Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migranes and constructive dismissal..

Options
  • 22-03-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Trying to get a bit of info here, would really appreciate any advice.

Story: the building I work in is about to be knocked and we are to be relocated. The 'new' premises is an old building where there is to be some minor alterations. There is one room, about 5metres by 5metres where myself and colleagues will conduct play therapy meetings etc. This room, has underfloor heating, plus heating grids inside the walls (I know, but bear with me). The heat in the room WAS UNBEARABLE when we visited it a few weeks ago on a wet day, but we were advised that the heat would be turned off in the summer and on in the Winter. Both myself and two of my colleaguse had headaches from being in the room about ten minutes (there are two windows, about 3ft each in height and a foot wide..teeny).

My colleague has a well documented medical history of migranes, and severe ones at that. She's worked for the company 15 years. She's dehibilitated for a number of days and cannot care for her kids etc when it happens so relies on a support network of friends and her husband. She has visited the Health dept in work a number of times and it's been noted that triggers include certain lights, extreme heat or cold etc. I suffer also, but a lot less, but heat especially stuffy heat will trigger them.

We have been advised that there will be no work done to remove the heating and basically that we wil have to 'get on with it'. We would each be using the room up to 6-10 times a week each, an hour at a time, sitting on the floor for a lot of work (underfloor heating).

She is refusing to put her health at risk by using the room (trust me, you have to experience the room to really understand, so take my word!). If work know her triggers, yet do nothing to alter her conditions (or mine) has she any leg to stand on? She is considering leaving as it currently feels like she's up against a brick wall (and a bloody hot one at that). The top dogs are not in a any way prepared to even cast us a glance.

Suggestons on how to manage this one? Someone mentinoned constructive dismissal...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Your friend has my total sympathy. I too suffer from debilitating migraines. If they're really bad, I can be out of action for anything up to a week.

Is there any way you can get a letter from your doctor confirming the migraines? You would then be in a stronger position to negotiate with your employer to improve the working conditions.

I would also take advice from either Citizens Information or even better from an employment solicitor.

HTH!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

OP, I'm sorry to hear about your problems.

I would suggest that you contact the Health and Safety Authority. There is a number of rules that apply here. This includes a maximum allowable working temperature in each room, as well as health and safety reports that need to be undertaken.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Thanks ye two.

She has every documemt and letter from her GP and Consultants that she could possibly get. We've contacted HR and just checked that they have all the copies, going back years, whch they do and she has a paper trail of emails etc. They are literally shrugging their shoulders and saying 'well it won't be as hot in the winter'. Complete disregard.

Would it be out of line for me to ask the mods to delete this thead later today or whenever, now that I have got some info? I have made this anonymus but you know yourself how things are!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

While they won't remove the heating, is it possible to have a conversation about installing a thermostat or an air conditioner for that room?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

As far as i know there only a minimum working tepm, no max. We called about a stckroom that was 32 degrees all year round with no ventilation. They were helpful but there is no set rules broken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement