Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120hz monitors?

Options
  • 22-03-2012 4:22pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Im seeing a lot of 120Hz monitirs on the various PC component sites and it got me wondering of the benefits if any?
    I thought gaming was limited to 60 hz?
    Im running a 100hz TV with my PC but the 100hz option is greyed out,im connected via a HDMI cable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

60hz 60fps, 120hz - 120fps cap. That a very rough explanation.

If your pc can supply you with 60++ fps in your games, then there is a difference m8. Then ofc 120hz are for 3d gaming too.

When it comes to monitors just saying that it's good, because it's 120hz is wrong. Monitors have some many aspects in them these days, it's very hard to tell what is good or bad. Usually you need to look in to particular models of monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Check you card maker for compatibility, I have a shiny 460hz projector and my graphics card refuses to recognise it as anything other than a standard plug and plug HD monitor. I have to wait for it to become supported before I can turn on that feature.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have an ATI 6950 HD, is there a particular cable i should be using to connect to the TV that will give me the 100hz?
    Ive been using HDMI up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

60hz is the most frames that a standard tn or ips monitor can display per second.
    120hz monitors can literally display twice as many frames per second. If you want (kind of) half the delay between updates on your image, then go 120hz. Should be used with vsync too to stop screen tearing.

your tv will be displaying sudo 100hz, its effectively just upscaling 50hz by adding it's own frames in. it's why things look weirdly smooth and unnatural. So I think you wont be able to use your tv as a 100hz monitor. :[

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

FWIW, im new to this so dont know too much about it, but people can successfully OC their monitors to display more than 60hz. if its any way decent, its going to have fairly good components inside, and could reach around 100hz. might be better off doing that instead of splashing out extra for a spanky new 120hz monitor. you're also going to need a GPU that can facilitate 120fps (@1080p), and not much can do that at the moment. my 6990 @ 1080p only manages upto ~100fps on Multiplayer maps. you could get another 6950 for the price of a 120hz screen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement