Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

growing spuds

Options
  • 22-03-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

hi,
    two questions.

I got a packet of seed potatoes last week and i've left them out doors to chit. There's hardly any sprouts on them. Can i speed up the process in anyway or will i be okay to just wait a few weeks and let them sprout. They're earlies and i don't want to leave it too late to plant them although i don't know if that'll be an issue

Also, i'll just be planting the one bag of potatoes. How can i spread out the harvest time so they're not all ready for harvest at the one time. If i plant a batch at one time and plant another batch later will they be ready for harvest at different times?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

radiat wrote: »
    hi,
    two questions.

I got a packet of seed potatoes last week and i've left them out doors to chit. There's hardly any sprouts on them. Can i speed up the process in anyway or will i be okay to just wait a few weeks and let them sprout. They're earlies and i don't want to leave it too late to plant them although i don't know if that'll be an issue

Also, i'll just be planting the one bag of potatoes. How can i spread out the harvest time so they're not all ready for harvest at the one time. If i plant a batch at one time and plant another batch later will they be ready for harvest at different times?

Thanks.

They might be too cold outside to chit, bring them in and they will probably start off quicker...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i vaguely remember gardener's world doing a chitting vs. sticking them straight in the ground test a few years ago, and found that there was little difference in the two approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭fatoftheland

you can plant earlies from now till end of april and it ok to start harvesting from 12 weeks on to twenty weeks so you ll be ok

Advertisement