Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad 3 Overheating

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

There is a difference between overheating and running warmer than a device with 4 less cores when under load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

I'd agree theres a bit of sensationalism at play here, but how advanced can we make a tablet like an ipad though before we need air vents/fans for cooling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Using mine for a week doesn't seem hot to me :s it's a load of poppy cock if u ask me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

No issues with mine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Anytime Apple release a new product there's this mad rush by the blogs to find something catastrophically wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

So true sad professor makes you sick , considering non apple products don't get half the media spotlight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

After 4-6 hours constant gaming on multiple iPad 3's I haven't seen this warning or on my personal device either!

Anytime Apple release a new product there's this mad rush by the blogs to find something catastrophically wrong with it.

Reports of it having a weak Wifi reception.

Have to say I am noticing this on mine. Not terribly bad mind you, but noticeable. Also the charging time - wow, its crazy long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Have to say I am noticing this on mine. Not terribly bad mind you, but noticeable. Also the charging time - wow, its crazy long.

Isn't the battery almost double the size of he one in the iPad 2? If so, I guess that would explain the longer charge times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Most of the stuff can be sourced back to Gizmodo, who are persona non grata with Apple (and banned from most trade shows). So you can see the sour grapes. Some of their example stories they are currently running.

- Ipads overheat
    - iPads cannot be charged
    - Wifi doesn't work
    - Smart cover won't stay on.
    - See what happens when we drop this new iPad.
    - What happens if we shoot the iPad with lasers? Or put it in flames?
    - Apple is doing secret stuff with your dictation voice.
    - Lets see if an iPad can stop a bullet.
    - Which has better resolution? iPad, PS Vita, 3DS? (clue: it isn't the iPad despite technical specs say it is)

and many more tripe articles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This is your first iPad though. How long is it taking to charge and how are you charging it? The iPad 3 battery is 70 percent bigger, but it shouldn't take longer than 6-7 hours to charge to full, versus 4-5 hours for the iPad 2. As with previous iPads, it will charge much quicker via the wall charger and when you aren't using it. Charging via the USB cable connected to your computer will take a lot longer, if it works at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

This is your first iPad though. How long is it taking to charge and how are you charging it? The iPad 3 battery is 70 percent bigger, but it shouldn't take longer than 6-7 hours to charge to full, versus 4-5 hours for the iPad 2. As with previous iPads, it will charge much quicker via the wall charger and when you aren't using it. Charging via the USB cable connected to your computer will take a lot longer, if it works at all.

Yeah it won't charge from a pc USB, and we noticed that charging it with an iPhone plug will cause it to drain quicker then it can charge while using it at the same time :P

A mac mini would charge an iPad 2 but I haven't tried it with a 3, I'm guessing it's not gonna work...

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Isn't the battery almost double the size of he one in the iPad 2? If so, I guess that would explain the longer charge times.

70% bigger.
    This is your first iPad though.
    I used a borrowed ipad1 for a while.
    How long is it taking to charge and how are you charging it? The iPad 3 battery is 70 percent bigger, but it shouldn't take longer than 6-7 hours to charge to full, versus 4-5 hours for the iPad 2. As with previous iPads, it will charge much quicker via the wall charger and when you aren't using it. Charging via the USB cable connected to your computer will take a lot longer, if it works at all.

It does charge on the USB cable but slowly - I went out for a bit yesterday leaving it on the usb and off with the MBP asleep and plugged in and it charged to about 50% in 4 hours. I did the rest of the charge overnight from the wall after using it again for a bit - not sure how long that took for obvious reasons.

I dunno it just seems like a long charge time to me - longer than any other device I have. Bascially if you run out it needs an overnight charge. Not really a problem for me at the moment but I could see that being a pain in the ass if travelling for example.

With regard to the wifi there are spots in my gaf that i know have weaker exception and the speeds will be slower if you get a signal. I have noticed on the ipad I'm less likely to get a signal than with my MBP or HTC Desire (or the ipad1 I had for a bit come to think of it).
    To be honest it isn't really a problem for me - I mean its not so significant effect I would be complaining. But its noticeable.
    I noticed this first, then read about reports of the same so I'm inclined to think its real - but wonder if its much of a big deal.

Hobbes - I agree everytime apple bring out a new product there is group of people who will attack it, but equally there is an army of fanboys who will defend apple even when there stuff does have a flaw.

Oh but let me restate this - I definitely 100% don't get an excessive heat problem even when running infinity blade :D In fact I can barely notice any warm spot

This is my 3rd iPad, no overheating issues at all.
    Yes it gets warm in a small section of the left side as you hold it with the home button on the right, but not overheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Just because something is warmer than the older model does not mean it is overheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

RVP 11 wrote: »
    This is my 3rd iPad, no overheating issues at all.
    Yes it gets warm in a small section of the left side as you hold it with the home button on the right, but not overheating.

As Steve Jobs would say "Don't Hold it That Way";)

According to The Verge, it runs 12 degrees warmer than the previous iPad. John Gruber did the math and said this is equivalent to a 1.8 percent temperature increase. CNet have also rubbished all this "Omigod it burned me" sensationalist crap. The blogs are already starting to look for the next whatever-gate controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Got the new iPad today but haven't noticed any heat issues yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

According to The Verge, it runs 12 degrees warmer than the previous iPad. John Gruber did the math and said this is equivalent to a 1.8 percent temperature increase. CNet have also rubbished all this "Omigod it burned me" sensationalist crap. The blogs are already starting to look for the next whatever-gate controversy.

Don't know John Gruber or his maths skills but according to mine, if 12 degrees is a 1.8% increase , then the old iPad runs at 667 degrees. I think not.

• Advertisement

For those with recharge issues, have you tried using the cable that you got with the new iPad instead of the older cables? As I charged mine with no noticeable charge time increase.

I got mine to go warm by opening loads of apps to demo. Mainly intensive apps anyway like iPhoto, and GarageBand, iMovie, infinity blade.

By the way this post and the previous post I typed in using dictation on the iPad. It's pretty cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I can what the coolest ipad 3 accesory will be...an iCe cube :)

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Don't know John Gruber or his maths skills but according to mine, if 12 degrees is a 1.8% increase , then the old iPad runs at 667 degrees. I think not.

12 degrees Fahrenheit. But his whole point is that Fahrenheit and Celsius are relative so they can't be converted into a percentage increase.

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2012/03/20/comparing-temperatures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Using mine here for last hour or so and no heat off it whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Hobbes wrote: »
    For those with recharge issues, have you tried using the cable that you got with the new iPad instead of the older cables? As I charged mine with no noticeable charge time increase.

I wonder if those folks reporting slow charging were using their iPhone chargers? They definitely charge slower as they have a lower wattage. Only time will tell as I only charged twice so far and need to condition battery for a few cycles before I know for sure.

12 degrees Fahrenheit. But his whole point is that Fahrenheit and Celsius are relative so they can't be converted into a percentage increase.

Actually you're misquoting him. It's 18%, not 1.8%.

Bigcheeze wrote: »

Actually you're misquoting him. It's 18%, not 1.8%.
    No, it's 1.8. You didn't read it all.

No, it's 1.8. You didn't read it all.

True, it was pretty dull :)

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote: »
    ADSLUSER wrote: »
    I wonder if those folks reporting slow charging were using their iPhone chargers? They definitely charge slower as they have a lower wattage. Only time will tell as I only charged twice so far and need to condition battery for a few cycles before I know for sure.

I only have the cable I got with the ipad 3 owning neither iphone nor earlier ipad

Advertisement