Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A theory about Final Fantasy

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Second one got released in Europe 2 weeks ago as well. Very limited release though, no shops have it so can only get it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    From what I hear it's just a cultural thing especially considering how work focused the country is.

Don't want to throw this waaaay off course, but it's more to do with family.

While they do work ridiculous hours, single office workers tend to game quite a bit still, especially if they're still young. The mid 20's guys I work with talk to me about gaming all the time, and they're always interested in what western games I'm playing, likewise I get the info on their interests.

On the other hand, guys the same age that are married tend to have given up gaming altogether.

Poor bastards.... :(

Anyway, that's just what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kaldea

I wish they'd remake vi, it does have an amazing storyline!
    While they do work ridiculous hours, single office workers tend to game quite a bit still, especially if they're still young. The mid 20's guys I work with talk to me about gaming all the time, and they're always interested in what western games I'm playing, likewise I get the info on their interests.

On the other hand, guys the same age that are married tend to have given up gaming altogether.

To go further off topic! I'm a female gamer in my 20s and I can safely say I have no one to talk about gaming with in work (mostly cause its women i work with and well the percentage of female gamers is low to begin with!) I actually joined boards so I could chat bout my fav games and such! Final Fantasy is at the top of that list! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Kaldea wrote: »

I'm a female gamer in my 20s
    :eek:

PM sent!:D

Only messing!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kaldea

Ha! I'm happy to talk to anyone bout gaming! Especially final fantasy! Kinda miss the fact that I can't since I left school! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

Finally, people that appreciate what final fantasy is meant to be like: IX

By far my favourite. The characters just make it so special, they're really an ensemble. And the supporting antagonists like Zorn & Thorn are just brilliant

X is also very nice, incidentally I think thy both IX & X have the best soundtracks by far.

I replay them periodically, play all of them over period of like 2 years, give it a year break again then play. I have to do all of the sidequests too. Completed nine most recently again for the.. 6th time ? Never gets boring even though I know what's going to happen; in fact I like the familiarity and nostalgia it brings.

For the past year I've been DYING to play X but I'm determined to wait until the HD port comes out in full glory on le ps3.

IV, VI (Kefka!) and VIII are good games, but ones that you really have to be in the mood to play.

Don't know why, I kinda stayed clear of FFVII. Think the futuristic theme out me off.. I have it, but now playing it feels like a chore since I feel as though I need to play all of the jillion prequels/sequels too..

Final Fantasy stopped being Final Fantay after X.

I've noticed a general trend of VI nearly always being the least favourite - why do you think that is? Apart from the fact that the villains name is EXDEATH of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

actually I'll say it once and I'll say it again:

FFXII Revenant Wings for the DS.

I though it was an absolute little joy to play. IMO It has that thing the good old titles(and not just the good old FF titles) have in that once you've finished playing it, you look back at it fondly.

The battle system is not-too-bad sort of Fort Condor meets FFTactics, meets Command & Conquer. if you like it great, if you don't like it, set it to max speed (still quiet slow) and just cross the t's and dot the i's in order to follow the plot.

Speaking of which the story is nice and has charm and personality (even lending some to the otherwise "vanilla" Ashe, Penelo and co),
    Big moments are delivered too in magnificent bit-rate challenged grandeur like the
    end-of-disk style complete ****ing demolition of the Skysea by Bahamut, and the chapter dealing with the ill-fated Feol Viera
    The over arching story is beautiful and tragic too.

Bright little gem. which now I think about it has a lot to thank Suik I/II for actually. when you're running your "base" you get a definite sense of something which falls between the traditional Suikoden "base" and the BoF fairy village. basically your base eventually becomes like a little mobile village populated by the various characters you've picked up along the way who've taken on odd jobs, shop running, smiting, decoration the place with crap you've earned or asking which flowers you'd like decorating the place and telling you reams of useless but endearing crap you didn't need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

PandaX9 wrote: »
    Finally, people that appreciate what final fantasy is meant to be like: IX

By far my favourite. The characters just make it so special, they're really an ensemble. And the supporting antagonists like Zorn & Thorn are just brilliant

X is also very nice, incidentally I think thy both IX & X have the best soundtracks by far.

I replay them periodically, play all of them over period of like 2 years, give it a year break again then play. I have to do all of the sidequests too. Completed nine most recently again for the.. 6th time ? Never gets boring even though I know what's going to happen; in fact I like the familiarity and nostalgia it brings.

For the past year I've been DYING to play X but I'm determined to wait until the HD port comes out in full glory on le ps3.

Final Fantasy stopped being Final Fantay after X.

This is exactly how i feel. IX Is the best FF followed closely by X.

The soundtrack of IX & X are amazing and story wise their simply astounding. I only just finished IX a week ago, still training to beat Ozma and doing the chocobo stuff.

The HD port of X for PS3 is top of my wishlist this year. If im only allowed 1 game this year, id want that.

FF stopped being FF after X but i did enjoy playing XII, it was fun but not in the same league as the others. XIII was woeful.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

F1ngers wrote: »
    No, FF VII was my first and while it is a brilliant game, I prefer IX now.

Bingo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I liked IX but in hindsight the levelling-up/equipping system didn't allow for enough customisation. If you think about it, by the end of the game two players playing the game independently would likely end up with the exact same abilities/moves/etc. So I never felt like I controlled the development of the character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Tough to say. FFVIII is one of my most favoured games of all time, but FFX is right up there with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

I can't understand how anyone could like 10!

Seriously, it was utter shite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

penev10 wrote: »
    Basically it was argues that in another generation a different game will wrench the "best ever" title away from OOT based on the nostalgia of the then vocal group.

God I hope that doesn't end up being Gears of War :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

My first was Mystic Quest.

I don't think its my favorite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think it's anyone's favourite. Sure it's more a Saga game than final fantasy and only weirdos like the Saga games.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure I played another one on gameboy which was more like an FF game.
    I don't remember much about it, but a **** load of weapons, a fight against Odin and some jumping around dimensions or planets or something.

My favourite is still FF9.
    If it had a bit more stuff on the side and quirky story bits like 7 and maybe more than one optional impossible fecker, It would be near perfect.

The only FF games on Gameboy were FF Adventure which was actually the first game in the Mana series and the three FF Legend games which were actually the first three games in the Saga series, although I kind of like those ones.

Think it might have been Adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

Nah, no way OP.

My first was IV. And even while playing and enjoying most of it (f**k the Lunar Subternate and death fake outs) I was acutely aware that there was better on offer. Cecil and Kain are pure ledge though, so it has it's place in my heart. :D

It was actually V that I fell in love with, well the first half of the game anyway. Having 4 constant party members already puts it ahead of IV. Add in true ATB, the skill linking, and getting different jobs every hour just put it over board. It has some of the deepest RPG elements in the whole series imo. Which makes it all the more soul crushing when it falls apart after the 2nd world. It just becomes dungeon after dungeon after dungeon. With weak bosses that have 1 shot abilities :rolleyes:

VI is now my official go to though. You just couldn't replicate the conditions it was made under. It was Square coming towards the end of the line with the Snes, with basically just Chrono T left in the pipeline. It had the scope of IV, but actually delivered, At least some of V's depth with the relic and magicite stuff. And it finally abandoned the damn Crystals storyline and actually gave us the type storyline which we could expect up to XII. It's a pure legend of a game.

As for the PS1 games, I like them ofc but sorta sub-categorize em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

I can't understand how anyone could like 10!

Seriously, it was utter shite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you for that thoughtful and insightful analysis. Tell me more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

7 was the first game i played on my ps1, and its still an amazing game imo

Advertisement