Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wanted monkey puzzle tree

Options
  • 22-03-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi all

wondering if someone can help me here, ive been looking for a mature moneky puzzle tree for my garden, would ideally like it approx 6 foot or more .
    can anybody suggest place that sells mature trees, or even better given one away for me to adopt!!!! : )

vonnie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Theprogardener

I will contact our suppliers, all I can say is Araucaria araucana are usually expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nursejobsharer

thanks a million sure hopefully i can get one at an affordable price! ;)
    fingers crossed!!
    vonnie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Kinbark Nurseries http://www.kinbark.ie/?page_id=22 near Enniscorthy have a huge range of semi-mature trees

thanks for that website, i rang ... they have every other tree under the sun bar my monkey puzzle :(... i may keep on my search.

vonnie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

hi all

wondering if someone can help me here, ive been looking for a mature moneky puzzle tree for my garden, would ideally like it approx 6 foot or more .
    can anybody suggest place that sells mature trees, or even better given one away for me to adopt!!!! : )

vonnie

Errr mature ones can grow to 70ft and 30ft wide if given enough time
    They can also "spread" in a very weird way and pruning ruins the look of them.
    (They can look quite ugly!)
    they can also grow at a rate of a foot a year and really suited to large gardens

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/57591-monkey-puzzle-tree-advice-needed.html

• Advertisement

thanks for reply.... ive a big enough garden for it... hence why i want one thats matured , didnt know they cud grow that wide tho :eek:
    still want!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    be great if i cud source one cheap enough .... i havent got actual quoteyet but was told they can b expensive? :confused:

vonnie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well they often seem to only spread sideways after they get beyond roof height :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Anonany

If you're still looking for a Monkey Puzzle tree, I have one -- about 46 inches high -- in need of a good home.

It's one I rescued some 4-5 year's ago, potted up and then completely forgot about ! Despite the (mis)treatment, it's managed to maintain a more-or-less straight leader and is growing vigorously. I'm sure it's pot-bound, but it looks so healthy that I've no doubt it will romp away once it gets its feet into the ground.

Just a warning ... it's wickedly aggressive ! The scales may look innocuous, but they pack one hell of a prickly punch when touched. That's the reason it was rescued it in the first place; my son and daughter-in-law -- having inherited it with their new garden -- took one look at it and declared it wasn't safe around their children !

If you have the room and can cope with its aggression, I'm in North County Wicklow and would be delighted to pass it on.

Regards, Anonany

Edited to add that if nursejobsharer isn't interested, I'ld be happy to pass it on to anyone else who has sufficient room in their garden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the nuts from the tree are edible, too. but i don't think you'd get any for a few years yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I've been following this thread as I would really love to get one for my back garden too. Hopefully someone will come up with somewhere to get them!:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

there were a few in the orchard garden centre last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

the nuts from the tree are edible, too. but i don't think you'd get any for a few years yet.
    About thirty years, according to Hugh Funnily-Wossisname.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

kylith wrote: »
    About thirty years, according to Hugh Funnily-Wossisname.

Didn't he also say that you only get nuts if you have a male and female tree together which also takes about 30-40 years to know which is which

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Didn't he also say that you only get nuts if you have a male and female tree together which also takes about 30-40 years to know which is which
    I think so. He definitely said that there was no way to tell them apart when they're young.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Anonany

Just want to mention, nursejobsharer, that I've received a request from someone else for the Monkey Puzzle tree.

I don't want to rush you, but could you let me know by next Friday whether you are interested in taking the tree ?

Regards, Anonany

• Registered Users Posts: 7 stonecarver

hey everyone,
    I am new to this forum but my search for a monkey puzzle tree has led me here. I am also looking for a decent sized monkey puzzle tree to plant. Any advise will be appreciated. I have tracked down monkey puzzle trees in a garden centre in farranfore county kerry, but these are only 12 inches tall for €15. I would much prefer a larger specimen. any further advise would be greatly welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Coll1e

I know Flannerys nursery in Kildare has them but dont know what size. I'd also check with Rentes and Flip Schram in Moyvalley. If they dont have any in stock they can order them from Italy as most of the wholesalers bring in Italian stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 stonecarver

Thanks for reply Coll1e. Still no luck however, the nurseries are out of my price range. Is there anybody out there who has one planted that might want it moved, or would sell for a reasonable price? fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Username15

Hi just wondering if you ever got that monkey puzzle you were looking for? I have one here that is 40 foot in height, it has a very straight trunk and is very healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Treeservice

Hi is the tree still available?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's 40 foot tall. i suspect that would be hard to move...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Treeservice

I have access to an array of machinery if I was to try and relocate it. Or I might fell it and process it into usable timber. If its still available and the current owner is agreeable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Greenway2020

if you get one, i think they prefer to be planted up on a small mound also to help with drainage.

Anonany wrote: »
    If you're still looking for a Monkey Puzzle tree, I have one -- about 46 inches high -- in need of a good home.

It's one I rescued some 4-5 year's ago, potted up and then completely forgot about ! Despite the (mis)treatment, it's managed to maintain a more-or-less straight leader and is growing vigorously. I'm sure it's pot-bound, but it looks so healthy that I've no doubt it will romp away once it gets its feet into the ground.

Just a warning ... it's wickedly aggressive ! The scales may look innocuous, but they pack one hell of a prickly punch when touched. That's the reason it was rescued it in the first place; my son and daughter-in-law -- having inherited it with their new garden -- took one look at it and declared it wasn't safe around their children !

If you have the room and can cope with its aggression, I'm in North County Wicklow and would be delighted to pass it on.

Regards, Anonany

Edited to add that if nursejobsharer isn't interested, I'ld be happy to pass it on to anyone else who has sufficient room in their garden.

Omg i actually cant believe i got an offer for a monkey tree and never seen it??? Do you still have??? 😨 5 years on and im still looking. I cant believe u had one that was looking for a forever home ...please say u still have it!! Please??

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

A mature tress are 40 years old and the nut are delicious but only get from the female and you alcant tell until it's is fully grown .😞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Omg i actually cant believe i got an offer for a monkey tree and never seen it??? Do you still have??? 😨 5 years on and im still looking. I cant believe u had one that was looking for a forever home ...please say u still have it!! Please??

Try and send them a PM (personal message). They should get a notification if they are still a Boards user. Otherwise it could be about 4 years before they see this message!

Try and send them a PM (personal message). They should get a notification if they are still a Boards user. Otherwise it could be about 4 years before they see this message!

I did... no joy! But mayb they will eventually.. like me lolz.. still cant believe it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Are you looking to buy one?

One of my local Garden Centres has them for about €45.
    They deliver too. Not sure about the size though. But 5 years goes by so quick that it'd be huge before you'd know it!

http://clarenbridgegardencentre.ie/online-garden-shop/plants-for-containers/araucaria-araucana-monkey-puzzle-tree/

Great... i rang them ... inly 1ft ones in stock ..but are keeping eye out for me.

• Advertisement

nowt wrong with that really. they'll probably put on a foot per year, and you'll pay for the older specimens - which may take longer to establish.

Advertisement