Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing pre-packed Salmon

Options
  • 22-03-2012 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought some pre packed salmon in Dunnes a few days ago (think it was last Friday, can't remember though) and the use by date is the 10th April.

Would it be OK to split the salmon up and freeze it for a few weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Is it smoked salmon or raw fillets/cutlets? If it's the raw stuff then freeze away. I'd imagine smoked is fine to freeze too, might just end up a little 'wetter' after it defrosts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Check the packet as sometimes the fresh fish you buy in shops may have previously been frozen and defrosted. It will say "Not suitable for freezing" if that is the case.

Oh and we freeze smoked salmon all the time, no problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Hi,

I bought some pre packed salmon in Dunnes a few days ago (think it was last Friday, can't remember though) and the use by date is the 10th April.

Would it be OK to split the salmon up and freeze it for a few weeks?

I do it all the time- and I'm still here to say so!

I doubt the food police would approve, but they're trying to protect those who can't seem to protect themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Should be fine once it's frozen before the use-by date. Just remember to eat it straight away when you defrost it, because you won't be sure when it'll go off.

Advertisement