Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help A1 in english...?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

David1994 wrote: »
    That is like my school where nobody got a A :/ I got a B3 and normally do much better and hoping for at least an A2. The English in my school are excellent but not sure why nobody did that good haha.
    It was the exact same in my school. Got a B1 which was the highest in my year! The teacher said the papers were marked really hard though. Was kind of disappointed because I was looking for the A1 but hopefully I'll have it in June! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

In my school my measly C1 was the highest grade! Most people got around a D grade or failed. We have some really thick unmotivated students. Amount of people failing other subjects is incredible, too. About a third of the class failed OL Maths and about a half failed OL Irish. Nobody is doing HL Irish. A good few people dropped to Foundation!

I only realised at the start of 6th year I was in the wrong school :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

subz3r0 wrote: »
    In my school my measly C1 was the highest grade! Most people got around a D grade or failed. We have some really thick unmotivated students. Amount of people failing other subjects is incredible, too. About a third of the class failed OL Maths and about a half failed OL Irish. Nobody is doing HL Irish. A good few people dropped to Foundation!

Hahah sounds like my school except for the fact that the terrible grades are due mostly to lazyness lol. We've had three year meetings already about our lack of motivation!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Believe me if you think your year is bad, my year is worse:p It has to be:rolleyes:
    Exact same thing with the maths half my class failed:eek: Our English teacher is always on about how much better his class were last year...
    Few people got zero points in the mocks too..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

In my school last year a lot of the year failed subjects in their mocks including me .And I didn't get the results I'd hoped in the actual lc for apart from in english. I haven't failed anything this year and I feel more motivated , procrastination was a big issue for me last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unless the mocks are being marked by people who correct for the SEC they're not really that useful as a guide.

There have been examples of horrifically bad marking in this year's mocks. There is no reason to think English didn't escape.

All you can do is your best and make sure to answer the question you are asked, not the one you are expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Would it be worth trying to start studying for English now? It didn't make my top 6 in the Mocks but I hadn't put any work in. Anyone know the minimum amount I'd have to put in to improve on a B2? Do people generally do better in Paper 1 or Paper 2? I got the same in both give or take a few marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

yayyyyyy!!
    Don't worry we'll all get the A1 in June , just learn your respective texts!!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

I got a C in my English Mocks when i did them in 2008 (I got 63 or 68 cant remember which) and then I got 95% in the real thing.

Its all down to the markers. The one I got gave me 100 marks in the essay, I didn't think that would be possible. I did a magazine article and made it up there and then.

I had given up on counting English for points, I had just kinda learned off some stuff on the comparative text and play and poets so I wouldn't be stuck for something to write. I didn't have a broad range of topics covered and probably got lucky that what i did have prepared fitted into the questions asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Hey op, I got a B3 in the mocks which I was disappointed with, and my teacher made a point of saying not to expect to do that well in the actual exam. I got an A1, and I believe what put me ahead of the rest was knowing my texts very well (esp themes and comparisons) and a descriptive and original essay (wish I could have it back, it was my best ever essay).

They're not generous with an A1, in our school every year no more than one person got an A1, so that was about 1 in 25.

• Advertisement
Advertisement