Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clamped bike

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

ogriofa wrote: »
    Good jaysus,
    is that a motorbike specific clamp? As in, if its a car clamp can you say that undue care and attention yada yada yada.

That's exactly what I'm thinking, it's a car clamp not designed for a bike. It's cause damage, chip the paint on the wheel, might damage the disc.

They didn't stick a 'your clamped' sign on the window either so what if the biker doesn't notice the clamp? :D

NCPS though, so treat it as a scrap metal gift

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

The chains aren't hardened steel or anything, not like the metal that expensive bike chains are made from (Almax etc.). Two seconds with an angle grinder and they're gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

With all the camera's around there you could easily be done for criminal damage. Better option is the Van. Although once you do it, you realize how easy it is to do.

I heard of people getting the chain fixed.
    But could be worth getting your mate to call up and actually do the cutting, make sure he has his tax disc in a decent spot on the back of the bike and he leaves his helmet on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

where did it happen and is this a new thing there doin now ??

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Rowanvella199

Someone was telling e clampers are offered an "incentive" for claping larger amounts of cars, or in tis case bikes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,414 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The whole problem is that clamping on private property is totally unregulated. There's no law saying they have the right to clamp your bike i.e. interfering with your property, but there's seemingly no law stopping them, either. (this needs some case law, in other words someone willing and able to fight it all the way in court)

IFSC is private property even though it has what look like public footpaths and what look like public roads. The Road Traffic Acts can apply on private property (e.g. shopping centres) but the bye-laws in relation to parking don't. At least it's usually obvious in a shopping centre that you're on private property and different rules may apply. There should be clear signage on entry to these properties setting out the parking rules and there should be regulation and an appeals process for private clamping.

They can do other weird stuff in the IFSC e.g. stop you taking photographs as the pavement you are walking on is 'private property'. This is unjust. The right to photograph in a public place is a civil right. Public space has been silently privatised and there isn't even a sign to warn you that your rights have been stolen.

The situation stinks and IMHO the best and most just answer is that any place to which the public have un-gated access on foot or by vehicle should be regarded as public property unless very clearly signed otherwise, with strict regulations applying to clamping in particular.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I would go fooking nuts, what would happen if they knocked the bike over while figuring out how to fit the clamp, i work in the IFSC and i think its a joke as there are no designated places for parking never mind designated bike parking in the area, if im right i think that is a private company clampint there not the council. Thereis a pay and display are on the road that leads to the back on connolly station but as we all know if a bike was to take up a space there car drivers would go mad and complain :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

What would happen if say, the owner comes back to his bike, its late evening....he doesnt have a mobile or enough money to get the clamp removed..he gets a bus/taxi home and goes to pick up his bike the next day with his money and phone...but during the night the bike was robbed........would NCPS be partly responsible.....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

tinyjiney wrote: »
    What would happen if say, the owner comes back to his bike, its late evening....he doesnt have a mobile or enough money to get the clamp removed..he gets a bus/taxi home and goes to pick up his bike the next day with his money and phone...but during the night the bike was robbed........would NCPS be partly responsible.....:confused:

yes, and not just partly responsible imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Someone was telling e clampers are offered an "incentive" for claping larger amounts of cars, or in tis case bikes!

Probably, but at the end of the day it's a good thing, i hate people who park illegally usually holding up other people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Probably, but at the end of the day it's a good thing, i hate people who park illegally usually holding up other people

Off topic here, but cars parked illegally causing an obstruction should never be clamped as this adds more time to get the car out of the way when the owner returns. They should be lifted straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gone_fishing

looks like a man with a van job there to me, cut the chain at home and next time your parking there bring the clamp with you and put it back on with your own lock so they dont put a second one on :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As much as this incident of clamping is insane, everytime a thread on the site about clamping comes about, you get a high percentage of people encouraging cutting the clamp if its not covered by DCC.

But have any of those people who encourage it, ever done it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

faceman wrote: »
    As much as this incident of clamping is insane, everytime a thread on the site about clamping comes about, you get a high percentage of people encouraging cutting the clamp if its not covered by DCC.

But have any of those people who encourage it, ever done it?

I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I know two people who have cut clamps off their cars after being clamped by NCPS and nothing ever came of it. Both were about 1-2 years ago when I was living in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

looks like a man with a van job there to me, cut the chain at home and next time your parking there bring the clamp with you and put it back on with your own lock so they dont put a second one on :D

Yep, they clamped our work van while we were doing up a apartment. We had parked in the apartments spot with their permission and had notified the management company. Took about a minute from seeing the clamp to cutting the chain with the croppers, and dropping the clamp into the skip. They clamped us the next day. Didn't clamp us after the second one, but had a good long look at the van on the third day before leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Where in the IFSC is that I have parked there a few times not had any probs though.

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Where in the IFSC is that I have parked there a few times not had any probs though.

Just outside Lagoona and just off the little cobble road beside the luas stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Just outside Lagoona and just off the little cobble road beside the luas stop

Is there still a bike rack across the road near the ATM used to park there a fair bit.

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Is there still a bike rack across the road near the ATM used to park there a fair bit.

Yep there is, but did you ever see the state of the push bikes that do be locked there, it's like a chop shop for push bikes half of them missing wheels etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement