Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Lego Town

• 22-03-2012 7:26pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought some people may find this of some interest,

I started collecting Lego when I was 5, got the Lego police station when I was 5 years of age for my birthday and it grew from there....

I went on to build an entire town which i was lucky enough to have a room to have it all planned out in, later in moved to a large attic space we had when I got older and lost interest in lego.

It stayed in the attic space for almost a decade and when my parents sold their house it went into storage. For 10 years its been in storage until I got told enough was enough by my cousin and I had to move it as it was taken up attic space in their house :)

I had been planning on moving it into my own attic since I now have my own house but just never got around to it until October, just noticed I took some photos of it just now and thought I'd share :D

Some of it needs a good clean at this stage....

My first lego building..the old police station
    IMG_7218.jpg

Few of the buildings from the town
    IMG_7217.jpg

Welcome to Lego town.....
    IMG_7222.jpg

Bigger view of the town with its port
    IMG_7229.jpg

The crane
    IMG_7238.jpg

I never did get enough roads to finish it, but here's a very rough list of what is in the pictures
    - An entire county council fleet incl street cleaner, diggers etc
    - Port with assorted boats (remember spending maybe 5hrs on Christmas day building this when I got it)
    - Full airport
    - Spaceshuttle
    - Police Station
    - Post Office
    - Racetrack (also is the main road)..thank you Weetabix for the racetrack
    - Houses
    - Restaurant
    - Firestation
    - Hospital
    - Police station (also one in the port too)
    - Petrol station

Think thats it anyway..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Awesome :) I think just about everybody goes through that instance where you have to clear out childhood stuff, some of which is invariably Lego, and you just become a kid again.

If you're interested in identifying the exact sets, look them up on www.brickset.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

I've a 9 year old amassing a collection to rival that! He loves your photos!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Wow Cabaal - that looks great!:)

And it helps the memories flood right back of my own Lego town when I was a kid back in the 80s. I recognise a couple of pieces that I had myself - the 1985 edition Airport, the hospital and some of the vehicles. Your police station was the version that came out, I think, after the one I had. Most of those pieces look like they're from the late 80s when I had finally grown out of my town.

My entire bedroom floor not taken up by my bed and an extremely narrow path that my poor Mum had to take to negotiate to put clothes in my press was comprised of my lego town. I also had the road plates - the older edition ones that didn't have the cycle paths/hard shoulders.

I must scan in and post up some pics that my Mum and Dad took of my lego town from c.1985 or thereabouts.:pac:

I must admit to being a "closet" collector of a couple of Lego items - I heard that it's become sort of okay for a grown man these days to have Lego!:D Sort of like train sets and model airplanes for guys of my Dad's generation.

I'm 36 now and have given most of my old Lego away to the son of a friend and some to my 10 year old nephew - who sadly isn't really into Lego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭scwazrh

That's a brilliant set up. Like you I'm an 80's baby and was mad about Lego.i got a small snooker table one year for Xmas and just used it to build my Lego town on :)

Anyway it all ended in the attic of my mam's house waiting for the day I could hand it over to my kids.I brought out the Lego for my daughter but as we all know , Lego is not for girls!! :eek: so back it went to the attic waiting for my first born son!

I can happily say that after buying My son a few sets over the last few months he has finally got the Lego building bug and I have been able to give him all my old sets.We spent all day last, Sunday building and I can feel another weekend of Lego building coming up!!

It's amazing how the stress of work , bills and everything else a mid 30s family guy worries about can disappear when you pull out your first Lego set again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I remember some of those sets.

Also: OCTAN!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Omg memories.........we had nearly all those sets,would you be able to get them on ebay or somewhere?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JupiterKid wrote: »
    the 1985 edition Airport,

Funny thing about the airport, when i got it for Christmas it was missing a high amount of parts as well as instructions.

I used to use all the airport parts to make random stuff like spaceships for years and it wasn't until maybe 2-3 years later I managed to get enough parts to finish it, the building is around 98% correct to any picture I've seen of it :)
    I must admit to being a "closet" collector of a couple of Lego items - I heard that it's become sort of okay for a grown man these days to have Lego!:D Sort of like train sets and model airplanes for guys of my Dad's generation.

I'm 36 now and have given most of my old Lego away to the son of a friend and some to my 10 year old nephew - who sadly isn't really into Lego.

Well, my wife thinks I'm kinda silly for still having all my lego but its not like its taking up a bedroom in the house :)

At this stage it seems an awful awful shame to get rid of it so I'll keep it for kids or something....course I won't want them to ruin it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

Cabaal's metion of lego reminds me of a trip a few of us made to an athletics event in Aarhus in Denmark some years ago.It made economical sense to fly to an airport called Bilund and then a train journey to Aarhus.On our return to Bilund we had time in hand to walk the couple of Km's on a blistering hot day to Legoland theme park which is sight to see for adults never mind the younger people.BTW Cabaal are you involved in running yourself as the username rings a bell with me

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭zzap64

Cabaal wrote: »
    At this stage it seems an awful awful shame to get rid of it so I'll keep it for kids or something....course I won't want them to ruin it :P

That was my plan when I got my Lego out of my parents attic near 3 years ago for my new born son to play with a bit down the line, but while sorting it all out, I started to rebuild some of my old sets through instructions on http://www.peeron.com/ and then started adding to it and there's little chance I'll hand it on now. :-D

He is 2 and a half now and loves Lego and I do let him play with "mine" but I tend to get rather upset when he breaks it up, but he is learning and doing very well for a 2 year old anyway. He loves pimping up little cars I make.

It's great to see him following in my love of Lego footsteps and he's been playing with it for about a year now. I originally thought I'd be waiting until he was 6 or so to play Lego with him. :)

Advertisement