Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracking links from my emails?

Options
  • 22-03-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Hope this is the best place to ask. I'm not sure if it can be done, but I'm sure there must be some way.

My problem is that I send out many emails which contain links to a video I have been trying to promote. The video is hosted on vimeo, and I can see that it is getting X amount of views day by day, but I have no way of knowing where those views come from.

I know they are coming from the emails I'm sending, but I'm curious to find out if there is any sort of software or link wrapping tool which could track what people/email addresses are clicking the links in my emails.

Hope that's clear!

Cheers,
    V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How much information do you need?

Can you give everyone a unique link to your website, which then re-directs to the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

I was hoping that there might be a way of using the one link.

All I'm looking to find out is from what email address the click came from.

Cheers,
    V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sounds like MailChimp have just what you need, even on their free plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Generate a unique link to your own site for each email e.g. (assuming your using ASP.NET, similar can be done using PHP, or any server-side language) example.com/email/20120323.aspx?id=czuivcugk. On 20120323.aspx, your code should connect to your database, and match the id part of the query string with the email address that link was sent to. Once that's done, redirect them to the vimeo address. From the point of view of the user, it will be (nearly) instantaneous

EDIT: This is basically what mail trackers like MailChimp and MadMimi do, so if you're not much of a coder, use one of them

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

As well as mailchimp check out www.madmimi.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement