Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram Upgrade DDR2

Options
  • 22-03-2012 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Just looking for someone who would have info on upgrading the RAM in my current desktop. At the moment its only got 3GB DDR2. I was hoping to get around 6GB just for faster processing more then anything. Some light gaming (WoW,minecraft,starcraft)

I dont know to much about computer upgrading so any advice is welcome. Also dont want to spend to much on it, but im not sure what a good brand or make is for RAM.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

It'll all depend on what type of Windows OS you have at the moment.
    32-bit Windows only supports 4GB Ram max (actually it's less).
    Only the 64-bit Windows versions can do 4GB+ of RAM.

Check what type of OS you have at the moment by going to Control Panel / System and see what it says there.

If it's 32-bit there's probably no point in upgrading to get an <1GB of extra RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

to be honest you wont feel any difference if you will bump up from 3gb to 6gb.

max you will ever need for gaming rig is 4gb, but 3gb will do if you wont have multitasking. when playing any game check the ram usage. it wont be maxed out. ( my old pc is 3gb ram too )

games like SC2 are very dependant on CPU. if you are looking to increase performance in games, then your best bet is to update your gpu, not ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Its a 64 bit windows home premium OS. Any ideas on cost for upgrading CPU. If i did that would i need to upgrade my PSU aswel?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well first of al using know what CPU you got now and what system it is. And my crystal ball can't reach your mind, strange... ;)
    What CPU and psu you got?

Advertisement