Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about the TV Licence fine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Can't comment on whether or not you need a licence for the equipment you have but my own personal experience of these people are that they can be prats :rolleyes:

Inspector knocked the door saying we didn't have a licence, Sure we do i say so i go and get it only to find out it actually ran out that day. We laughed and i thanked him for reminding me as i'd never have realised and didn't get a reminder (but we'll leave the wonderful an post for another time). He gives me a slip of paper to say he's called. The following day i went and bought one so end of story so i thought.

A few weeks later i get a letter saying i'm being prosecuted, i was so mad i wanted my day in court. The solicitor presented both licences to the judge who promptly threw the case out and gave the inspector a ticking off for wasting court time and money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

piperh wrote: »
    A few weeks later i get a letter saying i'm being prosecuted, i was so mad i wanted my day in court. The solicitor presented both licences to the judge who promptly threw the case out and gave the inspector a ticking off for wasting court time and money :D

Why did you bring a solicitor? If you'd just handed the judge the two licences and he'd have done the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Del2005 wrote: »
    Why did you bring a solicitor? If you'd just handed the judge the two licences and he'd have done the same thing.

Never having been in court i didn't know the procedure and thought court = solicitor. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is no obligation to use a solicitor at all, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Thoree

A probable end to this - I received a registered letter yesterday from the local records office, it contained a part filled out declaration form that I needed to complete and send back asap. So I'm hoping that other than a quick spot check sometime in the next couple of months I won't be hearing from these guys again for a while! Again thanks to all who contributed, I would have ended up paying the damn thing had it not been for this thread, money much better spent on paying the ESB bill! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thoree, great to hear that they've backed down and appear to believe you now, thanks for updating us all its nice to hear a good news story once in awhile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

_posted this on another thread too but maybe someone can give me an answer here add its more recent_
    Got a call at the door from the TV licence inspector half an hour ago. Told him I have a licence (still have one for my old address). He asked me to change it over. I said no thanks, I don't intend to re_register. No hard feelings etc. he was a very rude sod. He didn't get my name. And he put a letter in the door stating 'our TV licence inspector could get attention blah blah blah'. He told me I'd be receiving correspondence from them But sure if they don't know who I am. What can they do?

Prosecute you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

cursai wrote: »
    I said no thanks, I don't intend to re_register.

Did you explain WHY you didn't intend to re-register? Thjere are many reasons, some legit, some wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

_posted this on another thread too but maybe someone can give me an answer here add its more recent_
    Got a call at the door from the TV licence inspector half an hour ago. Told him I have a licence (still have one for my old address). He asked me to change it over. I said no thanks, I don't intend to re_register. No hard feelings etc. he was a very rude sod. He didn't get my name. And he put a letter in the door stating 'our TV licence inspector could get attention blah blah blah'. He told me I'd be receiving correspondence from them But sure if they don't know who I am. What can they do?
    Nothing, as long as they don't find out your name from a variety of sources.

Some of these sources include:
    Electoral Register
    PRTB
    An Post (Postman or An Post Mail Forwarding Dept)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

A TV licence covers a premises, not a person. When you change address you have to update your details so that it coverc the new premises instead of the old one. It's a simple process that can be done online. The numbers required should be in the correspondence you've received regarding the TV licence.

Obviously if it goes to court I don't know how a judge will see things, but the fact that they've informed you already isn't going to go in your favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

You are open to prosecution because unless the address on the licence is the where the TV set is you don't have a valid licence.

Sounds like you may have been the rude one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

This thread reminds me of my grand uncle's case. He never had a TV in his life and TV inspector called. He told them he hadn't a TV, never owned one nor even knew how to operate one but the inspector was having none of it. Got my 92 year old grand uncle summonsed to court in his wheel chair to sit there and explain what he already done on his doorstep. It was absolutely shocking and the judge was lest than impressed with licence inspector and his carry on.

dilallio wrote: »

Electoral Register
    PRTB
    Dumpster diving is a great source of info for Columbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Electoral Register
    PRTB
    Ever hear of the DPA? Data Protection?

They cant get your info from non publicly available sources.

How can they do anything if they dont know who i am. Whats their next course.
    I know a bit about summonses and warrants but they need the occupiers name.
    I cant see how they can get it unless they get it through An Post but only if the TV LICENSING work within the same department otherwise they cant share info as far as i know.
    Unless he does it on the sly and just gets the info from a buddy in the post office. ive only had one letter sent here so far and wont have any more. :rolleyes:

I fully intend to change the address but im very curious as to how they're operating and gathering info. Given that the info they have is very limited. gonna let this stretch until my other licence expires and see how it goes.
    Ive got a feeling my buddy 'The Occupier' is going to be getting some mail.

Prosecute you.

Silly answer. C'mon now.

I hope you shred all your rubbish containing your name. ;)

BrianD wrote: »
    You are open to prosecution because unless the address on the licence is the where the TV set is you don't have a valid licence.

Sounds like you may have been the rude one.

NO i was very courteous. Its his JOB not his personal interest. I think a lot of people are missing the point. HOW IS HE GOING TO KNOW WHO I AM. They cant prosecute a face.

I hope you shred all your rubbish containing your name. ;)

oh dont worry im very conscious. Just natural habit though in case bin bags burst or whatever. I think thats a bit silly though. Hes not going to go rooting through bins.

• Advertisement

They do root through bins, they are very sly. As they say the mountie always gets their man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

They do root through bins, they are very sly. As they say the mountie always gets their man.
    One of them climbed over my uncles 6 foot gate and stood on a pipe to look in the kitchen window. I would believe that they have binhoked details before now.

Seriously! i have a wheelie bin that goes out in the evening and is picked up by a truck and dumped with the rest.
    So i'm possibly going to expect some lad rooting through my wheelie bin at the front of my house. Thats as realistic as saying they have scanners for picking up frequencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Ever hear of the DPA? Data Protection?

They cant get your info from non publicly available sources.

You would certainly think so.
    I created another thread about this about 14 mts ago.

I moved house 18 months ago and set up mail forwarding with An Post to forward mail to my new address.

When I filled out the form I ticked both boxes to indicate that I did not want them to share my information either externally or internally.

2 weeks afterwards, I received a letter from the TV Licence inspector, and after my name on the letter, there was a number which turned out to be my unique mail forwarding reference no from An Post. Despite me ticking the boxes, they still forwarded my personal information from one dept to another.

I complained to the Data Protection Commisioner who agreed that An Post's mail redirection dept. should not have used my personal information in this manner. They told me that they would write to An Post asking them not to do this in the future. That's the last I heard about it.

Also, by default, the electoral register is open for anyone (including An Post) to use the information (name and address). When registering to vote, there is another option where you can ask for your information not to be used for anything other than elections, but you specifically have to ask for this when you register.

There was also another thread a while back where a number of posters received letters from the TV licence folks a couple of weeks after they received letters from the PRTB confirming the registration of their tenancy. From memory though, it wasn't proven that the PRTB passed any info along.

dilallio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

HOW IS HE GOING TO KNOW WHO I AM. They cant prosecute a face.

If that was the case surely anyone who is in court would just clam up and say nothing and get away with it.

columbo.jpg
    That is their role model. They look up to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Thoree

Ah, but in fairness everyone should look up to Columbo, that's one cool guy right there.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The Electoral register can be used for statutory purposes which I'm presuming that the TV licence has. An Post also runs the national address database and while it's hard to find the low down on the use of this database, I would presume that there would be statutory access to it as well. If you changes address, this database would have been updated with your new details.

There is also a parallel TV licence database. One presumes that once there's been a TV licence at an address and it has not be renewed or the previous occupant changes the address of the licence that they will come around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

There was also another thread a while back where a number of posters received letters from the TV licence folks a couple of weeks after they received letters from the PRTB confirming the registration of their tenancy. From memory though, it wasn't proven that the PRTB passed any info along.

dilallio

The PRTB has a database of registered addresses available online here.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The PRTB has a database of registered addresses available online here.
    All public domain stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement