Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.T Blanchardstown or I.T. Tallaght

Options
  • 22-03-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hello All,

I need some help please. I have applied for computer courses for both colleges mentioned above.

Which college is better in your opinion regarding the Computer courses and why??

I would really appreciate your feedback......Thank you in advance!!!

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bikerg

DeXtER1978 wrote: »
    Hello All,

I need some help please. I have applied for computer courses for both colleges mentioned above.

Which college is better in your opinion regarding the Computer courses and why??

I would really appreciate your feedback......Thank you in advance!!!

D.

I can not comment on Tallaght, but the computer science degree in ITB is all about software programming, they have advertised forensics as an option, but for the last 3 year's that part of the course has never ran. If you like computer programming, using Unity, Rose, PHP then you will like Blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DeXtER1978

bikerg wrote: »
    I can not comment on Tallaght, but the computer science degree in ITB is all about software programming, they have advertised forensics as an option, but for the last 3 year's that part of the course has never ran. If you like computer programming, using Unity, Rose, PHP then you will like Blanch.

Cheers!!!

Cheers!!!
    While yes, programming is a big chunk of the course, you also do a lot of networking!

You do every aspect of computers science, and do many programming/scripting languages such as Java, PHP, JavaScript, C, C# (Unity Game Development), Assembly (not sure if some of these are still done, but I've done them all).

Like Bikerg said, I can't comment on Tallaght neither as I haven't been. One thing I can confirm is that either ITB or CIT have the best networking graduates in Ireland, due to the amount of actual work on actual hardware we do.

If you are really interested in computer science and programming, I would strongly recommend teaching yourself some Java as this will help you immensely through you studies!

A great site for teaching yourself programming is http://thenewboston.com. I am using it to teach myself Android Development currently.

LaughingJoker91 - Thank you for your reply, that is awesome help!!!

Tbh, I'm a total noob when it comes to computer science and programming, however it does appeal to me.

I did try and start to do home tutorials on Java - Mark Dexter, but I will use the link you gave me also!!!

Fair play for the advice, really appreciate it!!!

LaughingJoker91 - Thank you for your reply, that is awesome help!!!

Tbh, I'm a total noob when it comes to computer science and programming, however it does appeal to me.

I did try and start to do home tutorials on Java - Mark Dexter, but I will use the link you gave me also!!!

Fair play for the advice, really appreciate it!!!
    No problem. A quick google of Mark Dexter seems to be he is associated with Eclipse? While I love Eclipse and use it for all my development, I would recommend you do not use it when learning as, in the long run, it will do you no good.

The college use a program called Textpad for first year/half of second year, it's not free open source, however, it is free to use, and doesn't require a license key etc and can compile and run Java using keyboard shortcuts (provided Java JDK is installed before textpad is installed ( in textpad Tools>External Tools>Compile Java))

Most students on this specific forum are from CS course, so I assume you will get some other replies.

• Advertisement

No problem. A quick google of Mark Dexter seems to be he is associated with Eclipse? While I love Eclipse and use it for all my development, I would recommend you do not use it when learning as, in the long run, it will do you no good.

The college use a program called Textpad for first year/half of second year, it's not free open source, however, it is free to use, and doesn't require a license key etc and can compile and run Java using keyboard shortcuts (provided Java JDK is installed before textpad is installed ( in textpad Tools>External Tools>Compile Java))

Most students on this specific forum are from CS course, so I assume you will get some other replies.

Ok so, Ill listen to your advice - Mark Dexter - l8rs :P. Ill try get the Java SE (JDK) then ill download Textpad.

PS Im using Mac atm, so finding it hard to get Java SE (JDK)......Ill find it eventually!!! :)

Thank you for your input!!

Ok so, Ill listen to your advice - Mark Dexter - l8rs :P. Ill try get the Java SE (JDK) then ill download Textpad.

PS Im using Mac atm, so finding it hard to get Java SE (JDK)......Ill find it eventually!!! :)

Thank you for your input!!
    I don't think Apple support Java, although I could be wrong. I would say just do a dual boot with windows or insall a virtual machine install, as all working on the CS course is done through Windows.

Edit:
    After a quick Google, apparently, the JDK comes pre built into Mac?
    http://java.about.com/od/gettingstarted/a/javamacosx.htm

Also I don't think Textpad works on Mac.

I don't think Apple support Java, although I could be wrong. I would say just do a dual boot with windows or insall a virtual machine install, as all working on the CS course is done through Windows.

Edit:
    After a quick Google, apparently, the JDK comes pre built into Mac?
    http://java.about.com/od/gettingstarted/a/javamacosx.htm

Also I don't think Textpad works on Mac.

I've just come across that too that Java is already installed when you buy the mac.....

I gave my parents my old 17" Sony Windows laptop so gonna have to grab that back and learn on both systems so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

I'd just download eclipse, one of the zip ones for mac and away you go. While I agree starting out with text pad made me a good programmer.... for learning on your own eclipse will make a bit more sense after you get over the ...where do I write the damn code hurdle.

Also I wouldn't be too concerned about becoming amazing at coding before doing cs, if it's a big concern then by all means go ahead, being more advanced then half the people in the class will mean you can hit the ground running, but they do aim the course at total beginners. It accelerates quickly though!

One of the top lads in my class openly admits only buying a desktop a week before starting cs... because it seemed like the thing to do.

In terms of itb or itt.. I'd choose the easiest for you to get to. Whichever is handiest and quickest to get to should be a big factor in your decision. As it's the only gripe most people have.

brendanL wrote: »
    I'd just download eclipse, one of the zip ones for mac and away you go. While I agree starting out with text pad made me a good programmer.... for learning on your own eclipse will make a bit more sense after you get over the ...where do I write the damn code hurdle.

Also I wouldn't be too concerned about becoming amazing at coding before doing cs, if it's a big concern then by all means go ahead, being more advanced then half the people in the class will mean you can hit the ground running, but they do aim the course at total beginners. It accelerates quickly though!

One of the top lads in my class openly admits only buying a desktop a week before starting cs... because it seemed like the thing to do.

In terms of itb or itt.. I'd choose the easiest for you to get to. Whichever is handiest and quickest to get to should be a big factor in your decision. As it's the only gripe most people have.

Cheers for the brendanL!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JD81

I've just come across that too that Java is already installed when you buy the mac.....

I gave my parents my old 17" Sony Windows laptop so gonna have to grab that back and learn on both systems so :)

Hey there,
    Im doing digital media in ITB and working on web development, i use a mac and the alternative to textpad on mac is called smultron, works great.
    Theres a new version on the app store but the old version is free and you can get it here http://sourceforge.net/projects/smultron/?_test=b

JD81 wrote: »
    Hey there,
    Im doing digital media in ITB and working on web development, i use a mac and the alternative to textpad on mac is called smultron, works great.
    Theres a new version on the app store but the old version is free and you can get it here http://sourceforge.net/projects/smultron/?_test=b

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gibson10

Hey, did u do the computer science degree or the higher diploma in Blanchardstown IT and what year? I have got a place on the H Dip so i'd say they're fairly similar. If u don't mind i'd like to ask u a few questions about the course/college. I have a technical backround but very strong on modern software development, and i'd like to do some pre-work before the course starts in sept. Can u suggest/recommend any s/ware dev books that are/were used on the course?
    What s/w packages are advisable to download and start working on?
    Would u think that u would want to have a strong backround in computers or what level do they start at?
    And are the lecturers helpful? What kind of hours per week and what particular days/eves/saturdays are involved?
    Hope that's not too much bother, thanks in advance........

that was meant to read "NOT" very strong on software development.....

Gibson10 wrote: »
    Hey, did u do the computer science degree or the higher diploma in Blanchardstown IT and what year? I have got a place on the H Dip so i'd say they're fairly similar. If u don't mind i'd like to ask u a few questions about the course/college. I have a technical backround but very strong on modern software development, and i'd like to do some pre-work before the course starts in sept. Can u suggest/recommend any s/ware dev books that are/were used on the course?
    What s/w packages are advisable to download and start working on?
    Would u think that u would want to have a strong backround in computers or what level do they start at?
    And are the lecturers helpful? What kind of hours per week and what particular days/eves/saturdays are involved?
    Hope that's not too much bother, thanks in advance........

Hey Gibson,

I went with Tallaght IT in the end. I just finished first year and I wouldn't worry about S Dev. Imho don't buy a book, waste of money - wait until 2/3rd year to get a book! They take it really slowly, provide savage notes and some lecturers provide excellent screen-casts!

You do not need a strong back ground in computers, I was a fire engineer for 10 years lost my job and as a hobby like computers and decided to do this degree course.

Yes the lecturers are extremely good in Tallaght.

No hours at the weekend, I was in 2/3 full days and two not so full days. Either start last in the day or finish early in the day i.e. 11am start or 1/2pm finish.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that. The H Dip is actually only one year so i'd say it'll be quite intensive so that's why i want to try get a head start cos it's been a while since i had my head in the books! I'm sure both colleges will have similar course direction, any recommendations which software packages to download and start working on? Java anyway......anything else? Thanks

Gibson10 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. The H Dip is actually only one year so i'd say it'll be quite intensive so that's why i want to try get a head start cos it's been a while since i had my head in the books! I'm sure both colleges will have similar course direction, any recommendations which software packages to download and start working on? Java anyway......anything else? Thanks
    Look into Linux (terminal commands etc) and do some HTML/CSS.

Advertisement