Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to squat

Options
  • 22-03-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Ive been doing the starting strenght program 6 weeks and im really enjoying it but Ive started training for a 10km race. Im finding that I cant really up the weights and get the km's in everyweek so im gonna contiune on the program without the squats. I know it wont be the same but I just enjoy going to the gym so just looking for an exercise that would be abit easier on the legs. Or even two different ones that I could alternate each day.

After the race im gonna start back on the SS program so just looking something to add to the two other exercises in the mean time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

What about cutting back the frequency. Go heavy once or twice a week and lighter or not at all midweek.

I can't think of an easy way to train legs really without it being a waste of time. Single leg work might be easier on the rest of your body and easier to recover from but would still be quite hard on the legs.

I think you could just program it differently so that your weight training doesn't affect your cycling as much and vice versa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    What about cutting back the frequency. Go heavy once or twice a week and lighter or not at all midweek.

I can't think of an easy way to train legs really without it being a waste of time. Single leg work might be easier on the rest of your body and easier to recover from but would still be quite hard on the legs.

I think you could just program it differently so that your weight training doesn't affect your cycling as much and vice versa.

I'd be largely in agreement here.

Squat relatively hard once a week, keep the reps per sets low and the sets high. Try to squat as close as possible to after your big run to maximise the recovery time you have. Your numbers will suffer but c'est la vie.

Single leg stuff like step ups, lunges and single leg DLs would probably be an option on the other days. Could potentially be beneficial from an injury prevention stand point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As above, I'd keep going heavy once a week.
    I was training for two runs last year, 14km and 9km. I kept a squat day going every week.

Was something like, 4 days a week,

Legs/Shoulders
    Short cardio, tempo, intervals
    Chest/Back
    Longer run

I was also doing 1-3km light running before and/or after weights. I peaked at about 32km per week

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

How soon is the 10k? Have you just started running and lifting?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement