Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job as dog/ puppy trainer with Irish guide dogs

• 22-03-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi I would love to work with Irish guide dogs and become a dog trainer where do I begin? What qualifications or training would be recommended?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

First is you will need to learn how to break a dogs natural spirit. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

Galway K9 wrote: »
    First is you will need to learn how to break a dogs natural spirit. :(
    Yeah, those blind people should just go and f-ck themselves, right?

Working dogs aren't anything new, Galway K9. They get a great life, perform an invaluable service and retire into nice homes. To somehow turn it into a negative thing is considerably shallow.

Elainee, I'm not too sure what qualifications would be needed. Email info@guidedogs.ie and find out though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Galway K9 - if you've nothing helpful to add, don't post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

The best way to begin a working relationship with the Irish Guide Dogs would be to become a " Puppy Walker" with them & take on the responsibility for the first 12mths of the dogs life, & am sure you could progress from their. TBH I would reckon at their training centre many of the trainers started out by being " Puppy Walkers" themselves.
    elainee wrote: »
    Hi I would love to work with Irish guide dogs and become a dog trainer where do I begin? What qualifications or training would be recommended?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Yeah, those blind people should just go and f-ck themselves, right?

Working dogs aren't anything new, Galway K9. They get a great life, perform an invaluable service and retire into nice homes. To somehow turn it into a negative thing is considerably shallow.

Elainee, I'm not too sure what qualifications would be needed. Email info@guidedogs.ie and find out though!

I prob shouldn't have posted, its just I've experience with it abd have yet to see a happy guide dog. Anyways I withdraw my comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Hey elainee this link might help give you more info either...

http://puppyhector.weebly.com/

Best of luck!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

PM Suziwalsh here on Boards. As well as being totally amazing, she is involved in Guide Dog training.

I have never met an unhappy guide dog & I think that the bond between a guide dog & it's owner is remarkable. These dogs also do a huge service in that they reinforce the image that dogs should be cherished & not seen as something disposable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

marley123 wrote: »
    The best way to begin a working relationship with the Irish Guide Dogs would be to become a " Puppy Walker" with them & take on the responsibility for the first 12mths of the dogs life, & am sure you could progress from their. TBH I would reckon at their training centre many of the trainers started out by being " Puppy Walkers" themselves.
    elainee wrote: »
    Thanks in advance

Is it you who has a puppy in training marley? How are you finding it? I'd love to do it tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

Hi, not trying to "bump" the thread but I saw this and decided to answer it. I am currently undertaking my first stint as a puppy walker. I have to say that I had no idea of what it really entailed until I was in at the deep end as it were. It requires serious commitment, energy and hard work. Its not like doing a few hours of charity work here or there. You have chief responsibility for the puppy 24/7. On the plus side, these dogs had serious personality and intelligence. You get great satisfaction from people coming up to you and telling you the serious difference that these dogs make to their lives. These puppies not only are destined to help blind people but also may end up helping others such as the elderly or those suffering from autism. Classes are run on a monthly basis where coffee/ tea is provided. There are a few free runs where the puppies meet up to play and run with each other usually at a park or a beach. Its quite sociable as well. I meet up with two other walkers from my dogs litter. Its a very worth while experience.

Advertisement