weeks?

Another word these organisers for this course thought we just do an online attitude test then start a week later without informing the social welfare or to apply for the back to education grant! Typical of FAS not passing that information on to the contractors lol.

I was there alright, no worries did something like this in the past (Webactivate) and SW is the last thing you need to worry about. I was paid straight into bank account and didn't have to sign at all, nor apply for back to education

doing a lv8 now but still think this Game Design course may be great, just don't know if I want to commit myself to full time lv6 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ref to adobe certified associate in web communication using adobe dreamweaver cs5 with FAS in Limerick! I notice that it also using Adobe Fireworks as well (which I haven't any knowledge of), so since I have completed a FETAC level 5 in both Web design and Multimedia authoring would it be worthwhile me doing this? or is it a waste of time?

they use fireworks to design buttons for navigation bars and a few animated gifs and thats about it really...that fas course is a waste of time you'd learn more on youtube tutorials tbh

they might be running a php course which would be more beneficial

fryup wrote: »
    they might be running a php course which would be more beneficial

especially that you can get SQL cert out of it

• Advertisement

Okay Thanks guys! I have a meeting with FAS in Raheen on Thursday for the Adobe course. Just killing time at the moment until I start full time college and keep the SW boys happy lol. I did give the thumbs down for 'Game Design' as it seems like a boot camp type course for the amount you have to do even at a level 6 but like I said I am not worried because I be doing the advance multimedia which is nearly the same course just more evenly spread out over a year!

To be honest it is very hard nowadays to get back on your feet! The biggest problem for me is finding any kind of work in Limerick and without transport I am very much limited. But I guess like everyone else in the same boat at the moment!

especially that you can get SQL cert out of it

I have seen or heard any training centres running this at the moment!

they didn't advertise it in last few months, but I got a phonecall from FAS somewhere in October/November that they were going to run it, had to refuse as was already doing something

No worries!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

there's php courses going ahead in fas galway & sligo....they might be doing one in limerick starting april if they get enough applicants

fryup wrote: »
    there's php courses going ahead in fas galway & sligo....they might be doing one in limerick starting april if they get enough applicants

Okay! Thanks I will keep an eye out, I am sure it will come around again. In the meantime I probably will do the Adobe course for the craic even if it is dragged out a bit after all anything is better than sitting around and doing nothing at home! Been unemployed nearly 4yrs done 30 courses and still no work!:(

But hey **** happens lol Mind you the way things are going I'd reckon I will end up getting turned down for work anyway as I would be deemed to be classed as over qualified lol Typical:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

artvaark wrote: »
    As a seasoned web designer I would recommend anyone to stay away from Dreamweaver. I used it in the past, but the longer you work with a WYSIWYG editor, the longer it keeps you from fully understanding html and css. Why not learn yourself with the help of many good sources on the internet and start coding from scratch?

Who says OP plans on using the WYSIWYG editor? The last time that editor was useful was almost a decade ago when table-based design was popular, yet some people, like yourself, to this day seem unable to disassociate it from Dreamweaver. There are a hundred and one good reasons to use Dreamweaver today, none related to the WYSIWYG editor.

I use DW and Visual Studio five days a week and I can't remember the last time I used a WYSIWYG editor with either for anything other than selecting/dragging/dropping code blocks.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Having done the course in question a number of years back DW's WYSIWYG editor was an integral part of it. I'm glad I had this easy introduction to HTML and CSS but I'm also glad that I've switched to a lighter editor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 halfmoon

Where's a good place to start coding from scratch? Which sites? I knOw u tube and all but anywhere else?

Advertisement