Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clamped bike

• 22-03-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭

Bike parked in the IFSC gets clamped. I realise there's a "No Parking" sign but still, Uncool :mad:

Clamped bike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

OOh thats not on, Surely it'd be easily removed by popping off the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ring bike recovery or mate with a van, get bike lifted into the back of the van and driven home. Remove clamp in private. Park bike back in the same spot the next day. See how many clamps they have.

KTRIC wrote: »
    OOh thats not on, Surely it'd be easily removed by popping off the wheel.

If they threaded the chain through the wheel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

What happens if those tossers knocked over your bike while trying to fit the clamp? I assume they're liable for any damage caused?

Could you send them a bill for any repair work that needed doing anyway, and claim that they caused it?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

id rather cut the wheel up and get a new one from a breakers than pay!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Damn thats cheeky.. Not a hope in hell I'd pay for that release.

I just cleaned that image up a little.

197262.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

i would be getting myself a skateboard and wheeling the thing home, it can't be that hard to get the thing off in a garage full of tools, but i do believe its criminal damage if you damage their property so i would have to be extra careful with the angle grinder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,414 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can they do that without providing any legal place to park?

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

As long as the clamp says NCPS and not Dublin City Council, the bolt cutters comes out.

ninja900 wrote: »

What NCPS can do, and what they will do, are 2 completely different things

• Advertisement

Paparazzo wrote: »
    As long as the clamp says NCPS and not Dublin City Council, the bolt cutters comes out.

DCC don't follow up on lost clamps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Clamping? No no...you misunderstand.

They simply were not impressed with the measures the owner used to secure his bike. So they added the chain & anchor to ensure that nobody would steal it.

Very thoughtful to be honest.

Makes a handy disc lock reminder I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,414 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What NCPS can do, and what they will do, are 2 completely different things

Yeah, I know, but just humour me :)

Scrap the cap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Ring bike recovery or mate with a van, get bike lifted into the back of the van and driven home. Remove clamp in private. Park bike back in the same spot the next day. See how many clamps they have.

That's what I did. They never put a second one on after losing the first clamp ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

KamiKazi wrote: »
    That's what I did. They never put a second one on after losing the first clamp ;)

I remember that mate - funniest thing ever!!! LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

****in scumbags....I would also rip the wheel to shreds before I pay that release. I bet the rim was in bits after the monkey lashed that on before his "Cappucino" :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    ****in scumbags....I would also rip the wheel to shreds before I pay that release. I bet the rim was in bits after the monkey lashed that on before his "Cappucino" :mad::mad:
    What? The clamper drives a BMW!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

You really have to do this! If you could get a few mates to park up alongside you too it might illustrate your point..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Good jaysus,
    is that a motorbike specific clamp? As in, if its a car clamp can you say that undue care and attention yada yada yada.

I am not a fan (trust me: I probably hate them a little more than some of you) but was this guy taking the piss a bit? That looks like it was parked in the middle of a pedestrian area, beside a bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

On one hand, I agree it looks like the guy may have parked in a manner that could obstruct pedestrians - especially regarding the bench - but I don't know the area well enough to comment.

If it was me, there's absolutely no way I'd pay to get that removed. That doesn't look like a bike-specific clamp (if it is, I'd love to see a link with more info on it). For that reason alone I would complain to whoever put that clamp on. (I love to say I threaten them with legal action, interfering with property etc... but in reality unless there was serious damage the best I could probably muster myself is a strongly worded letter or telephone call!)

Secondly, according to Bye-Law 13 of the Dublin City Parking Bye-Laws 2011 "A motor cycle, with or without a sidecar, or a pedal cycle shall not be parked during operational hours in a ticket parking place." Okay, so that's not carte blanche to go parking in every 'no-parking' area, but it would have to be a really, really bad parking job to justify clamping in my opinion - I'm talking blocking the entry to a building or shop, blocking a hydrant or ambulance access, or obstructing those footpath guides for blind people or something like that.

But since they don't seem to have even used a proper bike clamp, it looks more like it was some tosser of a clamper who doesn't know the law and decided to punish a motorcyclist for being too cool. :cool:

ogriofa wrote: »
    I am not a fan (trust me: I probably hate them a little more than some of you) but was this guy taking the piss a bit? That looks like it was parked in the middle of a pedestrian area, beside a bench.

I wouldn't have said so. Its off the main path and out of the way.

The bike doesn't restrict pedestrians. Having said that, I probably wouldn't park so close to a seat. I'd park in the foreground in the open area in Cuddlesworth's google street view link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

psicic wrote: »
    On one hand, I agree it looks like the guy may have parked in a manner that could obstruct pedestrians - especially regarding the bench - but I don't know the area well enough to comment.

I don't think it's a bench, more some silly street furniture to keep the planners happy while they where screwing us. It could obstruct pedestrians but someone sitting on the bench would cause the same hindrance.
    psicic wrote: »
    If it was me, there's absolutely no way I'd pay to get that removed. That doesn't look like a bike-specific clamp (if it is, I'd love to see a link with more info on it). For that reason alone I would complain to whoever put that clamp on. (I love to say I threaten them with legal action, interfering with property etc... but in reality unless there was serious damage the best I could probably muster myself is a strongly worded letter or telephone call!)

Secondly, according to Bye-Law 13 of the Dublin City Parking Bye-Laws 2011 "A motor cycle, with or without a sidecar, or a pedal cycle shall not be parked during operational hours in a ticket parking place." Okay, so that's not carte blanche to go parking in every 'no-parking' area, but it would have to be a really, really bad parking job to justify clamping in my opinion - I'm talking blocking the entry to a building or shop, blocking a hydrant or ambulance access, or obstructing those footpath guides for blind people or something like that.

But since they don't seem to have even used a proper bike clamp, it looks more like it was some tosser of a clamper who doesn't know the law and decided to punish a motorcyclist for being too cool. :cool:

It's in the IFIC. That's all private land so they can do as they please, but on the same note as it's a private clamp so you can do as you please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

ninja900 wrote: »

This, ten times over!

I'd guess the argument from NCPS is that it's not their problem if there's no bike spaces. The only way they remove clamps is if you pay them to.
    Cutting them off is the only way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

There's no legislation in this country which permits private companies to clamp your vehicle whether bike or car. The local authorities can clamp you on public roadways, but private companies are not covered by that legislation.

In this particular case, the picture suggests the bike was parked in an unobtrusive manner, and did not preclude the use of the "bench" by pedestrians.

If you are clamped by the likes of NCPS you basically have to choose between paying up and trying to recover your costs in the small clains court or removing the clamp yourself which potentially leaves you open to criminal damage charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

deserved tbh

Wonder how strong their chains are? I'd head to the nearest hardware to get a bolt cutters. Easy to get in at the chain.

• Advertisement

Wonder how strong their chains are? I'd head to the nearest hardware to get a bolt cutters. Easy to get in at the chain.

With all the camera's around there you could easily be done for criminal damage. Better option is the Van. Although once you do it, you realize how easy it is to do.

Advertisement