Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Variable Base Rate (Definition needed)

Options
  • 22-03-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My 5 years fixed Mortgage is up in June. I dug out the original loan agreement, it says that after 5 years the loan will convert to the "Variable Base Rate".

Can anyone clarify if this means their standard variable rate or is it possibly a tracker. The use of the word "base" is confusing as none of the rates advertised on the EBS Website have it in the wording. Praying it means tracker but knowing my luck probably not!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I'd imagine it's the standard variable rate but ring your bank to verify

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Thanks, i'll give them a ring today but chances are they'll try to fob me off and insist that "variable base" means "standard variable rate".

It's just a strange wording and I was hoping someone working in banking would have an idea. I'm sure i'm not the only person with this type of loan agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Thanks, i'll give them a ring today but chances are they'll try to fob me off and insist that "variable base" means "standard variable rate".

It's just a strange wording and I was hoping someone working in banking would have an idea. I'm sure i'm not the only person with this type of loan agreement.

If you were moving to a tracker at the expiry of the fixed rate your original offer would show that at expiry of the 5 yrs your new rate would be ECB +X. If it just says Variable Base Rate I'd imagine it'll just be the SVR. Was the 5 yr fixed the rate you opted for when you purchased or were you on a different rate prior to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

killers1 wrote: »
    Fishyfreak wrote: »

If you were moving to a tracker at the expiry of the fixed rate your original offer would show that at expiry of the 5 yrs your new rate would be ECB +X. If it just says Variable Base Rate I'd imagine it'll just be the SVR. Was the 5 yr fixed the rate you opted for when you purchased or were you on a different rate prior to that?

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, it was fixed from the very start of the mortgage. Looks like I'll be moving from one crippling interest rate to another :(

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭themoneyguy

Im sorry.

Unless it states a margin I would expect it to mean the variable Rate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Standard variable. Not a tracker.

Advertisement