Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chicken & rice meal for dog

• 22-03-2012 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

as you might have read from my other thread, my 6 and a half month old lab is sick. our vet instructed me to feed her chicken and rice for a couple of days, until she feels better. she has done her 24 hours of not eating.

i bought a package of 5 chicken legs from the butcher today. i put them all in the freezer, bar one, which i boiled today. i took all the skin and fat off and all bones out, just leaving the chicken meat.

1. is 1 chicken breast enough for her for the day?
    2. my girl does not like rice .. is there any way of getting her to eat it? (she will pick out other food around it)

also, one last and important thing -
    she does not drink much water, is there a way i can entice her to drink more fluids?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

When I'm doing chicken and rice for a sick dog. I go into Tesco and get the value or near the sell by date cuts as they are cheaper. Then I boil the chicken. I remove all bones from the chicken once boiled and then I boil the rice in the left over water from the chicken. For the last couple of minutes I add the cooked chicken to the rice in the pot so it is all cooking together.

This I find makes the rice very palatable for the dog and even fairly sick dogs have relished it. I freeze some of it into portion sizes for further use.

I reckon you would need more than one leg for the size of your dog. I would use several. I wouldnt however give too much to the dog at any one time especially as she has been unwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

cheers for that. i gave her half a chicken breast this afternoon with a small bit of rice. i wanted to give her multiple small meals, until she is better. i've given her another bit of chicken and rice there about half an hour ago - she ate all chicken, but left the rice. she is starving (she keeps whinging and going over to her bowl in the kitchen.. but still won't eat the rice out of it) so i felt that one breast is not really enough, seeing as she's ate a breast since 3.30 and is still starving! need her to eat the rice as well..

i'll try cooking the rice in the chicken water next time, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

She is clever enough looking for more chicken:D After you cook it all together you can even stick it in a mixer to mix up the rice and chicken to encourage her to eat it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could try some mashed potato instead of rice if she still won't take it after it's cooked in the stock ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

thanks for that idea :)

how will i get her to drink water? some american sites mentioned gatorade.. but i dunno about giving a dog an isotonic drink?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My guy was sick with a bug last year and was the same. I put a drop of marmite in his water and he lapped it up! :D It was the best thing ever seeing him drink - the vet had said they'd take him in the next day for IV fluids if he didn't improve. I had tried dioralyte but he couldn't keep it down.

You could try adding the water to his food to get the fluids into her - it'll be mushy but she won't mind! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Wizard01

My wee one had the same problems, I posted up a thread about it, seems she has an allergy to grains in the dog food.
    I am currently feeding her raw chicken, mashed potato and veg. I sometimes add in on different days raw eggs, sunflower oil and a tin of tuna.
    Diarrhea has stopped and she is happy again, plus no vet bills this week (hopefully) and less cleaning up after her ;)

I got her a turkey drumstick in Tesco last week and it kept her busy for ages!

I'm going to add in mince and other meat next week to vary her diet for her, but she loves her food now and it is cheaper than the expensive grain free dog foods I was looking at ;)

Advertisement