Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

saorview in Limerick area

• 22-03-2012 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

is anyone having any problems with their saorview channels in the Limerick area, I have no sound and all the channels except the rte news channel, which has sound, picture is excellent on every channel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

I have problem with it, picture keeps jumping and sound is out of sync. but when we contacted them about it we told them we have an indoor antenna, they said they do not recomend indoor antennas.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Havent had any reports of any problems with Saorview in Limerick, where are you based and how are you currently receiving reception, is it via a stb box or a saorview ready tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

its through a saorview ready tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

No issues with saorview for me. Didn't turn it on til nearly 8pm tho. Samsung tv, no set top box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

have some issues alright. RTE+1 (a bit of a joke of a channel anyway) has sound but no picture. RTE1 and RTE2 freeze for a second here and there too. Doesnt seem to be a signal issue as signal strength and quality are high. Using a toshiba tv.

Wouldnt be mad impressed with RTE Hd either. I think BBC's HD has a much better picture than RTE. Thought HD was HD, but if you watch rugby on RTE2 and BBC, it looks way better on BBC. Not sure why that is but there you go..

• Advertisement

vkid wrote: »
    have some issues alright. RTE+1 (a bit of a joke of a channel anyway) has sound but no picture. RTE1 and RTE2 freeze for a second here and there too. Doesnt seem to be a signal issue as signal strength and quality are high. Using a toshiba tv.

Wouldnt be mad impressed with RTE Hd either. I think BBC's HD has a much better picture than RTE. Thought HD was HD, but if you watch rugby on RTE2 and BBC, it looks way better on BBC. Not sure why that is but there you go..

Somebody can correct me on this, but - although RTE HD is broadcasting HD, unless the source material they have is HD then it comes out looking like it's not. I've been impressed when I saw HD stuff being broadcast, but then I'm easily impressed, don't watch a lot of "live" TV, mainly downloads....

Have installed 3 saorview tv's today and had to replace 2 of the cables ran to the tv, as its old brown cable some over 20yrs old which are poorly screened and never intended for Saorview Digital.

If you are having breakup's it likely a bad connection, or aerial is not set properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭abyss

In my opinion - poor aearial.
    I have MPEG-4 receiver for TV and AverMedia DVB-T USB dongle for PC. First one is working fine, but second has a problem with a signal level. As effect I have lost or broken sound, or even screen freeze and artefacts in worst situation.
    RTE News are lowest in data transfer, so usually there is no problem with it.
    On the RTE 2 with full-HD movie problem is most visible, as there is necessary to provide highest ammount of data.
    Castletroy, both are indoor antenna, Woodcock Hill partially obscured.

langdang wrote: »
    Somebody can correct me on this, but - although RTE HD is broadcasting HD, unless the source material they have is HD then it comes out looking like it's not. I've been impressed when I saw HD stuff being broadcast, but then I'm easily impressed, don't watch a lot of "live" TV, mainly downloads....

AS far as I know, the soource material for RTE 2 HD and BBC 1 HD for 6 nations games is the same. It doesnt look it though.

I replaced the cable to the TV point and the freezing has stopped a bit. I still have sound and no picture for RTE1+1 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Speaking of saorview where can i pick one up a box, need 1 for the old fella's TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

I changed the ariel and its now perfect again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The folks over in the Terrestrial forum are a great place to find out about all this stuff btw

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Speaking of saorview where can i pick one up a box, need 1 for the old fella's TV.

Future sound and vision top of william street do a few...personally I would recommend spending a little more and getting the Triax TR112 saorview approved box which is by far the best one on the market at the moment...

steveon wrote: »
    Future sound and vision top of william street do a few...personally I would recommend spending a little more and getting the Triax TR112 saorview approved box which is by far the best one on the market at the moment...

Hey steveon, I know I'm hijacking here but - indoors aerials, what are the chances of them working with saorview? I know it depends on topology etc, but say I'm in Patrickswell or somewhere, would the signal be strong enough from Woodcock hill? Have a TV with built in decoder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Hey steveon, I know I'm hijacking here but - indoors aerials, what are the chances of them working with saorview? I know it depends on topology etc, but say I'm in Patrickswell or somewhere, would the signal be strong enough from Woodcock hill? Have a TV with built in decoder.

I'm using a crappy set of 5 euro aldi rabbit ears and the reception is perfect. Tv has the built in tuner too.

I'm using a crappy set of 5 euro aldi rabbit ears and the reception is perfect. Tv has the built in tuner too.

Daycent. I've gotten so used to digital quality and the built in TV guide that I can't go back to plain old Analog in the new house.

I got an indorr aerial first and it picked up absolutely nothing, zip, nadda..

Had to get one installed after that,

the video for RTE+1 just came back last night..

Indoor aerials can work if you are in close to woodcock but I think Patrickswell would be lucky although depending on where you are in the village you mite be lucky but I would recommend getting an amplified one which will prob cost you approx €25-€40....

But I think they are an eyesore and for an extra €50euro on top of the price of an indoor amplifed aerial you could get a proper aerial professionally installed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

Same exact problem as OP. perfect picture, no sound on all except RTE News Now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

There are rabbits ears for 2 Euro in one of those discount stores on William St.

• Advertisement
Advertisement