Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing From AMD To Intel

Options
  • 22-03-2012 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

I think it's time for a change with my PC.

I currently have

Athlon II 435
    MSI 770-C45
    4gb DDR3
    OCZ 650 watt
    Asus Xonar DG 5.1

I had an XFX 6770 1gb in this set up too but it was faulty so i got a refund.

I'm definitely gonna be going Intel this time.

What's an i3 2120 like for everyday use? i like the price and it would be a fairly big improvement over what i have now. I was also looking at an i5 2500k, which is a good bit more expensive but can go a whole lot faster. But with the money i would save getting an i3, i could always buy a better GPU (and maybe get an i5 further down the road)

Here's what i was looking at anyway

Intel Core i3-2120 3.30GHz LGA1155 3MB

or

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz LGA1155 6MB

Mobo - Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 DDR3 ATX USB 3.0

I'll add a 6870 to this a couple of weeks after doing the upgrade.

Would i need any more than 4gb of ram? which CPU would suit my needs better? the pc is mainly used for Ableton/FL Studio/Photoshop, some RTS style gaming/The Sims 3 (which seems to be really CPU intensvie for some reason)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

i5-2550k is what you want. Ram is cheap so get 8gb. It really isn't that much extra money, and it will serve you well for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

srsly78 wrote: »
    i5-2550k is what you want.
    Why? There is virtually no difference between it and the 2500k, especially when there's overclocking involved, as all you're paying for is +0.1ghz which you'd get from overclocking anyway (well actually around +1.2ghz)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If he isn't overclocking and has the money the i5-2400 is the one to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

srsly78 wrote: »
    i5-2550k is what you want. Ram is cheap so get 8gb. It really isn't that much extra money, and it will serve you well for years.
    Eboggles wrote: »
    Why? There is virtually no difference between it and the 2500k, especially when there's overclocking involved, as all you're paying for is +0.1ghz which you'd get from overclocking anyway (well actually around +1.2ghz)

It's actually worse; it has no integrated graphics and it's dearer. The 2550K should never have come into existence!

... or maybe it was a typo and supposed to be 2500K anyway?

Advertisement