Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surround Sound vs 2.1 (Denon AVR-1912)

• 22-03-2012 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about picking up a Denon AVR-1912. I'm not really that pushed about having full surround sound, so I was wondering if it would be worth my while getting an entry-level 5.1 speaker package (something like the Pioneer SHS100) or better to get a couple of decent bookshelf speakers (something like Gale Silver/Golds or JBL Control 1s), and then add a sub and maybe a centre as I go along. Would this be a common set-up?

Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Why are you looking at a avr in the first place? Why not just get a good stereo setup?
    If it's for hd audio, spend extra on a oppo or similar with analogue out and get a lot more for your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Well I already have a blu-ray player on the PS3 so I'm looking for a receiver with solid sound quality and a decent spec which has some measure of future-proofing. Basically the ability to start off with what I need now, ie 2.1, plus the ability to expand to 5.1+ if I want/need it in the future and not be left with an obsolete amp in a few years' time. I'd never heard of Oppo until you mentioned them. Looks like they only do players? And for a single component they're out of my price range unfortunately. Really just looking to see if I'm barking up the wrong tree with the 2.0 to 2.1 and onwards idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

guerito wrote: »
    Really just looking to see if I'm barking up the wrong tree with the 2.0 to 2.1 and onwards idea.
    Not at all, better speakers will improve the setup - my suggestions were more if you had no intention of going surround sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Pepsie

Hi guerito,
    I was where you are now a few years ago & I started off with purchasing the best AVR that I could afford, which at the time was a mid range Denon.
    The Denon AVR-1912 that you have chosen is an excellent receiver, demonstrating very good value to quality & features. I would recommend the best option for you is to build up a full speaker set-up over time, by only only purchasing the best speakers you can afford over time, rather than purchasing a low to mid quality 5-1 speaker set now. If you can, steer clear of entry-level 5.1 speaker sets, because they will sound poor entry-level quality.

If you can start by purchasing a very good pair of bookshelf speakers for front left & right use, (like the excellent Monitor Audio BX2 or similar quality). Then at a later time purchase a good pair of Floor standing speakers (again like the excellent Monitor Audio BX5) for front left & right use and then place your existing bookshelf speakers for rear left & right use. And later again, pick up yourself a good front centre speak & sub.
    I would also highly recommend the chaps here on Boards.ie, Richer Sounds Belfast for not only some very good deals, but also good advise. You will find them under: Biz -> Talk to -> RicherSounds.ie
    Best of luck with your new system, it will prove endless hours of joy,
    Pepsie

Thanks guys. Off to Richer Sounds I go :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

+1 to the above advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

For the OP, i would stay clear of the JBL control 1's, for some reason they have been called monitors but they are pretty far from it. I have a pair for my computer where they are fine (could do with more bass), i got them cheap (30 quid) but no way would I pay more than that for them. They are rugged and relatively light and you will see them in pubs all over the place (mostly because of the metal grill and plasticky body I suppose).

Cheers BigEejit. Looking at either a pair of Cambridge s30s or s20s (which would get shunted to the rear when I fill out the set).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Dont know what your budget is but I got wharfedale diamond 9.1's and they are great. I only have 2.1 setup with a wharfedale sw150 subwoofer and a Denon DM37dab and it sounds fantastic. The 2 speakers and sub came to 270 quid and the denon came to 160 ish and another 30 quid on cables and speaker stands.

Whatever you pick, go to a proper sound shop and listen to whatever you are thinking of buying. I was shocked by the differences between some of them.

Budget for the first 2 speakers is GBP100-ish (Richer Sounds/Superfi prices). It was RS pointed me in the direction of the Cambridges as a 2.0 starter, as they can easily be added to. Looking into it, the Wharfedales seem to be very well-regarded, and Superfi have a pair plus the SW150 sub for GBP229. Decisions...

• Advertisement
Advertisement