Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing ear mites in the house/bedding

• 22-03-2012 7:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

So I'm back from the vet with my dog who has a haemotoma from scratching and shaking his head because of earmites. It's the second dog in the last 6 months to get earmites and a haemotoma from it. I keep treating all the dogs for earmites but they keep coming back. The only thing I can think of now is that they're in the house, anyone had stubborn ear mite infestation and how did you clear the environment of them?

Comments

Ear mites can be a pain in the bum especially if you have 2 dogs. As you could clear one and the other one will give it back to him/her. You really have to keep on top of things with the drops and cleaning the bedding every day. Give it a couple of weeks and you should be free. You just got to keep on top of it.

If you fully dont get it out of one dog, you have to repeat the whole process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

What did you clean the bedding with? This is a monster task for me, I have 6 dogs so 6 indoor beds plus 3 huge beds in their dog shed, complete nightmare.

I wonder if I should take out the cushion beds for a while, just put vet bed down?

Yeah you just have to wash all the sheets , nearly have new sheets every day and keep washing. 6 is alot , its going to be some task. It would help to quarentine the effected dogs for now (if possible) You might get rid of it quicker.

I've just collected up all the beds for a boil wash and discovered mould on the bottom of 2 wicker beds and on the floor underneath them and on the skirting boards behind the beds. Now I'm wondering if it's an allergy rather than ear mites. The vet couldnt see any mites yesterday and all the other dogs ears are really clean. The vet also said there must be an environmental factor, maybe mite eggs somewhere because to have 2 dogs with haemotomas in 6 months is very very usual. So have beds on a boil wash, am chucking what cant be washed, spraying surfaces for fleas/mites, and hoping for the best!

Anyone any experience with mould allergies? Do they manifest as itchy ears?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Not sure with pets but people allergies are normally ear, eyes, nose and throat so it is possible.
    Mold can be very harmful, so use some bleach in warm water to kill off mold, leave to dry and then rinse off well.
    keep area well ventilated and try again in a few days.
    Washing the dog once the mould is gone may help too.
    Good luck, don't envy you this with 6 dogs to mind!

• Advertisement

On load 3 of boil washing the beds, house is sprayed with mould and mildew remover, wicker beds have been scrubbed and sprayed, loads non-washable bedding chucked just in case. All woodwork in the house near their beds and their shed sprayed.

Still have the 2 fish tanks to waterchange, rabbit cage to clean out, and sheep change straw for. (why do I have so many animals????) Just cant face washing 6 dogs tonight too!!!!

That can be a job for the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Slightly off topic but... For killing mould (especially damp, which it most likely is) mixing bicarbonate of soda (aka. bread soda, baking soda) mixed into a spray bottle with warm water (can also use cold) and bleach is the best thing I've found, and unfortunately I've had a lot of experience!! That and lots of airing!

Thanks for that evilmonkee.

Advertisement